People remembering how you were from the last time they saw you.

Do you ever have this happen? Like for example, you haven't seen a person for a long time, it could be a few months, it could even be a year, maybe even more. Now over time, people can grow, people can change their mindsets a little, but you see someone that you haven't been in contact with for a long time, the person still paints a picture of how you were from the last time you had any contact with that person. From personal experience, someone remembered how I acted as a teen or what I had done, and a person whom I hadn't talked to in some time saw me again, the person asked me if I still do said stuff. I told that person that I do different things now.

I could just imagine if I come into contact with someone who I saw started liking me a lot less when I used to be on the college newspaper with him. Despite it being more than three years we were on the staff together, he could probably still maintain his sour attitude with me, even though I had not been in presence in such a long time and I more than likely don't act the same way as I did then.

Has this happened to you? Why do people expect others to be the same person as they remembered them? I mean I can understand memories and reliving them, but people grow and change aspects at times.

Well part of it is simple. The only way you think about someone who you haven't seen in years is who they were, because you don't know anything about the person they are now. So if you see them again, you go by whatever you know about them. Even if it was some time ago.

Some people change all the time. Some people don't change at all. I know I'm not the person I was a year ago, let alone 3 or 5 or (whoa!) 10. But there are still some things I do that have remained constant throughout that time. If someone asked me if I still do (xyz activity), I'd just be glad they're interested in me and what I do.

• Like 1

Some people know that we have changed sine we were teenagers and start again with a clean slate. Others aren't so broadminded to the idea that we are mostly very different people now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Okay, I wonder if there is anybody on here who has encountered someone and you expected that person to be the same as you remembered them. Also, have you encountered someone wondering if the person had grown or changed?