Warning: Gross "medical"/ health issue...

I'll try to talk about this as clinically as possible, so as to not be unpleasant. So, I suspect that I have either a hemorrhoid or an anal fissure, and have been dealing with it for a few months now. I had noticed irritation in the area for a while, but didn't think anything of it. Then, a few months ago, for the first time I can remember in my life, I noticed blood in, or I guess more accurately, ON my stool. It freaked me out, and I immediately started getting paranoid and freaked out, and worried about possible cancerous issues. But upon doing some research, it doesn't seem like my problem is that serious, and the irritation in the area seems to point more towards hemorrhoid or anal fissure.

Ever since that first time, I've been keeping an eye on my movements, and it doesn't happen all the time, but I still get blood here and there. Maybe a couple times per week, usually not more than that. And when it's there, it's usually not SUPER apparent.

I guess I should also say, while not diagnosed either, I suspect I've always had some degree of irritable bowel syndrome for much of my life. This morning, I had to make several trips to the bathroom, I suspect because of what I had for dinner last night, and each time, I bled quite a bit, especially the last time...

Like I said, I feel like the symptoms generally point to something that's not overly serious, but a lot of what I read said that hemorrhoids and anal fissures usually heal on their own after several weeks, but this has been something of an off-and-on issue for me for 3-ish months now. And while it doesn't seem overly serious, it still makes me feel pretty rattled when I see blood. Anyone have any insight or personal experience?

CautiouslyOptimistic

Try a very bland diet for several days to a couple weeks and see if that helps, and then slowly add some foods back in.

FWIW, I had this issue twice (not counting pregnancy) and it was diet related both times. Once it was from flavored creamer in my coffee and the second time it was from BeachBody shakes. There is some ingredient in there that my sweet ass can't handle! ;)

amaysngrace

I'd go to a doctor. Open wounds and fecal matter sound like a recipe for infection to me.

• Like 2
RecentChange

I really don't like to go to doctors, but in this case...

The fact it has been going on for months is worrisome. I would want to see a DR for the peace of mind - that I wasn't in fact dying :lmao:

I have delt with this once in my life - and found it quite alarming! But cleared right up in about two weeks.

Have you tried hemroid cream or other over the counter treatment?

hippychick3

In addition to seeing a doctor to rule out anything serious, you should up your fiber and WATER intake so you are regular (at least once a day everyday). It's very common to have hemorrhoids when you're constipated or not eating enough fiber/drinking water.

• Like 1

get a Rx from a doctor for hemorrhoid cream with cortisone. that should clear it up in a few days to a week

Yup, bright color is usually a blood vessel in the lower colon or a anal sphincter area bleed.

Echo the cortisone prep H stuff and you can smooth things a bit while healing with one of these

I ended up getting the crapshoot of genetics my mom had, with gall bladder issues, and sometimes constipation/hard stools are part of that, regardless of diet. Once I put the pieces together about a decade ago, made some changes and no more bowel-related problems and no expensive surgery either. If you've had IBS, the constipation part of it is usually what promotes the 'roids and anal issues.

If you're older, once things resolve, get the colon scoped if not recently done, or at least get a stool test. That'll resolve any cancer worries and then you can work on an IBS diet and smooth things along as needed. Part of life.

The single best thing to heal an anal fissure is Restoralax/Miralax. It's safe to use daily and not habit forming. It softens the stool so that your body has a chance to heal - it will not reinsure every time you have a BM. A week or two with the med and you should be so much better... Drink lots of fluid, increase your fiber, and try to relax.

See a doctor if it continues. Good luck.

• Author

Haven't tried any creams yet, but that's probably my next move.

I'm... skittish of going to doctors. Mainly because while I have medical coverage from work, I still end up having to pay quite a bit, and money is always tight for me, so I only really go if I feel it's absolutely necessary. While I am perpetually paranoid about stuff like cancer whenever something new happens to me, I think I can rule this one as either a hemorrhoid or a fissure. It's unsettling, and it's frustrating that it hasn't healed, but I don't know that it's necessary to go to the doctor.

Also, I wouldn't say I get constipated; I suppose I didn't really understand IBS when I used that term. I guess what I meant is that the consistency of my stool is generally all over the place; sometimes it's solid, sometimes it's more liquid, sometimes it's very in between. Sometimes I get bouts of having to go multiple times in a short span of time, sometimes there's a lot, sometimes there's a little.

I know my diet has never been good, I don't really think about what I eat and it's probably mostly junk or at least nothing consistent enough to be good for me. But it's not really changed at all over the years, so I don't know if anything in particular is actually a factor.

The trick is staying regular and allowing things to heal. That takes a bit of work. You can experiment with some lifestyle changes and get a routine down so you're not cycling from hard to soft stools.

Oddly, I found those Haribo gummy bears to be a good stool softener and bulker. I got a bag of them one time because Amazon had a price error and found them tasty and then noticed my stools had softened right up and had more motility. Heh.

Another stabilizer, perhaps more applicable to my gall bladder issue than your intestinal stuff, was those generic Kirkland acid reducer pills. Something about them also changes activity of the gall bladder and lessens hard stools, inflammation of the organ and gas. Don't know why but it works.

What I did was experiment with lifestyle changes instead of reaching for surgical and medical options. Overall it's gone well. Amazing when the gut is working right one forgets all about it. You'll figure it out.

whichwayisup

You've been bleeding for 3 months and that's not normal. Get yourself to the Dr and let him/her know your symptoms and what's been going on.

I know it's scary to go get tests done but the sooner you know, at least you'll be able to fix this with the help of the Dr and meds etc..