I've Been Told I Need To Have An Epiphany, But how do I?

I decided to shoot a feature film that is the career I want to get it into.

But I am told by people that I am crazy for wanting to spend my money on something like that and that I have delusions of grandeur, and what not. I am told I need to have an epiphany of some sort in order snap out of it and see it that way.

But do you think that's true? If so, how do I have an epiphany? I don't want to swayed from meeting my goal, but I am open to having one if I new how to, if that's the case.

What do you think?

RecentChange

An Epiphany is defined as a religious coming to Jesus type thing....

I am guessing those who have told you this, are using it more in a "need to face reality" kind of thing.

So.... How do you come to terms with reality?

Start with facts. How close are you to this dream of yours? What is your experience, connections etc etc that would turn this dream into reality?

Perhaps jotting it all down, kinda like a business plan will hit you with reality. Is this feasible? In anyone's wildest imagination? Or are you simply dreaming, with no real world facts to back it up?

The movie business is HARD. I know a few that work in it. From a documentary film director who has managed to get a film to Cannes, to someone who works with Skywalker Productions, and some artists that do short films.

All had years of work and education under their belts, financial backing, and other opportunities to make it happen.

• Like 1
  • Author

Okay thanks. I've helped other people with their projects over the past few years and made a couple of short films on my own so far, with a third in progress now.

Basically I went through my life making a lot of bad mistakes and bad decisions, not taking anything seriously. Until one day, about a few years ago, I just woke up and regretted every career choice ever made, as well as many social decisions I made as well.

So I feel like it's true that I am taking short cuts, but I am already 33 going on 34 and I am not able to time travel back and get 14 plus years of experience under my belt. I have to take a short cut and get into the career I want as I am sick of working jobs I do not like and cannot stand it anymore.

So the reality is, is that yes I am taking shortcuts, but no, I cannot time travel, and I feel like I have to make an unideal decision in an unideal situation. I just graduated from film school but cannot stand my job and cannot stand literally to wait any longer and keep putting my goal off, just because of past mistakes.

Everyone has this attitude that just because I made bad decisions in the past and wasted my life up until a few years ago, I now have to pay for those mistakes and put the goal off even more, instead of trying to make up for them sooner.

I don’t understand what your situation is. But 34 isn’t that old. Research late bloomers. There are a lot of talented, successful people that didn’t start their careers until later in life.

But don’t get yourself into a financial hole!

RecentChange

What is your realistic outline for achieving this goal?

What is the goal? What skills do you have to obtain it? What experience, connections, and financial backing do you have to turn dream into reality?

I think a business plan model would be good for you.

For example, if you want to get a small business loan, you have to draft a business plan. Timeline, budget, your market, how you will compete against the competition, what will your product have that the others will not?

What makes your dream a feasible reality?

• Author

Well I don't know how to answer the question as to what makes it a feasible reality or not. Making a movie doesn't seem to be a feasible reality to anyone outside of the filmmaking business, and it seems from my experience, that it's only a reality in the sense that it takes one to know one. But I'm just going by people I know, and the only ones who accept it as a reality are filmmakers, compared to non-filmmakers.

As for a plan right now, I am just concentrating on getting everything ready, the script, the budget, the locations, the storyboards, and then once I am done that I will move onto casting and crewing and other things.

As for waiting to be a late bloomer I have already done so much waiting and I just want to start now. Why do I have to be late bloomer just cause others say I have to be?

Another thing is, I also really like acting and wanted to play one parts in the script as well, and not only breaking into film directing but acting as well. However, the part I want to play cannot wait any longer for age, unless a make up artist can make me look 20 years younger or however long I am expected to wait.

As for getting myself into a financial hole, I definitely don't want to do that in an ideal world, but every successful director I read about, has had to bet their life saving on the first feature film. It's a normal risk in the industry. Not risking money on making a movie, is like saying don't risk any lives when going to fight aware and be sure to do it safely. It's just can't happen I don't think.

So I feel that even though everyone is telling me I shouldn't do this, at the same time, they are not really qualified to know the risks, and maybe it does take one to know one. But I was told by people I'm delusional, so I don't know...

But when I come up with ideas on how to save money, people tell me the ideas are not feasible either. For example, I found that it would cost less money to make a feature film in Indonesia, so I considered making it there, but people thought that was worse. But the British director who made The Raid did it in Indonesia. Not that I got the idea from that director, I thought about this myself, and then someone told me it was done with The Raid.

But apparently going to another country to save money while making it is not feasible either I am told, so I everyone has this attitude that I shouldn't achieve a goal, if it means getting my hands dirty.

Edited by ironpony
RecentChange

I know people in the film industry as well.

But the directors I know (documentary) aren't making a living off of it, despite critical acclaim and exposure at some of the renowned film festivals. She got her start first with a degree in film, then acting in Hollywood, then started working on her own films.

I do know someone making a good living working for Skywalker sound - but that is totally different.

And another who scrapes by filming for small films. Her dream is to produce herself, but first she is putting in her sweat equity.

My advice? Don't quit your day job, and just keep plugging away at your passion until it becomes something.

As for risking your life savings... Because that is what is done. Well, then you also risk being destitude, but perhaps you are willing to risk everything for this.

Do you have any experience with paid work in this industry? A close mentor who is actually making a living from it?

Edited by RecentChange
  • Author

As for mentors, I only have the people I have worked for so far, but those were just temporary gigs, most of them free, with the last two, being my first payed ones, after a few years of free ones. Still open to working for free though, since I like it.

As for keeping my day job, I can do that until I make the movie, at that time I would have to quit my day job.

I could keep the day job and just wait around to become a director, but that's what I have been doing for the past few years, but it doesn't just happen. It's really hard to be taken seriously unless you have already had a feature film under your belt, and every director seems to have make their first one themselves to break in, that I read about anyway.

Edited by ironpony

Okay...I know next to nothing about the film industry. My past, and future response... is more about pursuing an art which you feel passionate about.

As for waiting to be a late bloomer I have already done so much waiting and I just want to start now. Why do I have to be late bloomer just cause others say I have to be?

That’s not what I meant at all. I was assuming 34 IS a late bloomer (but since I don’t know anything about film, based on your reaction 34 isn’t a late bloomer in your industry). In other careers, industries, arts... 34 IS considered a late bloomer. So- awesome! Even better!

As for getting myself into a financial hole, I definitely don't want to do that in an ideal world, but every successful director I read about, has had to bet their life saving on the first feature film. It's a normal risk in the industry. Not risking money on making a movie, is like saying don't risk any lives when going to fight aware and be sure to do it safely. It's just can't happen I don't think.

I don’t know what your life savings is, so it’s hard to comment. Even so, there is a difference between risking what you already have, and going into debt. Going into debt is what I meant by a “hole”. And I didn’t mean to be discouraging. Don’t risk your whole financial future on this. At least if you’re in the US. We don’t have as strong of a safety net as maybe other countries do.

The late bloomer thing was actually meant to be encouraging.

• Author

Oh yeah 34 is definitely a late bloomer especially for acting which I want to get into as well. But I thought that the responder was saying I should wait longer to take it slower in which case I would be an even more late bloomer. But yes, I am already late.

Well I live in Canada, and it would mean giving up a house to make the movie very possibly, in which case, I would just have to pay rent for the rest of my life maybe.

• Author

Yes sorry, I meant you, I should have mentioned your name. Thanks.

Edited by ironpony
major_merrick

Need an epiphany? Try absinthe.

Just kidding...although drinking some might be a good start. My point in that is...you gotta relax. Wonderful, enlightening, productive thoughts simply don't happen while you are worried. Go about your daily life with a notebook in your back pocket. At random times if you have an idea that is unique or someone offers an interesting thought, write it down. I wouldn't give up your house to make a movie, though. You have to be wise and careful when following your dreams. Taking a leap might seem faster, but if you fall it slows you down longer than if you were more careful.

My husband actually does the notebook thing. He has cool ideas at random times, but can't remember them later. His pockets are full of random scraps of paper with scribbles and drawings...I have to clean them out before the other girls in the house do the laundry. His ideas are generally for more mundane things like building an addition on the house or wiring something new, but there have been a couple of moneymakers in there as well... you never know.

• Author

Okay thanks. I make a lot of mental notes and file them later.

I've helped two other filmmakers make feature film and they do crowdfunding, but I hate asking other people for money, and marketing myself is to the public is not really my greatest strength without any features to show for it yet. I am more a machine person I think, and could use a people person to do the person. But again I hate asking people for money.

I mean I suppose I am thinking with my heart instead if my head, but I asked other filmmakers about it, and they said that you have to think with your heart when it comes to this cause no one thinks with their head and gets a movie made unless they are already rich.