LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

Simple dinner recipes anyone?

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree151Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th March 2018, 12:05 PM   #1
Established Member

Simple dinner recipes anyone?

I want to cook something to make me look I'm not a complete novice and at least semi-capable of crafting a dish

Anything in terms of ingredients that is not too rare will do. No restrictions! I have AllClad cookware, just ..... not too experienced in using it, and when I'm by myself my regular dinners are teen-like (pint of icecream or some pizza usually keeps me alive - I am glad that I still have high metabolism and low blood sugar )

But yeah - if anyone can share a simple dinner that will be enjoyed by a big man (not girl appetizers and alike ) I'd be very very grateful and it will save me half-a-day of browsing and ton of money on random grocery purchases just in case I need them
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 12:22 PM   #2
Established Member

Meatloaf:
1-1/2 pounds Ground Beef
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 cup soft bread crumbs
1 egg
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Topping:
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard

Cooking:
Heat oven to 350F. Measure 1/4 cup tomato sauce; combine with topping ingredients. Set aside.

Combine remaining tomato sauce with remaining meatloaf ingredients in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.

Shape beef mixture into 8 x 4-1/2-inch loaf on rack in broiler pan. Spread topping over meatloaf. Bake in 350F oven 1 hour, until instant-read thermometer inserted into center registers 160F.

Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef

Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Cut into slices. Serve with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables.
Old 6th March 2018, 12:24 PM   #3
Established Member

Hey No_Go,

Already starting to change for him are we? I thought you wanted to take things slow Just make him a sandwich. I don't know a guy who doesn't like one!
Old 6th March 2018, 12:29 PM   #4
Established Member

@FilterCoffee- ouch am I that transparent ? I'll take some time to master so it still accounts as slow, right ?

@alphamale - yes! That is in the realm of what I want to do! Just need to train myself not to overroast it!
Old 6th March 2018, 12:40 PM   #5
Established Member

My go to for this kind of thing is lasagna and tiramisu cake. Google "extra easy lasagna recipe". Tiramisu is also deceivingly easy to make.

Always seemed well received
Old 6th March 2018, 12:56 PM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
My go to for this kind of thing is lasagna and tiramisu cake. Google "extra easy lasagna recipe". Tiramisu is also deceivingly easy to make.

Always seemed well received
Ooh love tiramisu!! My restraints are so bad when it comes to it
Old 6th March 2018, 1:48 PM   #7
Established Member

My go to very easy dinner is to cook boneless skinnless chicken thighs in a deep pan with just Italian salad dressing on it. My kids reall like this, and they claim I make the best noodles in the world, so we usually have it with just plain old buttered/salted egg noodles, and a veggie. Or maybe a baked potato. (Last night I made this and we had mashed potatoes)

Another super easy one is "fiesta soup." Equal parts of canned black beans (rinsed/drained), diced tomatoes, and corn. Throw it all in a pot, using the juice from the tomatoes and corn as the "broth." You can cook this for as short or long as you want and can add ground turkey or beef too. I top with shredded cheddar and sour cream.
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 1:50 PM   #8
Established Member

Oh sorry, I only skimmed the original post and didn't realize what exactly you were asking! I thought you were asking for quick and easy meals for some reason.

Going to get more coffee....
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 1:53 PM   #9
Established Member

Do you think he'd like gumbo? I have an authentic, killer recipe, but it takes a while to put together. Also, the proportions are big enough to feed an infantry platoon, so you'd have to account for that.
GorillaTheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 3:29 PM   #10
Established Member

Oh I LOVE cooking, and could give you an endless list of suggestions.

BUT, your biggest hurdle is going to be lack of technique. Cooking is an art, you have to know not to stir that gumbo too much or the rice will get starchy, not to over handle ground beef, which causes it to become tough and less flavorful, to not rinse the lasagna noodles, as you loose the starch that helps the sauce stick.

My first recommendation - Buy Ye a copy of the Joy of Cooking.

Its an oldie, but a goodie - and the best part is that its not just a book of recipes, it teaches TECHNIQUE. Once you understand HOW to cook, you really do not need recipes at all, you can make your own creations. So, any way, I highly recommend reading, and watching videos on technique.

That said, you want to feed a man? What about a proper steak?

First, choose the cut. I like a rib eye or Porterhouse / T-Bone. These cuts are have more marbling (fat) hence more flavor and tenderness. Bones (like a T-Bone) also impart more flavor (keep that in mind when choosing other cuts, like chicken etc). T-Bones (or their oversized cousins porterhouse) steak have a portion of rib meat like the ribeye, and a portion of New York Steak (which is leaner, and a bit more tough).

Okay, now you have picked your cut - be sure to choose a steak that is not cut too thin, you want it to be about inch thick.

Now... you have your meat! Time to prep. To cook a great steak, it is important to bring it to room temperature first. This will allow it to cook more evenly. Get your steaks, rinse them, pat dry with paper towels, cover with clean paper towels and let sit out while you prep the rest of your meal.*Pre-heat over to super blazing* (like 450 - 500).

*tip* if you want to make your steaks more flavorful and tender, cover well with salt. This will cause the excess water in the meat to be pulled out, and draws in some of the salt. You don't want excess moisture on the meat, as it will cause it to steam, steaming = tough. You don't want that. So - optional tip. Right before cooking, rinse the steaks again to remove the excess salt, and pat dry

Okay, now you have your room temp, salted, rinsed and patted dry steaks ready to cook. Rub them with a little olive oil on each side. Add some fresh cracked pepper. Maybe rub them with finely minced garlic if you like.

Now... get a pan big enough so that both steaks can fit without any crowding (or use two separate pans - more ideal) - and get it HOT on the stove top (high heat). You are going to use this to SEAR your steaks. This locks in juiciness.

So, pans nice and blazing hot - add steak. The goal is to sear one side to a nice brown - DO NOT flip over or mess with too much. Minimal turning over is important. Just take a little peak under a corner when needed. Once one side is nice and seared, flip. Get the other side off to a good sear - and then toss the pan (the oven safe pan! I like cast iron) into your hot oven. This is where the steaks will finish cooking. They will cook quick, I can tell done-ness by the firmness of the meat (poking with finger). You may want to use a meat thermometer (130 for medium). Once "done" remove from oven, place on cutting board, and put a tent of foil over it to rest for 5 mins before serving (resting meat is important!).

Now... side dishes! Its a STEAK. It can go with so many things.

A sheet pan of roasted vegis might be good. Quarter up some peeled beets, half some Brussels spouts, maybe some carrots, even cauliflower, whatever sounds good. Toss in olive oil, salt, pepper, and herbs if you like. Place on sheet pan, and roast in a 400+ degree oven. You can do asparagus the same way (drizzled with balsamic is also good).

Or easy ol' baked potato, or baked sweet potato. Around here I like a steamed artichoke as a side dish to steak.... pair with a green salad, you have a good dinner!
Old 6th March 2018, 4:11 PM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Go View Post
@FilterCoffee- ouch am I that transparent ? I'll take some time to master so it still accounts as slow, right ?

@alphamale - yes! That is in the realm of what I want to do! Just need to train myself not to overroast it!
No apologies No_Go. Having a repertoire of easy, filling meals is a life skill which you will never regret learning.
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 4:57 PM   #12
Established Member

Buy a vertical roaster https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-5667-...rtical+roaster & a whole chicken. Remove the innards from the chicken, put salt & pepper inside & outside of the chicken. Impale the bird on the roaster & stand up in your oven on a cookie sheet. You may have to remove a rack to give it enough room. Cook for about 2 hours at 350F until the plastic timer pops out; you may have to cover the top with tin foil to prevent burning. CAREFULLY remove the pan from the oven because it will be filled with boiling hot grease. Let the chicken rest. Remove from stand & carve. If you don't know how to carve watch a YouTube video. It's how I learned.

Make some potatoes & a vegetable.

Viola -- a great filling meal.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 4:57 PM   #13
Established Member

This one is super easy, no sauteing, and it looks beautiful and is really juicy and delicious.

Oven 450F

6 small chicken breasts (I ask meat counter to find 6 small ones)
2 large lemons
spices: paprika, thyme and/or rosemary (dried is fine)
Olive oil
salt and pepper
vegetables of choice(see below)

Use baking sheet that has sides on it, cover with foil for no cleaning.

Preheat oven to 450.
salt, pepper and put thyme and/or rosemary on breasts. Then sprinkle paprika on breast.

Slice lemons into 6 slices each.

Put a slice of lemon down on the pan for each breast on one half of the pan. Place the breast on top the lemon. Place the other lemon slices on top the breasts.

On other end of pan, arrange vegetables. Some notes: If you use aspargus, let the chicken cook 15 minutes before adding it to the pan. I have used green beans (full time), sliced carrots (full time) and brocolli and/or cauliflower (full time). You could use squash (add 15 minutes later).

Sprinkle the vegs with salt and pepper and just lightly with the thyme and/or rosemary (not paprika).

Pour olive oil over all to moisten

Put in preheated oven for 45 minutes, drain the vegetables (there will be lots of juice).

Hardly any pan washing, so easy and quick to put together. It's really delicious and I'm not usually a chicken person that much.
Old 6th March 2018, 5:12 PM   #14
Established Member

When it comes to easy, I'm a big fan of 'set and forget'.

Lamb and Chick Pea Casserole

1kg diced lamb. (Leg will do, but shoulder is better. French trimmed lamb shanks also work)
1 tsp ground sweet paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
50g oil
2 large onions, sliced
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 cans tomatoes
2 tsp sugar
1 can chick peas, drained
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tblsp chopped flat leaf parsley

Combine lamb, paprika and cumin in a bowl. Refrigerate several hours or overnight (you can skip this step if you don't have time)

Heat oil in pan, add lamb mixture and onions, cook, strirring until onions are soft. Stir in turmeric.

Add undrained crushed tomatoes and sugar. Simmer uncovered about 40 mins or until lamb is just tender. (cook longer and slower for shoulder or shank)

Add chick peas and herbs, simmer uncovered for about 10 mins until lamb is tender and sauce has thickened slightly.

Serves 4-6

Serve with couscous and greek yoghurt.

Freezes well.
Old 6th March 2018, 5:14 PM   #15
Established Member

No_Go, do you have an oven? The recipe I gave will cook well if you start it on the hob and do the slow cooking in an oven. I have many more oven recipes too. If you can find an affordable casserole dish like Le Creuset make, it will transform your cooking.

Last edited by basil67; 6th March 2018 at 5:18 PM..