LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

Personal experience with anxiety meds

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th January 2018, 11:26 PM   #16
Established Member

OP, what you describe is situational anxiety, which is best addressed by therapy. A straight anti anxiety med, such as a benzo, will only leave you worse off when the effect wears off. It's how a lot of people get addicted.

If indeed you suffer from generalized anxiety, best diagnosed by a professional, one of the SSRIs would be of help. As Els stated, the good old tricyclics are used for this as well, but the newer drugs tend to have fewer side effects. Someone mentioned Effexor - should anyone try to prescribe that to you, run. There are plenty of alternatives.

If you're waking up unhappy, might want to see that same someone about depression. Antidepressants have the benefit of treating both depression and anxiety.

Good luck.

Last edited by MidwestUSA; 7th January 2018 at 11:28 PM..
MidwestUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2018, 11:31 PM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestUSA View Post
OP, what you describe is situational anxiety, which is best addressed by therapy. A straight anti anxiety med, such as a benzo, will only leave you worse off when the effect wears off. It's how a lot of people get addicted.

If indeed you suffer from generalized anxiety, best diagnosed by a professional, one of the SSRIs would be of help. As Els stated, the good old tricyclics are used for this as well, but the newer drugs tend to have fewer side effects. Someone mentioned Effexor - should anyone try to prescribe that to you, run. Ther are plenty of alternatives

If you're waking up unhappy, might want to see that same someone about depression. Antidepressants have the benefit of treating both depression and anxiety.

Good luck.
Spot on. At various times in my life I've suffered from situational depression and clinical depression (which was caused by PMDD but that's another topic). Every time I've suffered from situational depression I've refused to be medicated for it because it needs talk therapy, not pills. I know it probably doesn't seem like it could help, but it really does. We are all susceptible to faulty ways of seeing the world and our lives from time to time, and having someone on the outside looking in tell us how it really is, and gives us tools to start to think that way too, is very effective. It is possible for the brain to develop new (healthier) pathways.
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2018, 11:41 PM   #18
Established Member

I take buspar from time to time, not every day, and it really helps to take the edge off.
amaysngrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018, 12:15 AM   #19
Established Member

I was a benzo addict, took me almost a year to quit... didn’t help my ex always had kpins and zanny bars on hand in addition to the Valium I was already prescribed. I strongly suggest something like Cbt or dBT to get to the root of your anxiety and healthier stuff in the meantime to treat it, valerian root, meditation etc. or only use them very very rarely...and preferably not a benzo.. they are a very slippery slope and it is like putting a bandaid over a gaping wound, except in this analogy the wound never heals, just keeps growing and you keep having to use more bandaids and if you try to take the baindaid off it feels like your neurotransmitters have been stripped raw because they have. Just don’t

Last edited by Cookiesandough; 8th January 2018 at 12:19 AM..
Cookiesandough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018, 12:26 AM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiesandough View Post
I was a benzo addict, took me almost a year to quit... didnít help my ex always had kpins and zanny bars on hand in addition to the Valium I was already prescribed. I strongly suggest something like Cbt or dBT to get to the root of your anxiety and healthier stuff in the meantime to treat it, valerian root, meditation etc. or only use them very very rarely...and preferably not a benzo.. they are a very slippery slope and it is like putting a bandaid over a gaping wound, except in this analogy the wound never heals, just keeps growing and you keep having to use more bandaids and if you try to take the baindaid off it feels like your neurotransmitters have been stripped raw because they have. Just donít
Wow, Cookie, so glad you're off that. <3
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018, 12:52 AM   #21
Established Member

Yeah, buspirone worked pretty well and was relatively insensitive to dosage errors. I used that solely and in concert as a cocktail with quetiapine, using the extended release quetiapine with the buspirone as a kicker. The main benefit was dialing back persistent anxious behaviors where psychotic episodes occurred. The behaviors still occurred but were more brief in duration and the patient was more easily calmed and soothed. I also noted few to no adverse results when tapering off to start a different regime or when baselining. Some agitation but nothing remarkable. IIRC the target dosage was 50mg BID in a 140lb patient.

In the OP's case, presenting as an otherwise healthy, well-adjusted individual with some spot anxiety which appears to be focused primarily on dating, I'd work first on getting some healthy sleep, perhaps a homeopathic sleep aid to quell those thoughts upon resting (I often used herbal tea and/or melatonin when caregiving to good effect) and seek some tools from a psych for self-calming, or perhaps meditation, only moving to drugs if other methods fail.
carhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018, 1:16 AM   #22
Established Member

You're probably deficient in magnesium, for one thing. Stress depletes our bodies of nutrients which leads to anxiety, depression and disease. I try to steer clear of anti depressants as much as I can although lately I've had to resort to remeron and clonazepam for panic attacks which are now thankfully beginning to subside.
Fair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018, 2:24 PM   #23
Established Member

Thank you everyone for the feedback. This, along with some other personal experiences, make me not want to try meds now. Someone mentioned I live a fairly normal anxiety free life, except when it comes to my family and more recently dating. I'm just going to push through with the self help for the time being, and then look into talking to someone about why I feel so inadequate when I start to like someone. Or why I have this constant fear they are going to dump me at any moment. I will say yesterday was very hard. It was a sunday, and I didn't have any plans, so I just sat at home imaging all these worst case scenarios. Today I feel a bit better. Still on edge, but work is keeping my mind busy. And then Ill workout after work so Ill feel better after that as well.
Mx12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018, 3:34 PM   #24
Established Member

I've taken them momentarily to get through a family crisis so I didn't blow up or something. My best experience is secondhand. My sister is a recluse and a nasty tempered one at that. She was in the hospital for 6 months almost dying from pancreatitis and she was very nasty tempered with all the staff and they finally put her on anxiety meds which she was still on when she came out until she let the prescription lapse. When she came out, despite her challenging physical problems, she was more outgoing and social and NICE than ever before. Then the last couple of years she went back to her old mean reclusive self. Wish she'd get back on meds.

Always remember that different meds take different amounts of time to be effective. Different meds affect different patients different ways. So there is usually a few months of adjusting types of meds and doses or trying combinations to find the right one for you. A med might make you ill or have a side effect for a couple weeks and then be fine. And always remember: NEVER stop a med or change the dosage or how often you take it without first calling your doctor. It can be dangerous, and doctors know best. 80 percent of patients don't take their meds as prescribed and then complain that they're ineffective. They simply don't understand how they work. They feel better, stop taking them, then they slide back downhill. Do as the Dr. says and always report any side symptoms to him/her immediately.

Good luck.

Last edited by preraph; 8th January 2018 at 3:38 PM..
preraph is offline   Reply With Quote