LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

It's REALLY hard to find a psychiatrist.

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st December 2017, 10:36 PM   #1
Established Member

It's REALLY hard to find a psychiatrist.

Has anyone else had this issue? I called probably 15 different offices of psychiatry yesterday and they were either listed incorrectly on my insurance's site(like ONLY a marriage and family therapist), or their wait was over 4 months long!!

I ended up making an appt with a psychologist instead, for the soonest i could. The appt is Jan 5 which still isn't very soon, but I'm really disappointed. I need the therapy AND probably some type of antidepressant/anti anxiety for a while which is why I wanted a psychiatrist. I suppose I'll start the therapy and maybe my PCP will be able to help me out on prescriptions(as others have in the past). I just really wanted to do this RIGHT.

Ive been to a psychologist in the past and sadly, she moved away a year or so ago, so now I've got to start this whole process over. It feels like interviewing for a relationship.

Im curious, does anyone know how it works in the US? CA specifically if that helps.. Question being, if i was referred by a PCP or therapist, is there a chance I may be able to bypass a lot of that wait list? (rather than just calling them myself)
Jdoublenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2017, 2:16 PM   #2
Established Member

I'm sorry. I only just saw this.

I only saw a psychiatrist once. Minimal wait self referred off of insurance website.

My psychologist & my PCP have suggested others but I have not called.

Now that you are really close, I hope that you find the care you need on January 5
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2017, 3:19 PM   #3
Established Member

I must have called about 20 in my area and all were booked solid. The woman I finally went with was because she had an opening.

She's good, but we are too similar in our views on stuff so I don't often get push back. We have the same views on people (both not great) and are both stubborn. She's a really nice lady though and it helps to vent I guess...
SevenCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2017, 7:15 PM   #4
Established Member

Yes, it can be very hard!!!I would speak to your GP and get a referral, but be ready for a very long waiting list. It's ridic and needs to be fixed
Cookiesandough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2017, 7:27 PM   #5
Established Member

How about a GP and psychologist working in concert? The psych can assess and advise and the GP handle the medical aspects. GP's often prescribe brain meds (BTDT as a care manager) even without psych input. Sometimes getting creative gets the job done. Unless there's an emergency, a week or two won't change things in a life-threatening way. If suicidal, call 911 and they'll get things fast tracked.

Our brain team had two psychiatrists and one neuropsychometrist on staff and they were easily accessible and initial care lead time was negligible. The caveat was this was a research hospital for a specific brain condition, not general psychiatric care.

IME, in general, in the last couple years anyway, when I've sought medical input of any sort as a new patient, fuggetaboutit. I'd sooner do surgery on myself

Good luck!
carhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 12:38 PM   #6
Established Member

The practice I go to has a team of providers all from different specialities. It took me a month to get an appointment with a counselor, and then another 2 months to see a medical provider, who could provide me psych meds. Thankfully I donít need the medication, so I no longer see him.

From my experience, therapists generally want to wait 3 months before prescribing. There are other therapies that can be just as beneficial, with no risk of adverse side effects.

I hope your able to find help soon.
Old 29th December 2017, 1:03 PM   #7
Established Member

try to find a young shrink right out of school who is looking for patients. he'll also be well read on all the latest medications and therapies (since he just graduated)
Old 5th January 2018, 3:05 AM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoublenn View Post
Has anyone else had this issue? I called probably 15 different offices of psychiatry yesterday and they were either listed incorrectly on my insurance's site(like ONLY a marriage and family therapist), or their wait was over 4 months long!!

I ended up making an appt with a psychologist instead, for the soonest i could. The appt is Jan 5 which still isn't very soon, but I'm really disappointed. I need the therapy AND probably some type of antidepressant/anti anxiety for a while which is why I wanted a psychiatrist. I suppose I'll start the therapy and maybe my PCP will be able to help me out on prescriptions(as others have in the past). I just really wanted to do this RIGHT.

Ive been to a psychologist in the past and sadly, she moved away a year or so ago, so now I've got to start this whole process over. It feels like interviewing for a relationship.

Im curious, does anyone know how it works in the US? CA specifically if that helps.. Question being, if i was referred by a PCP or therapist, is there a chance I may be able to bypass a lot of that wait list? (rather than just calling them myself)
Ah, I have some knowledge on how this process works.

Yes, psychiatrists are in high demand and there are not enough of them. Sometimes even getting a psychologist is hard.

If it's general mental health medication (depression, anxiety, sleep issues) then the best approach these days is to see a psychologist first to see if you can regulate the symptoms without medication. Research shows that therapy is AT LEAST as effective as medication if your symptoms are moderate to mild.

If you're in severe decompensation, having psychotic breaks, unable to work or are at risk for suicide, etc... basically not being able to function in society, then you need meds sooner than later and either from a PCP or psychiatrist. In such bases, getting a PCP to prescribe for you while you're on a waiting list with a psychiatrist is a good idea. And if it's life-or-death level, you need to visit an emergency room and consider going inpatient. At that point, you'll get prescriptions pretty quick.
TunaInTheBrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 8:50 PM   #9
Established Member

I finally went to that appt with the psychologist and had a good talk yesterday. My next appt is (blah) in 3 weeks bc I can’t get in any sooner but I think it’ll be good. The first talk was helpful so I’m hoping to make some progress with him in the future. Weird thing is he’s even in the same office as my old therapist. Took over the room after Janet left that practice I guess lol.

Anyways, I’ve been more mentally stable lately and I think I’ll be good with just therapy. I don’t believe that I need medicines to get ahold of myself like I did last month.
Old 6th January 2018, 11:07 PM   #10
Established Member

Glad to read you were able to get in and things are going OK. FWIW, both our psychologist and the brain team were medication minimalists, something I liked. Medications definitely have their place but the clinicians I interacted with were very careful with them.
carhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2018, 11:51 AM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carhill View Post
Glad to read you were able to get in and things are going OK. FWIW, both our psychologist and the brain team were medication minimalists, something I liked. Medications definitely have their place but the clinicians I interacted with were very careful with them.
Iíve only ever had one therapist and she was a female. I was a bit skeptical about a male bc Iím a female, but it might be a good fit. Or at least a different POV for a while. I do miss Janet though.
Old 9th January 2018, 9:19 PM   #12
Established Member

It is hard to find a good one where there is health care and referrals. I do not find anyone of my psychiatrists has been able to help me. You really have to find one and work just as hard as they do, if not harder.
igotoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 9:51 PM   #13
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoublenn View Post
I finally went to that appt with the psychologist and had a good talk yesterday. My next appt is (blah) in 3 weeks bc I canít get in any sooner but I think itíll be good. The first talk was helpful so Iím hoping to make some progress with him in the future. Weird thing is heís even in the same office as my old therapist. Took over the room after Janet left that practice I guess lol.

Anyways, Iíve been more mentally stable lately and I think Iíll be good with just therapy. I donít believe that I need medicines to get ahold of myself like I did last month.
i'm glad things went well Jdoublenn
alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 10:01 PM   #14
Established Member

I thought you said psychiatrist that was my bad. I'm glad you found one, I see a psychologist in March due to waiting list.
igotoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 10:54 PM   #15
Established Member

It's a lot easier to just get what you need via blackmarket.

If you really need to see one, look for those who don't take insurance and just pay out of pocket.
jay1983 is offline   Reply With Quote