I'm 19 years old and the thought of turning 20 kind of scares me.

I'm currently 19 years old and honestly, the thought of being 20 is kind of making me feel anxious. I mean then, I won't be a teenager anymore and as a result, I feel like my youth is kind of over and I won't be able to have certain privileges of being associated with youth. I can't stop worrying about turning 20 and I fear as it gets closer, I will start counting the days and won't be able to enjoy being a teen. How can I deal with this?

I do this every time I have a birthday that ends in a zero.

Stop thinking your life is over. You are jus coming into your own. You will have more freedom, more independence & more fun.

Try to focus on the new things you will get to experience.

GunslingerRoland

Different ages seem to affect different people differently. In most ways 20 is a pretty inconsequential age though. 18, 21 and sometimes 19 are usually the big milestones, where you can buy alcohol, vote, become a legal adult, etc.

The difference between 19 and 20 should be relatively invisible. Most people consider "teenagers" to be only the minors anyway.

You still have many years where society will treat you as a young adult.

Just enjoy your youth while you have it, rather than worrying about when it will end.

• Like 1

Your youth is definitely not over at age 20. As you get older, you’ll realize that your definition of “old” changes. At age 20 you’re still very much in your youth. Sure, you may be losing some privileges but depending on your country you’ll be gaining many fun new privileges in your 20s. Your 20s are a great time to meet new people and experiment. I’m from the US so I didn’t see a big difference between 19 and 20 besides technically not being a teen anymore. My advice would be to go out with your friends and celebrate your birthday. (Happy early birthday by the way)

I'm currently 19 years old and honestly, the thought of being 20 is kind of making me feel anxious. I mean then, I won't be a teenager anymore and as a result, I feel like my youth is kind of over and I won't be able to have certain privileges of being associated with youth. I can't stop worrying about turning 20 and I fear as it gets closer, I will start counting the days and won't be able to enjoy being a teen. How can I deal with this?

In terms of "youth" the best is yet to come. I'm 26 and probably have only just started to fully enjoy my "youth" (in a relative sense) in the past couple of years.

Think about the things you like about being a teenager. Is there anything that becomes tangibly different once you pass 20? As you become more independent you are able to do the fun youth things but without your parents breathing down your neck as much. Enjoy it!

Scarlett.O'hara

Consider planning something special for your birthday, that way the countdown becomes something positive for you to look forward to instead.

If that doesn't work and you start to feel too overwhelmed or anxious about how you are feeling then it might be good idea to speak to a counselor to help you work through those emotions.

In terms of "youth" the best is yet to come. I'm 26 and probably have only just started to fully enjoy my "youth" (in a relative sense) in the past couple of years.

[...]

Agreed, as far as youthful exuberance is concerned my early 20s were probably the best. The OP probably has much to look forward to.

• Like 1
  • Author

There is a certain hobby I can do now as a teen(19) but I am not sure if I can do it when I'm 20. I've been under stress from school for a while and have not done my hobby for about a month and I suppose I could wait at 20 to resume it but again I am unsure if I can. Due to this, should I just do it now at 19 then?

mortensorchid

I remember feeling that when I was about to turn 20. I'm about to be 43 now. And life is good. You're not old, you're not young, you're right. You're going to have a wonderful time, teens are roller coaster times but so are the twenties and thirties. You're going to learn a lot, and you're going to be happy and sad and crazy. And you'll come out the other end happy. I promise you it's not over, it's just changing.

• Like 1

Learn to appreciate every age & stage of life. I wasn't able to fully grasp that concept until my daughter was about 10, when I saw my friends comparing which stage they liked best when raising kids (newborn, baby, toddler, etc). I couldn't pick, because each stage had good things. As I grow older I can see that in myself now too.

Don't be sad about leaving the teen years, because you'll be in for a wild ride in the 20's!

• Author
What's the hobby & why can't you do it as a 20 year old?

Well before I say what it is(again unsure if I can do it at 20), should I just do it now at 19 so I won't have any regrets perhaps?

GunslingerRoland
Well before I say what it is(again unsure if I can do it at 20), should I just do it now at 19 so I won't have any regrets perhaps?

If you enjoy your hobby why don't you do it at 19 and keep doing it at 20?

I'm confused about what this hobby you can't do after 19 is though...

• Author
If you enjoy your hobby why don't you do it at 19 and keep doing it at 20?

I'm confused about what this hobby you can't do after 19 is though...

Well, I'm a writer and I really focus on young adult fiction(defined as in teen range actually) and I like to feel a connection or relate to situations in order to add more depth. At 19, I can do this, but unsure at 20? So due to this uncertainty(i have not been able to do it due to some stress), should I just do it regardless at 19 to not have regrets?

GunslingerRoland
Well, I'm a writer and I really focus on young adult fiction(defined as in teen range actually) and I like to feel a connection or relate to situations in order to add more depth. At 19, I can do this, but unsure at 20? So due to this uncertainty(i have not been able to do it due to some stress), should I just do it regardless at 19 to not have regrets?

Do you remember the magic that happened to you the day you turned 10?

How about the day you turned 18?

No... that is because you are going to be the exact same the day after your 20th birthday that you are the last day of being 19. Sure your perspective will change over time but it has very little to do with an arbitrary even number of your laps around the sun.

Also if you can only write about things that you can directly relate to, your life must be exciting or your stories must be boring. I'm guessing you have a lot more imagination to add depth to stories that don't relate directly to you, than you give yourself credit for.

25, 30, 35, and 40 will scare you too. Hopefully you'll gain wisdom with age that will hope you deal with turning 50. Otherwise it's gonna be sports cars and young women for you ( till the money is gone). And no, the wife won't take you back after the 23 year old dumps you.

Of I'm getting ahead of things, you're only 19.

• Like 1

As my mother would tell me when I was your age, "the world is your oyster".

You enjoy writing , consider the great, J.R.R. Tolkien, and those that were once his skeptics.

As my mother would tell me when I was your age, "the world is your oyster".

I'm allergic to shellfish :(

• Like 1
  • Author
Do you remember the magic that happened to you the day you turned 10?

How about the day you turned 18?

No... that is because you are going to be the exact same the day after your 20th birthday that you are the last day of being 19. Sure your perspective will change over time but it has very little to do with an arbitrary even number of your laps around the sun.

Also if you can only write about things that you can directly relate to, your life must be exciting or your stories must be boring. I'm guessing you have a lot more imagination to add depth to stories that don't relate directly to you, than you give yourself credit for.

Still, due to my uncertainty, should I just write it now not to have any regrets?