Will I retreat to a stone house

A friendly acquaintance, "Bob", only worked, ate, and slept for many years. He wasn't unhappy but he was missing out on the pleasures of life. Then, he finally met a compatible woman. They developed a sedate but "normal" social life. (Dinners out, day trips, movies, vacations). During their 7 year relationship, Bob's parents passed away. On year 7 she passed away.

After 2 years of grieving and another year of indecision, he sold his things and purchased a tiny stone home in a remote area.

He lived an isolated life when he was younger. He then experienced a more social life for 7 years. Then he chose isolation again.

Never have I been isolated to his degree, but I certainly am not very outgoing. If a key few people are removed from my life, what will I do?

Will I end up isolated? I've never regretted the quiet times in my life, so I don't even know if it's such a bad thing.

• Like 3

Eh I think almost everyone just as human beings needs some sort of social interaction but I agree in that people don't seem to really know how to enjoy their own company anymore. I blame social media.

• Like 2
  • Author
Eh I think almost everyone just as human beings needs some sort of social interaction but I agree in that people don't seem to really know how to enjoy their own company anymore. I blame social media.

Yup, Social Media creates a mob mentality. People feel they must stay connected and tow the party line so the mob doesn't turn on them. I had high hopes that Social media would lead to free speech instead of suppressing it.

As long as you don't purchase a Bothy on an Hebridean Island, I think you'll be fine. The fact that you are self aware of your state of life is proof of hope... :)

Would you mind me asking just roughly , your age.

Age of people in posts and whatever the scenario is a pretty big thing to get the proper picture.

so if your 25 and isolated right now , lots of things and life stages will change, and then change again, and probably change many times over so don't worry right now just take out the time you need.

But if your 60 , it could be all solo from here if you were to let it go so maybe take some time but then get back into some life or you could drift into nothingness from here.

• Like 1
  • Author
Would you mind me asking just roughly , your age.

Age of people in posts and whatever the scenario is a pretty big thing to get the proper picture.

so if your 25 and isolated right now , lots of things and life stages will change, and then change again, and probably change many times over so don't worry right now just take out the time you need.

But if your 60 , it could be all solo from here if you were to let it go so maybe take some time but then get back into some life or you could drift into nothingness from here.

50's. I certainly do have my small circle of friends. It's been that way most of my life. Most of the circle is a few years older than I am. A couple that are my age don't seem very healthy. Anything could happen, but It's easy to see myself end up as the last man standing, standing alone.