Quitting Sugar: the Support thread

Hi,

I am quitting sugar, am on day 3 and thought i'd start a thread for anyone who is interested in joining me, as a support thread.

The reason i am quitting, or attempting to at the moment:

I've had a life long addiction to sugar, and have used it as an emotional crutch for years to alleviate feelings of despondancy, and to give myself energy and motivation when i have felt down (which is most of my like tbh). It even got to the stage where the only thing i would look forward to in the mornings, or in getting home at night were the treats i had waiting for me in the fridge or freezer.

I have also put on s bit of weight and feel like a bit of a pug, to be honest.

Due to my unhealthy psychological, emotional and now 'physical' relationship with sugar, i have decided i need to kick the habit, at least for a while.

I am aiming for five days and will then re-assess then.

I am on day 3 now.

Just some thoughts:

Day 1: not too many cravings.. Pretty thumpy and deep headache. Had to fight with myself at the supermarket freezer and tell myself i was not buying that mint choc chip ice cream. No jokes, i actually stood there for five minutes and debated the pros and cons and talked myself out of it. That was probably a turning point for me: not giving in to the voice that says "go on, one more won't kill you". Probably had one or two cravings that day, which i managed to deflect. Couldn't really sleep that night, restless and weird dreams.

Day 2 was not so pleasant! Headache continued. Also had a UTI caused by too much sugar just before i quit. Visited GP, got on antibiotics and you know, had the dull aches, pain, headache and slight sweats all day. Slept better. Vivid dreams, and more pleasant.

Also felt a bit tired.

So, now on Day 3. The plan for the day is to have my usual muesili breakfast, a green smoothie and take it from there. A walk will be mandatory, and lunch will be tuna and salad.

Anyone else giving up sugar, willing to share your story?

:)

Edited by Soak
  • Like 4
Cookiesandough

Quitting white sugar? I don't really eat candy that much or anything with it in it. And I don't crave it much. But I've been that way since a child. But 0?? I don't know if I could do that. Will you use any sugar substitutes? I think cutting out sugar is a wonderful idea anyway

• Like 1
  • Author

No, i won't use sugar substitutes Cookies. The only way is cold turkey, basically quitting anything with obvious sugar in it, like cakes, biscuits etc. cheated yesterday, had 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in my decaffinated coffee, lol. Sometimes i think that coffee is an excuse for me to have a tiny but of sugar, but i hardly ever drink it. On the whole, i'm quitting the whole lot.

It's funny how your body instinctively knows what's in food though. Eg, whenever i do this, i start craving mcdonalds and savoury food that is high in carbs or contains sugar. For example, Indian food has a bit of sugar in it, and i was thinking about it last night. The body (and brain) is a very intelligent thing and your brain will try to fool you.

I'm also quitting alcohol. I was on three glasses per day roughly, so this whole thing is about giving my body and mind a rest, and finding out what i am really like without all that crap in my body.

Have minor cravings today and a little bit if that 'i don't care' mentality, but you have to stay focused on the end result if you have goals, and mine is to have a hot body for summer :p

Edited by Soak
  • Like 2

I don't eat processed sugar because it's not vegan so I hardly eat any sugar at all anymore. I don't miss it very much.

I have heard that sugar substitutes can be even sweeter than the real thing and can cause even worse cravings as a result of their sweetness so good for you for quitting those too!

• Like 2

Awesome OP!

I gave up concentrated sugar (that's what I call all products that are nothing but sugar, like cakes, cookies, etc.) about 30 years ago due to have blood sugar issues. From years of massive sugar intake, my system became very sensitive to it.. at that point when I ate it, I'd get super high, and then crash... oh man the crash was REALLY bad.

Over the past 30 or so years, I cannot tell you how many pieces of cake I've turned down.

Once one gives up concentrated sugar, your mind begins to change and salad bars will cause you to salivate. Salad bars are the main deal IMO:D

• Like 2
LivingWaterPlease

Good for you, OP! I once gave up sugar and white flour both for a year and a half but got back on it and need to get off of it again!

• Like 2

You can do it. I stopped eating added sugar months ago to combat inflammation. The results have been amazing. Eye-opening. Surprising.

I feel so much better and my weight is much easier to maintain since then. I had lived all of my life without knowing the detrimental effect of sugar added to our food has on our our body.

It’s a good idea to avoid sugar substitutes. It’s also important to pay attention to the different forms of sugar added to our foods and avoid those also.

The adjustment for me was necessary because I had a medical issue that required me to fight inflammation. It improved tremendously with a simple change in my diet. I don’t see myself going back. I can’t without making myself sick.

You can do it and it’s so worthwhile.

Hi Soak,

First of all ... well done you - I know how hard it is to do what you have started.

On 1st October (when I get back from my hols) I will be starting the

"8 week blood sugar diet".

I have done this diet before and lost 2 stone in 8 weeks! But I have put it all on again since then as I went back to my old ways (yep, I am a sugar addict!).

I must admit this diet is really hard to keep to .... a massive drop in daily food quantity combined with the fact it takes ages to prep a lot of the meals! Many people I have spoken to about it have said there is no way they could do this diet - no-one that I know has told me they can and are going to give it a go!!

However, I stuck to it the first time and I CAN do it again .... I will just have to ramp up the willpower!!

Like yourself Soak, I am feeling a bit like a pug at the moment too .... well, tbh I feel like a hot air balloon!!

I am actually looking forward to getting back on track with this diet as it is the only diet that really suited me - I looked so different and everyone commented on how good I looked ... but it is soooooooo hard lol!!

Anyway ... good luck to you ... I will continue to read your thread for updates!

Take care xx

Edited by 1966Seahorse
spelling mistake
  • Like 1
  • Author
You can do it. I stopped eating added sugar months ago to combat inflammation. The results have been amazing. Eye-opening. Surprising.

Good for you MidKnightDreams, for looking after your health and doing what is right for you. :D

On 1st October (when I get back from my hols) I will be starting the

"8 week blood sugar diet".

I have done this diet before and lost 2 stone in 8 weeks! But I have put it all on again since then as I went back to my old ways (yep, I am a sugar addict!).

I must admit this diet is really hard to keep to .... a massive drop in daily food quantity combined with the fact it takes ages to prep a lot of the meals! Many people I have spoken to about it have said there is no way they could do this diet - no-one that I know has told me they can and are going to give it a go!!

However, I stuck to it the first time and I CAN do it again .... I will just have to ramp up the willpower!!

Like yourself Soak, I am feeling a bit like a pug at the moment too .... well, tbh I feel like a hot air balloon!!

I am actually looking forward to getting back on track with this diet as it is the only diet that really suited me - I looked so different and everyone commented on how good I looked ... but it is soooooooo hard lol!!

Anyway ... good luck to you ... I will continue to read your thread for updates!

Take care xx

Ohh, Seahorse, that sounds inspiring! The way that I am doing it is kind of like cheating. I am still on the white flour and carbs, but only in dry crackers and carb vegetables, such as white potato, parsnip and pumpkin (but with a piece of protein for dinner, eg, with chicken). I kind of have to do it that way, or else I could give in.

How am I feeling? Well, still a bit head-achey, a bit teary (moody, emotional), a bit doubtful..

BUT, on the other hand, I am sleeping better, and am feeling a bit clearer. I even have a sense of humour!

That eight week blood sugar diet sounds amazing. I wonder if I should do that. After doing this, I would like to build myself up to doing a hardcore detox diet, maybe a candida detox.

Seahorse, I reckon you can do it. Report back here and tell us how you're going. I'd be interested to know :)

Edited by Soak
  • Like 1
  • Author

After reading a similiar thread here, i've decided to cut out the starchy vegetables and up the intake of natural oils, eg, avacados and olive oil. Bring on the headaches!

• Like 1
  • Author

Arggh, the cravings are crazy today! I'm close to falling off the wagon, alcohol wise. Feel like a drink tonight. Always the way, things start to get better and I get a false sense of security.

Am going to the gym. Hopefully that will snap it out of me. Will check in later :).

Hi Soak,

I was just thinking that it is 3 days before I start my "blood sugar diet" and it made me think about you ... how are you getting on? ... I hope you are hanging on in there!!!

• Like 1
  • Author
Hi Soak,

I was just thinking that it is 3 days before I start my "blood sugar diet" and it made me think about you ... how are you getting on? ... I hope you are hanging on in there!!!

I'm hanging in there Seahorse! Yesterday (day 6) was the hardest i think. False sense of security due to the time accumulated, had sugar cravings in the afternoon, and REALLY felt like buying a bottle of wine during witching hour (the evening).. Strategy: do nothing!

Day 7 today and i think the fog is starting to lift. No headache this morning, and mot really craving sugar.

You'll have to check in re- your blood sugar diet.. I'd be interested to hear, and it's good to get support.

Would like to switch over from the occassional piece of bread with my eggs to completely white carbohydrates free. Have switched from starchy vegetables though to non starch, eg, cauli, broccoli etc.

Cookies: yes, avacados are great! Have one in the fridge :) Great in green smoothies too.

• Like 2
  • Author

Thanks divegrl.

Made it to day 8 and on day 9 I fell off the wagon. Bought a bottle of wine, and this morning I bought some chocolate biscuits because I felt so hungover, I thought it would make me (physically) feel better.

Am still determined to go sugar free and will resume my mission after today.

1966Seahorse

Hi Soak,

How are you getting on after your wine/chocolate biscuit wobble!!

I started my diet on 1st October so here we are on day 7 of the 8 week blood sugar diet!!

For the first three days I had a seriously bad headache - I guess going cold turkey on the no sugar thing!! Thankfully on day 4 it started to get better!

So here I am on day 7 and I have to say I have not felt hungry once ... however I think this is actually due to the fact that I have cut my tea intake down to 1 mug a day max (some days no tea at all) and upped my intake of drinking water - I have one large glass of water before and after every meal - I think it is making me feel full!

The diet I am doing is quite hard - I am only having 800 calories a day, so kinda punishing and there can be quite a lot of prepping to make meals, which can be a pain.

But .... so far so good .... however I am out tonight for a meal so everything is going to go t i t s up tonight ha ha .... a tiny bit of alcohol will be consumed as well .... but I know that once I get up tomorrow morning I will be back to "being good".

I am glad I have managed a week so far without "straying" ... went out for a lovely walk in the woods yesterday, the weather was fab - gloriously sunny, so, yes, all good!!

How are you getting on? I do think of you!!

Hang in there :D

xx

• Like 1
1966Seahorse

.... I forgot to add that basically I have cut out all sugars (as much as possible - obviously some things have natural sugars in them) ...

... no potatoes, no pasta, no rice .... limited fruit .... no bread ...

... so instead of say, spaghetti, I will have courgetti instead (spiralised courgette) ...

... I have lots of vegetables ... full fat greek yoghurt .... feta cheese is mainly the only cheese used ... semi skimmed milk.

... there is no "low fat" stuff going on in this diet ... everything used, such as the greek yoghurt and coconut milk is the usual stuff (however milk is semi skimmed).

:D

• Like 1
  • Author

Oh, Seahorse.. I've been thinking about you too! Congratulations on getting passed day 7! I know what you mean about the headaches, I reckon they take about 4-5 days minimum to go.

My wobble has lasted a few days, but I decided this morning I need to get back on the wagon so to speak. Still haven't given up the occasional peice of toast, or white carbohydrate, but am fighting off the craving for sugar today. There is definitely a link between loneliness and self indulging for me.

Am about to leave for a short evening shift at work. Am going to stop off at super market to buy herbal tea instead of biscuits as snack.

Good on you :)

1966Seahorse

Hi Soak .... I can definitely see what you mean when you say "there is definitely a link between loneliness and self indulging for me" .... I can consume so much sugary stuff it is crazy and I know I do it for the exact same reason ....

.... and if I go off the wagon as you say you have for a few days then I really beat myself up and, basically, the diet ends .... so for me I have to be all in 100 percent ....

.... anyway I went out last night, only had a main and a diet coke but beforehand had 2 glasses of prosecco ... oh - I forgot - when I went back to the friends' house we had apple crumble and cream - groan :(

.... anyway I couldn't do much about that but I am still fully focused ...

.... and I weighed myself this morning at the beginning of day 8 ... drum roll .....

.... first week and a weight loss of 7lb .... I am so pleased!!

Keep going Soak - you can do it!!!!! :)

xx

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Journeybehindyoureye

Oh **** here’s a support group I need! I really need to control my sugar addiction

I broke the cycle at the start of the semester (when I moved into an apartment) and I get so much better but then Halloween game around and I totally binged. And now I’m trapped in the addiction cycle again where the cravings are too strong for me to overcome and it just keeps continuing...

• Author

Oh, haha! Funny that this thread has been rejuvinated. I've been through the rollercoaster of sugar / no sugar since early Oct, but am thinking of going no sugar again very soon.

It just takes willpower and a fridge full of alternatives. Was thinking of doing it again next week. Keep us updated!