Hello all. I'm trying to sleep but lately I've become overwhelmed during a transition at work and a few things in my personal life.

I'm in my late 40s and to be honest I'm tired of my job. I'm ready to either take a sobatical or some other type of career change. I prefer a long break because I feel myself about to break and I'm not as productive and fresh as I was during my earlier years.

I was on anti-depressantS ,need different meds but haven't gotten them yet. I've been functioning ok since I came off the meds but i feel myself gradually wanting to pull away from so many things socially and especially professionally. I have a Dr appointment this week but some changes won't occur as fast as I need them to. My job requires me to deal with people of all ages and I need to be present not daydreaming of retiring...

Your advice and experience is appreciated .

Fair if you hate Jim Carrey but have you seen Yes Man? It's a fantastic time piece circa the financial collapse with Zooey Deschanel. It's pretty uplifting and a good narrative. Especially if you can't sleep.

So, first off if you can financially afford to quit. You should. If you can ask for a sabbatical that's even better. Go travel if you haven't. You'll be amazed by observing and interacting with other cultures how much insight you gain on the world and yourself. It's one of the best medicines out there.

When you get back from someplace you daydream of, you can refocus and find another job.

Otherwise, I recommend trying a tandem sky-dive. The more varied your experiences and sources for endorphins the better.

Are you in a profession in which you can easily find other positions and, in your personal life, have flexibilty to move? Can you afford to take a "break"? These are important questions.

I am a university professor with tenure - I love my profession but that doesn't mean that it's not without stress, a lot of stress. My wife and I have a two-part running joke - 1) I will be the only person in history who will die regretting that he didn't spend more time at work, and 2) her job is to make sure I have a balanced work-family life whether I want it or not! :D

A few months ago, I was proscribed anti-anxiety medication (Lexapro) for the first time in my life. First, I suggest that unless you have a long-term history of mental illness or diagnosed anxiety, take it slow on the medication - I am cutting my 10-mg tablets in half. Second, focus on living in the moment and living intentionally - day-by-day, hour-by-hour.

I love the "Yes Man" and skydiving suggestions - the latter is on my bucket list!