I've been in the process of completely overhauling the health and wellness aspect of my lifestyle lately. I have an organic grocery delivery service dropping off copious amounts of vegetables every week, I had surgery on my shoulder this year so I can be able to effectively keep a workout regiment without any injury related interruptions, next year I'm going to move to the mountains where I'll be closer to all of the outdoor hobbies I love, and hopefully within a couple years I'll be able to quit shift work fo eva.

Also in the cards is to be a more positive thinking person, since I tend to jump to the negative too often. There have been many studies that correlate positive thinking to longevity, so this one is important to me.

What are some strategies you use to think positively? Has anyone here made a big change from the negative to the positive?

• Like 1

I still still working at it - I can tell you I have been working to have no view. That is during moments of negativity or stress, to empty my mind and engage in some meditation or emptying my mind and breathing.

Its a step.

• Like 1
  • Author
I still still working at it - I can tell you I have been working to have no view. That is during moments of negativity or stress, to empty my mind and engage in some meditation or emptying my mind and breathing.

Its a step.

Do you find the meditation has been effective?

Do you find the meditation has been effective?

Yes I do. I have a DVD on mediation but have not completed it yet. One of my yoga routines includes 5 mins at the end of just trying to empty your mind and focus on breathing. I have empolyed this simple method at times (not often enough) when I find my mind going in negative areas or loops. Its a bit tricky to empty your mind (think of nothing :rolleyes:) but sometimes I think of blue sky with clouds passing by quickly - and the clouds miight have a thought and I just let it float by and return to focusing on breath in and out - also the breath traveling up and down my spine.

Sorry I dont have more than this right now - Its a slow process for me. I am actually dealing with some real loss in my marriage (and life) so its not like I dont have some reasons to focus on the negative. Also I am a natural worrier and tend to get stuck in loop of negative things that have or are happening to me.

Edited by dichotomy
  • Author
Yes I do. I have a DVD on mediation but have not completed it yet. One of my yoga routines includes 5 mins at the end of just trying to empty your mind and focus on breathing. I have empolyed this simple method at times (not often enough) when I find my mind going in negative areas or loops. Its a bit tricky to empty your mind (think of nothing :rolleyes:) but sometimes I think of blue sky with clouds passing by quickly - and the clouds miight have a thought and I just let it float by and return to focusing on breath in and out - also the breath traveling up and down my spine.

Sorry I dont have more than this right now - Its a slow process for me. I am actually dealing with some real loss in my marriage (and life) so its not like I dont have some reasons to focus on the negative. Also I am a natural worrier and tend to get stuck in loop of negative things that have or are happening to me.

It's all good, sorry about your loss. I've always found that listening to live comedy helps me get over hard times. Laughter is the best medicine!

I have been to yoga a few times and when we did the breathing exercises at the beginning I would become so relaxed that I would call asleep! I could see how doing steady yoga would be very beneficial. Once my shoulder is better I will definitely get back into it.

One thing I really want to try is a sensory deprivation tank, it's supposed to be one of the most powerful ways to meditate. What better place to lose yourself in your own thoughts?

• Like 1