Deleted my Facebook a month ago and life has been awesome.

ZayKayWill

I don't miss it one bit. I leave for Japan in a couple weeks so I may give in then....but man life has been awesome not always wondering what other people are thinking all the time. O_o

• Like 8
bathtub-row

Good for you! I personally find facebook depressing because of the ridiculous things people post on it. I haven't deleted my fb page but I rarely go to it nowadays. I'm much happier for it. Then when I do go visit, it's more of the same crap. Sometimes, it's just best not to know what people are thinking. lol.

• Like 4
  • Author
ZayKayWill
Good for you! I personally find facebook depressing because of the ridiculous things people post on it. I haven't deleted my fb page but I rarely go to it nowadays. I'm much happier for it. Then when I do go visit, it's more of the same crap. Sometimes, it's just best not to know what people are thinking. lol.

Seriously. I always told myself that I would never be one to drop Facebok but I guess I was wrong :/. You can only handle so much ignorance.

• Like 1

have never had it and never will , the most ridiculous socially destructive intrusive thing ever invented l reckon. Can't believe people use it let the crap all over it into their lives, really can't.

got an account l errr, activate, now and then, just to keep an eye on my daughter and then l'm outa there. That's it.

• Like 3
bathtub-row
have never had it and never will , the most ridiculous socially destructive intrusive thing ever invented l reckon. Can't believe people use it let the crap all over it into their lives, really can't.

got an account l errr, activate, now and then, just to keep an eye on my daughter and then l'm outa there. That's it.

I think facebook has its uses but, as with most things, people find a way to use and abuse it. I like it for keeping loose contact with people I've known for years but am not super-close to, relatives I love and care about who don't live nearby, I like it for updates on friend's lives --- but I don't need a blow-by-blow of someone's daily life, and I don't need clever little sayings lecturing me on life or on their moral standing, don't need bible quotes, and I definitely don't need the "let me so who reads my post by sharing it" nonsense. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
penelopeanne

I deactivate mine from time to time and notice a decrease in anxiety.

it is useful for some things but overall I find social media to be a bit overwhelming.

• Like 2
littleblackheart

I go on and off facebook depending on the time I have; I use it to share big news with close friends who don't live locally as a round-robin type of thing, but I've not found using FB to affect my moods one way or the other.

You can control the type of audience you want to share info with or receive news from anyway, and you can accept or 'unfriend' anyone at a moment's notice so it doesn't have to be intrusive at all.

• Like 1

I can't do Facebook anymore for a number of reasons. I miss out on some gossip, but I'm rather content just asking my friends about the latest gossip. I don't seem to miss much.

I registered to FB in late 2008 when it was all the rage and MySpace was dying.

Had my times there, keeping in touch, parties, high-school reunion and eventually deleted without any prior announcement that I was done reading nonsense, people whining, attention seeking people and the ''funny'' memes.

It's been 4 years without FB and I'm free of many hassle. Would recommend.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
meta.morphate

I changed the password to something I don't know (a bunch of random letters/numbers) so there's no way I can ever get back into my FB ... that was back in like.. December/January, and I do not regret it at all. It's like taking a breath of fresh air. FB brought so much negativity to my life - or it allowed me to engage in negativity I should say. I was always creeping on the guy I deal with ... comparing myself to other females, particularly girls who are more active on FB than I could ever be ... and it was just so energy-draining. And easy to become obsessive with.

It's amazing how every single person I could ever want to be in contact with, I am still in contact with. Even people I primarily kept in contact with over FB, have reached out through text, or whatever - I don't feel like I am missing anyone or anything.

It's so nice to just only exist in one sphere, just the here and now. I have no idea what anyone in the world is doing who I haven't seen or talked to today, nor do I care.

It's the best thing I couldn't done for myself.

I hope we ever see the day when people go back to living in the moment and just existing where they are.

• Like 2
lonelyplanetmoon

I am not on FB and have never been.

My recent ex was always on it.

I have been wondering if that contributed to the demise of our relationship.

meta.morphate
I am not on FB and have never been.

My recent ex was always on it.

I have been wondering if that contributed to the demise of our relationship.

Probably. One of my things that I want in a relationship, is someone who doesn't spend too much time on social media. All it is, is a distraction from real life, which distorts reality and makes you think you're missing out on things, that everything's better elsewhere, that everyone else has more or is living better ... on top of the fact that you can talk to all these people, who are all presenting the very best (if not an entirely artificial) version of themselves.

• Like 3
amaysngrace

I think it's sad for people who are in the middle of something so great yet feel the need to check out while they post their experience to the world.

Looks to me like they must be having a blast :laugh:

• Like 3
lonelyplanetmoon
Probably. One of my things that I want in a relationship, is someone who doesn't spend too much time on social media. All it is, is a distraction from real life, which distorts reality and makes you think you're missing out on things, that everything's better elsewhere, that everyone else has more or is living better ... on top of the fact that you can talk to all these people, who are all presenting the very best (if not an entirely artificial) version of themselves.

OMG! That is it exactly! He left saying he was feeling disconnected and unhappy (bored etc). Our life was really good in many respects. He got to do whatever he wanted. But it never seemed enough.

Yes I am also thinking that this would be an early discussion point when I start dating someone. I'm definitely not interested in going through this again.

Copying your reply to my notes for future reference. Thank you!! You just made my day. Feel so much better to understand that it was not me.

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

I have such mixed feelings about this. One the one hand, it's a great way to keep up with distant friends and extended family, and a way to easily get information out to the masses in the case of an adversity (as happened with my family this week). But, as a divorced mom not made of money, this time of year is a bit difficult when I see all of the posts about happy family vacations. And even extravagant ones I know I'll never take. Just in the last week three of my Facebook friends (none of whom are acquainted) have gone to Spain on vaca! Envy starts to rear its ugly head even though I know I'm very blessed. And a homebody ;).

It definitely takes up too much of my time and work productivity (as does this forum as of late) so I wish we could set lock-out times! :)

• Like 1
I think it's sad for people who are in the middle of something so great yet feel the need to check out while they post their experience to the world.

Looks to me like they must be having a blast :laugh:

I always find that weird too. I can see taking a picture of some nice scenery or something and then posting it later. But it seems like, for so many people, their initial thought must be to get a pic for social media. And the people that post pics of their food constantly. What is up with that? My mind doesn't even go there when I am eating.

Save

• Like 6
CautiouslyOptimistic
I always find that weird too. I can see taking a picture of some nice scenery or something and then posting it later. But it seems like, for so many people, their initial thought must be to get a pic for social media. And the people that post pics of their food constantly. What is up with that? My mind doesn't even go there when I am eating.

Save

My sister and I are part of a group of 10 women who take a girls trip every year to a different city in the USA. The last one I was on (not everyone can make it every year) was a couple years ago and my sis was there, too. The amount of photos, including selfies, being taken and posted on social media was so over the top it was ruining the whole experience and, frankly, pissing my sister and me off lol! It felt like we were on a 5 day photo shoot, not a vacation. On our last night there, my usually mild mannered sis slammed her hand down on the dinner table (out at a restaurant) and yelled at everyone to put their phones in the center of the table, and the first one to grab their phone had to pay for all ten of us! It worked! Everyone was fine with it, learned a lesson, and we actually all got to talk to each other and enjoy the dinner instead of it just being posted on Facebook!!!

I have a couple of friends who post nearly every meal or every workout or every date/relationship problem on social media and it is incredibly annoying. I post nothing personal at all (5 years after my divorce I still had friends who had no clue I was divorced). I don't get the need to share every detail of your life with the world.

• Like 3
meta.morphate
OMG! That is it exactly! He left saying he was feeling disconnected and unhappy (bored etc). Our life was really good in many respects. He got to do whatever he wanted. But it never seemed enough.

Yes I am also thinking that this would be an early discussion point when I start dating someone. I'm definitely not interested in going through this again.

Copying your reply to my notes for future reference. Thank you!! You just made my day. Feel so much better to understand that it was not me.

Yesss boo, I'm glad I was able to help! Really this is one of those topics I could go on and on about, it just bugs me so much.

He was feeling disconnected and bored ... and looking at the BEST version of everyone else's life - or, don't even get me started, but the girls that are thirst trapping, making all these dudes think that there's something better to be had elsewhere ... is what makes him feel that way! It's not real life people, like hello!!

My ex was always only concerned with how our relationship looked to other people on FB, but not how it really was. I remember the day my diploma for my Bachelor's came, and he was being a jerk to me, and walked right past me into the bathroom, and was clearly in there on his phone .... and so I posted a picture of my diploma, got 40-some-odd comments, and he commented on it saying , "great job bae, so proud of you, love you, blah blah ...." YET HE WAS IN MY BATHROOM AND HAD NOT GIVEN A **** ABOUT MY DIPLOMA IN REAL LIFE!! But as long as FB thought everything was peachy.

• Like 5
meta.morphate

And last New Year's Eve .... at the bar, there's a wide open dance floor, not to mention a cute DJ, and all these girls were dancing in one little corner, in front of their phones, snap chatting or FB living or whatever they were doing - but they weren't even in the room! They were completely on their phones, totally unaware of the environment they were in! Like you got all dressed up, looking cute, to go out, and only look at and interact with your phone!!

Last night at the fireworks, same thing. God forbid you don't get a picture of the fireworks .... nobody does anything just to do it anymore, it's all for show. No one cares that you're at the fireworks lol we're all here too. Just put your damn phone away and enjoy your life.

• Like 3
MercuryMorrison1971

I deleted my Facebook over two years ago. Life drastically improved for me when I severed the tie's of social media. It will for you to, so live it and make it a good one!

fieldoflavender

I'm thinking of pulling the plug too. We make contact with the people who are important in our lives. I got rid of it during my current break-up and I think I will continue to just leave it off.

coolheadal
I don't miss it one bit. I leave for Japan in a couple weeks so I may give in then....but man life has been awesome not always wondering what other people are thinking all the time. O_o

I have a few accounts but my full real name account I had deleted that one 7 years ago.. It had to be done for a few reasons, to get my ex-wf and her wacko family off my butt. Plus my side was the family was huge as well. Not easy to delete as it is today.. But you have to break away from social media of course today everything is social media. Unless you hang out at the pub or bar to gather and speak to the locals of your area or town..

InvisiBlonde
I changed the password to something I don't know (a bunch of random letters/numbers) so there's no way I can ever get back into my FB ... that was back in like.. December/January, and I do not regret it at all.

Hats off to you, meta.morphate! :cool:

That's a great idea; don't know if I'd have the guts.

InvisiBlonde

I think the original idea and purpose of FB was brilliant, and I think it's still great for certain types of things: Commercial endeavours; club or school meetings and events; or if you have the type of family who have tee shirts made up for your annual reunion!

I am very much an introvert and have never done well in crowds. I found myself as much a wallflower at the FB party as I do at parties IRL.

I deleted my account almost two years ago. So far not one of my "friends" has missed me.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I despise facebook and all it stands for. Am very close to deactivating it. Have a business page, which is useless (decided if i get nothing out of it after six months, i'd likely delete it. I reckon i'll deactivate within the next few weeks. So refreshing to see that people are choosing healthier lifestyles. Crapbook only wants ypur money, they're evil.

• Like 1