Hi Gang,

To make a long story short, my best friend has had a very rough couple months. On top of other things, she found out she was pregnant. She made the decision to abort the baby for medical reasons - neither she nor it would have lived had she carried it to term. Despite knowing that this was the right decision, she's really really struggling with it. The abortion was a couple weeks ago and she has good days and bad days (and mostly bad nights it seems). She isn't sleeping much (not that she ever did before) and is having awful nightmares and crying bouts (usu. when I'm not around). She feels incredibly guilty about having had to "kill" her baby to save her own life and the fact that for many many reasons she could not tell the father.

Late last night I got an email from her - this has become sort of normal as this is when she is the most upset about it. But her email was a little scary - along with the usual talk about how guilty she feels, how much she wishes she could tell the dad, how upset she is, she talked about how she just wants to go to sleep and never wake up and how she "really isn't sure" she can go on. Its not like she said "I AM going to go to sleep and never wake up" ... but its still gotten me a little worried....

I just worry because you hear all those statistics about suicide and how "there was always some sort of warning sign" - I don't want to miss something. She knows she can call me ANY TIME she needs to - we have a very close and open friendship and talk about everything - I just don't know what to do?

Please Note: I am NOT here to discuss the morals/politics/whatever of abortion. Please do not bring that into this thread.

westernxer

Please advise her to get some counseling. She sounds like she really needs it.

Originally posted by westernxer

Please advise her to get some counseling. She sounds like she really needs it.

I totally agree!!!!