What defines a "humble" person? open discussion.

well first off, im cool with everyone in my workplace...

Anyway i was about to head out to lunch today with my friend at work, until my co-worker asks if i could get her a bottle of water. since the store was downstairs, i say sure and she gives me a $1.

The telemarketer next to her said to me "you're so humble"

I think this was the first time anyone has ever called me humble. And this really confused me because i didnt know what she meant by it.

And this is me now, thinking...what really defines a humble person. What actions and attitude makes a person "humble".

When the word humble comes to mind, i think "humble servant". As that line has been used time and time again in movies.

Open discussion, speak freely...

Humble to me is a person who does amazing things but never steps up to say Look at me..

A Person who does for others without waiting for the pay out (so to speak)

A Person who puts others needs before thier own..

• Like 1
LucreziaBorgia

It would be humbling to be ordered to get this person a water on your own time and tab, in which the context would be appropriate I guess - but this person asked, offered to pay, and since it was on your way, you agreed. That just sounds 'friendly' to me, rather than humble.

Humble to me means:

1. Marked by meekness or modesty in behavior, attitude, or spirit; not arrogant or prideful.

2. Showing deferential or submissive respect: a humble apology.

3. Low in rank, quality, or station; unpretentious or lowly: a humble cottage.

circusfood

Not Pretentious or Unassuming is the only definition

i've ever read.

If someone described someone as Humble, i'd think they

meant the person was very kind and a nice guy and doesn't

realize his own self-worth or how nice and giving he is. He just

does things.

It's weird though..I mean..you could take it wrong and think they

mean that you're a Softy and easily controlled, because you just go

along with whatever, you're passive....

But i think in this situation, she was just saying you're so NICE.

Originally posted by LucreziaBorgia

It would be humbling to be ordered to get this person a water on your own time and tab, in which the context would be appropriate I guess - but this person asked, offered to pay, and since it was on your way, you agreed. That just sounds 'friendly' to me, rather than humble.

IMPO someone is humble when they are not conceited. When they don't brag about what they have. Someone who is modest. Some that does not think that he/she is higher than someone else.

Originally posted by LucreziaBorgia

Exactly!!! If they would have ordered you to do something and you did it with no problem that would be humble but you were friendly.

Originally posted by ~Naive~

Very welcomed ;)

i also believe humble means to be brought down a little...like as in "the demeaning statement humbled the previously proud man."

she probably meant it in the way that some people think it means, though, as in just "nice." similar to the same way people use "ignorant" as in "rude" but which really means "lack of knowledge."

John Charles

humble, well there is a range: a lot of humble means your the yes man - people basically step on you. a little humbleness is where you can suck up a lot of pride and let things go like when someone pushes you on the subway, you can say "watch it" (no humbleness), or you can just move on and brush the dirt off that shoulder (a lil humbleness). best to go with a little humbleness, which sounds like thats where you are. =)

• Author

you know i've always had a slightly similar definition as the rest of everyone here.

something such as being modest, laid back, passive, gentleman-like. The world would be a better place if everyone was humble.

I used to be a pretty passive person and let things slide in the past. but over the years, i've learned it's better to be more assertive. So at least let people know you wont wake **** from them (let them disrespect you). And i have grown more assertive and less passive, but from the looks of it not 100% yet.

I don't think of humble as necessarily being passive. I think its a compliment to be told you are humble. When I hear the word I just think of a person who is not conceited, arrogant, or prideful. Doesn't brag on their self or toot their own horn. Also, someone who doesn't even realize if they are attractive/intelligent/ other good qualities. Just a really down to earth person.