Bipolarlove

I have been feeling really depressed and have a lot of anxiety... Mostly seperation anxiety so i have been overly clingy with my mate and i can tell he wants his space.

I have been on and off medication since i was 14 and i just hate taking the pills. And i am too shy for therapy. I never want to talk to the councelors. Does anyone have any ideas how i can try to help my depression before it escalates to suicidal tendancies? I have felt a little suicidal in the last few months

whichwayisup

Getting therapy would be the best thing for you. I know you say you're shy but therapy (CBT, cognitive behavior therapy) can truly help you and teach you how to control your anxiety and lessen your negative thoughts making you feel depressed. A therapist can make you less shy too. Please consider it because you don't want to get to the point where you can't get out of bed and stop functioning, stop going out etc..

Does your friend know you suffer from some anxiety and depression?

• Like 1
amaysngrace

If you're feeling suicidal you should be screened by a mental health professional to assess the risk of you hurting yourself.

You're in crisis sweetie and you should be seen by someone at once.

• Like 2
fullofhope347

Hey Sweet girl!!!

I have a great resource for you!!!

I know of a number you can call to get a counselor free and it is all done over the phone!

Please consider it - these are feelings you should not ignore.

It is through the resource Focus on the Family and the counselor number is 855-382-5433

Please call

Praying for you precious lady!!!

Talk to the counsellors. I know you say you are too shy but ask yourself why you are? What are you afraid of? They are not going to judge you. They are there to help you work through your problems and to be a support.

• Like 2
amaysngrace

Spider owl is right....counselors are there to help you, not judge you....

...and most of them have probably heard it all before so even if they were to judge, which hopefully they won't, I'm sure they've heard much much worse.

But if you're feeling judged by your counselor then you need to find another counselor.

camillalev

Agree with everyone here, if you're feeling suicidal see a counselor. Feeling this way is no joke. Depression is a mental illness like cancer is a physical one. I'm shy and have social anxiety so I get why it's difficult, but seeing a counselor and potentially finding some relief is better than feeling this way.

• Author
Bipolarlove

Does your friend know you suffer from some anxiety and depression?

He knows. I just dont know if he understands exactly how much it effects me. He thinks when i dont want him to go out without me its because i dont trust him. But really it's because i have the fear of seperation and i become terrified when he leaves. Always imagining the worst things that could hinder him from returning.

I have been feeling really depressed and have a lot of anxiety... Mostly seperation anxiety so i have been overly clingy with my mate and i can tell he wants his space.

I have been on and off medication since i was 14 and i just hate taking the pills. And i am too shy for therapy. I never want to talk to the councelors. Does anyone have any ideas how i can try to help my depression before it escalates to suicidal tendancies? I have felt a little suicidal in the last few months

If you are unwilling to help yourself by seeing someone then you have to understand that's a decision to stay depressed. I suffered from deep depression for over a decade, 2 months ago I started a new therapy. I have no symptoms of major depression anymore. But its been a hellish kind of therapy. If you are of tender inclinations I can't recommend it because it does bring up all your dark stuff and hit you in the face with it. There was a week or two where I felt on very shaky ground.

My experience is this, depression and anxiety is just a victim mentality running your life. It's your capitulation to this mentality which has put you where you are. Rooting that out is neither pleasant nor easy, but it can be done. If you just want to feel better take some pills, seriously. Dealing with your stuff isn't going to make you feel better. What it will do though is put you in place where you don't have to be depressed or anxious anymore but it's hard work.

If you want an easier time of things this is what I recommend as a starting point...

Get back on some meds. You need something that can support your mood stability. Trying to go it totally alone is probably not going to be helpful for you at this point since you say you are suicidal.

CBT - is pretty much junk therapy as far as my experience goes. It just teaches you to live your life as an depressed and anxious person and does absolutely nothing toward fixing the root cause.

ACT - Acceptance & Commitment Therapy is much better in my experience. Because not only does it teach you to live with the symptoms in the short term but it also helps to redirect your life in a more positive direction. If you cannot afford a therapist for this then the book, The Happiness Trap will teach you it and you can just work on it on your own. You might even find an ACT therapist willing to do online therapy with you or an online ACT support group which is free.

But you need to do something.

Sneakerhead

We sound alike. I'm very shy and hate going to therapy, I hate telling my story to therapists so I don't go anymore, I also stopped taking pills. I should listen to my own suggestions but I never do so with that...Ride a bike, go exercise, hang out with friends, talk to family members, listen to music. Hope everything works out for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I went through this recently. My husband and I moved to an acreage to live our dream which we now are. A few months after moving her I started to experience depression and anxiety. For me that was very strange as a personal development coach so I decided to seek immediate aid. I was not interested in medication in my particular case. I had other symptoms but didn't connect them with depression. I have a naturopath who is my main doctor. Every time she tells me something she sounds like a quack but she is right consistently so I do what she says and wait for the results.

She said depression is not caused in the mind but in the body. My insomnia she said was not a symptom of depression like most people think but they are both a symptom of another issue. I had terrible daydreams I couldn't control for some reason and my depression was getting worse every day. She said my liver was taxed and it was causing all of my issues. The liver is supposed to replenish around 2-5 am and since mine couldn't I woke lots. She also said that my daydreams I hated was really my liver sending distress signals to the brain. Turns out this theory is common in Asian medicine when I looked it up online.

She put me on a specific diet, gave me a liver supplement, adrenal support and support for excess bacteria in my system. A week later I was feeling much better and by the end of week two I felt wonderful, both mentally and physically. That was about 6 months ago and all is still well.

It is so hard to be depressed. I feel for your situation. Just thought I would share another perspective. Do what you need to do for yourself. Make yourself a priority above all else and keep posting here. You have support even if it is from afar.