Does anyone here NOT use social media?

I don't, and I'm in my 20s, is that weird? I used to be a regular on FB when it first got popular circa 10 years ago, I was in high school. I quit even before the other platforms such as twitter took off, about 5 years ago, and I haven't missed it much.

I found too many people from my past trying to contact me that I didn't want to be in touch with. I hear the privacy settings are more strict now but I don't want to risk it. Either way I am not a picture person, I'm only close with a small group of people, keep to myself for the most part, and if I ever do want to keep in touch with anyone who lived far away, phone, texting and email work just fine to me. So it kind of destroys the purpose of social media doesn't? For me at least. And having time for it was a challenge and it can be a drama catalyst. It was for me to some degree.

Recently I was told by a customer at work that I must be the only person under 30 who doesn't have any kind of online page. That kind of made me think about all this. Does not being in the loop everyone else seems to be in an outcast?

• Like 2
lil hoodlum

I don't use social media for the same reasons you listed.

I also think most of it is just fake like Fakebook.

• Like 4
  • Author

Thank you! Do you ever feel pressure to be on it?

It's so in our faces nowadays, EVERYWHERE I go it's 'like us!' 'Follow us!' It's so annoying lol

I started using FB while travelling as it seemed the only way people would stay in contact. I now use it as my family are on the other side of the world and I occasionally update them with what I'm up to - but I've changed the settings so only they and a few close friends see anything really.

If I was living back in my own country, I'd probably delete the account.

I don't use any of the other social media apps like photo sharing, etc.

I use them only to a very limited extent - in fact, not to communicate with people, but rather to read news (some journalists publish them on Facebook only). Twitter can be useful when you closely follow some event and want to know what's happening there every hour and every minute (in this case, I read the Twitter of some mass medium).

• Like 1

As I mentioned elsewhere, I could go without Facebook if it weren't for my nostalgic side that wants to keep up with old friends and other people I've met over the years. I do find the avid Facebooking, the "hey look at me" attitude to be narcissistic personally, and it turns me off. I keep my Facebook use to just scanning my feed and maybe an occasional "like" or comment. My girlfriend is always wanting me to be more public on Facebook with commenting on her stuff or posting pics professing my love for her ;)

I never got into Twitter (I do manage the work twitter account however) and missed the Myspace hype, Instagram I'd use if I made a commitment to take more pics but as of now, it's not a priority.

I used facebook for a few years but only posted something on it once. I found myself getting irritated by what people posted rather easily, and I'd rather see my friends in the personal way that I know and love them for, rather than their artificial social media personality.

The thing that can be annoying is that when catching up with long-distance friends, they expect me to know that they've been on vacation or that their daughter did something meaningful, when in reality, I have no idea what is going on in their life until we catch up on the phone. They find it strange that I'm not up to date on everything they post on facebook, but they know me well so it doesn't cause any problems.

The thing that can be annoying is that when catching up with long-distance friends, they expect me to know that they've been on vacation or that their daughter did something meaningful, when in reality, I have no idea what is going on in their life until we catch up on the phone. They find it strange that I'm not up to date on everything they post on facebook

Same thing happens to me all the time.

I only use Facebook to look at the trending topics and use the messenger appm to talk to those friends who are on the opposite side of the world from me. I rarely post anything.

I don't use anything. I had a facebook for a few months about 6 years ago and deleted it. I got sick of people posting what they were making for lunch, how drunk they were, endless pictures of their kids... not only that, but I value my privacy and have a small group of friends who I keep in touch with regularly. I was sick of getting friend requests from people I went to highschool with whom I hadn't spoken to in years. I also work in a field where I'd rather not have social media of any sort.

Michelle ma Belle

I for one think it's very refreshing to hear of a someone under 30 who is NOT on social media.

I'm older so the expectations around having and interacting on social media are a little less than with younger generations I think.

Like you, there was a time I was very active on Facebook when it was new and trendy but have since done some serious weeding of "friends" over the years and even went so far as alter my name so I'm virtually unsearchable. The only reason I haven't deleted my account entirely is because it does serve as a pretty good means to stay connected to family and friends living abroad of which I have many.

As for the rest of the social media channels like Instagram and Twitter in particular, although I use them for work purposes I do NOT have my own personal accounts nor have any intentions of creating any. I just don't see the point of letting everyone any anyone know my every thought or every move. Who the hell cares THAT much?

Personally I think it's all just a big show for the most part. Things are rarely ever what they appear to be online and I've found that the more people parade their personal lives all over the internet the more they're trying to convince others as well as themselves they are better than they really are. It's all very self indulgent and ego driven. The less you do online the better in my humble opinion.

Clarence_Boddicker

I don't, but eventually everyone will be forced to have it. Social media will become a de facto resume. A future industry will be social media engineering firms to "correct" deficit web pages, so everyone can appear to be like everyone else.

• Author

I'm so glad I'm not alone! And it's nice to see I'm not the only one who doesn't have any interest in reading pointless posts from people who haven't talked to you in ten years.

Me. I use some blogging platforms (Tumblr, Wordpress) as a way to express my thoughts and my art projects I work on. No one in "the real world" even knows I have them (I'm pretty anonymous, not that I'm trying to hide. I just want them to focus on my thoughts/art not my "real life" persona). But FB/Twitter/Instagram, I found it so...

It's like, I would have coworkers who would post photos up of their awesome day, and I was sitting right there with them all day. Their butts were in chairs in a moldy office. They weren't at the beach, you know. So it's all fake, it's putting up this facade of who you wish you could be.

That and I really am not interested in seeing my friends coworkers cousins step granddaughter sitting on the toilet for her "first potty."

BLECK.

It's so in our faces nowadays, EVERYWHERE I go it's 'like us!' 'Follow us!' It's so annoying lol

And to answer this question, I feel pressured ALL THE TIME. I get the question from acquaintances/coworkers, "Are you on Facebook?" And the second I tell them no, they look all bummed out and don't want to talk to me anymore like we have "nothing in common" anymore.

Thanks for this thread !

I no more feel odd;

me too , I don't use social media ; decativated my FB account long back for same reasons you listed and when I just click an option called download my profile ; which showed me how much FB knows about me ; it bothered me a lot to suggest even to me to contact an Ex ; expected that she might be receiving also same ...

It's only pressure if you allow it to affect you that way.

I was on FB and was posting semi-regular status updates as recent as about 2 years ago. However, I've deactivated my account and have been off it for almost a year now. Don't miss it. Like you, I have a small circle of friends/acquaintances, and they have my number and I have theirs. Social media does have its pros, of course, but it's just not for me anymore.

Personally I think it's all just a big show for the most part. Things are rarely ever what they appear to be online and I've found that the more people parade their personal lives all over the internet the more they're trying to convince others as well as themselves they are better than they really are. It's all very self indulgent and ego driven. The less you do online the better in my humble opinion.

THIS. SO.MUCH.THIS.

You hit the nail on the head, Michelle. I got sick of all my "friends" posting all these fancy vacation photos with "cute" captions and stuff like #YOLO #BestTripEva! It's a bunch of show, an ego stroke and getting their friends to "like" it.

So many status updates that are humble brags too.

Stuff like "Didn't put on makeup and still got hit on! Don't you hate that?!"

got sooo darn annoying after a while. 90% of status updates are ego and self-driven and humble brags of some sort. "Just ran 5 miles for the first time in 10 years. Ha, kid still got it!"

Remember when people told their friends stuff like that privately? Now they get to announce it to the world. Yippee doo.

LOL, I've become so jaded and cynical over the years.

loveweary11

I've always bern an early adopter AND early rejecter.

I was in chatrooms, on MySpace, on Facebook, etc... Facebook actually stuck, but I dumped it because I prefer social media as a place to meet *new* people, not as a place to keep track of old people and get into fights, which Facebook is the perfect platform for.

I never liked twitter. Don't really have much to say out of the clear blue.

I also don't want a record of my life on a server somewhere that could be used against me.

On the other hand, I'm a complete Snapchat wh°re!! :lmao:

Best social media app ever invented!! Nothing stays on the server, it's fun. It's hilarious. Love everything about it.

brandonstellar

I'm thinking about NOT using social media because that's all anything revolves around these days and it's annoying to me. I can understand how you would feel pressured to be on social media.

Nope, I'm under 30 and don't find the need to have Facebook. I like my life without Facebook, it feels more real :)