People Would Love to Stay Home!

My parents think that everyone around me that works or goes to school etc. Ya know doing something with their lives would do anything to be able to stay home and not do anything but sit on their butts, watching TV and being online all day long.

Is this true or false? Would any of you want to just sit on your butts all day and not do anything?

IMO, depends on the person. Some people are driven throughout life to have irons in the fire, always have a project going and remain constantly active. Others are fine with sitting back and reflecting upon ideas, concepts, theories and life itself without any definable goal or process. Then there's everything in between.

What we each have in life in equal portions, save for our mortality, is time. With that time we make choices. Life happens. Then it's over. When ones time for life being over comes, each of us deals with it, and life's totality, in our own way.

Good luck in your choices and in life!

Who is to say what sitting on one's butt is?

When I was a kid, I would spend weekends and entire weeks "sitting on my butt doing nothing" in my room. My parents always gave me a hard time about it. "Why don't you get off your butt and do something" they'd say.

As it turns out, i wasa 7 year old kid writing programs on my computer in BASIC,well before computers were mainstream. A BASIC manual on the desk and PEEK and POKE commands to access memory directly, I created basic games and a word processor.

But, to my parents, this was "doing nothing."

I would and do sit on my butt doing nothing as often as possible.

• Like 2

If I don't have enough to do I'm bored and if I have too much to do I'm cranky.

I like a balance of both.

• Like 1
  • Author

What my parents were trying to say was that the people who work or go to school or live on their own, would be jealous at the fact that I don't work or go to school and just spend time at home not doing anything.

Saying how I live in a fantasy world by being on the internet and watching TV, I don't do anything so my life is useless etc.

DrReplyInRhymes
What my parents were trying to say was that the people who work or go to school or live on their own, would be jealous at the fact that I don't work or go to school and just spend time at home not doing anything.

Saying how I live in a fantasy world by being on the internet and watching TV, I don't do anything so my life is useless etc.

Your parents are right, in my humble opinion I concur

You have 1 life to live, don't be your own chauffeur,

Unless, of course, your passion is with internet and TV,

Then try to gear your life toward something in that industry.

I think what your parents are really trying to say,

is that you should spend this time experiencing the world day to day,

vicariously living through others in TV and on the web,

is not living at all, but just existing instead.

Once you get older, and more responsibilities arise,

You will find that you will regret sitting on your ass inside.

Go meet people, go make mistakes and learn how to live,

Just make sure you stay true to yourself, and take what this life has to give!

• Like 3
Eternal Sunshine

I enjoy working and would die of boredom if I didn't. However, I do not like a lot of social engagements or endless activity. I need short time each day to just sit back and relax.

• Like 1

I don't know if your lifestyle is useless but it certainly isn't very productive.

Go to school or go get a job or both or two jobs and go to school.

Because you live at home you have the perfect opportunity to save some money but you have to get off your butt and go make some first.

Or do you just plan to freeload all of your life?

Well, lots of people do their work at home, on the internet - so for them no, it wouldn't be considered 'sitting around doing nothing'.

But if you're not doing any work or school, and are just using the internet for idle surfing, then yes, you are sitting around doing nothing. Are there people who would want to do that? I suppose. But how is it sustainable? Do you intend to live with your parents for the rest of your life?

• Like 1

Do you want to stay at home and do little? Most people would like more leisure, but most would also do something interesting or productive. It sounds like you're doing neither, and I have no respect for that attitude.

I love staying home and doing nothing! LOVE. IT!

I say this often: If I won the lottery, I would never work again. It can get boring, but I'd rather only go out for social engagements, than to go to work.

Don't get me wrong, I love what I do, but I really don't need to work to be happy!

Luckily, at this moment, I work an average of about 10 days a month, so have plenty of time to be a bum!

• Like 1

Everything in moderation. Work in small quantities is a great thing, work in massive amounts is a horrible thing. Sitting around doing nothing is great in small quantities, but doing nothing for weeks, months, years is a horrible thing.

• Like 2

I would love to stay home, but not in order to do nothing. I would love to have more time for my personal projects. I'm teaching myself how to use game-making software and I've started using it to make a game with it. It's very time consuming. With enough time and effort, it could become a part-time business. Working fulltime makes it hard to work on it though. By the time I get home I'm usually pretty tired. When I see someone who gets to stay home I want to tell them to take advantage of that time because not everyone is lucky enough to do that.

Maybe your parents weren't trying to call you useless. Maybe they just don't feel appreciated. They are giving you a golden opportunity. You have the opportunity to do almost anything you want. Take advantage of it, because it's true that a lot of people would love to have more options available to them. You don't even need to go to school if that's not your thing. Find what you are passionate about and go from there. You could start with volunteering somewhere.

Edited by SpiralOut
  • Like 1
I would love to stay home, but not in order to do nothing. I would love to have more time for my personal projects. I'm teaching myself how to use game-making software and I've started using it to make a game with it. It's very time consuming. With enough time and effort, it could become a part-time business. Working fulltime makes it hard to work on it though. By the time I get home I'm usually pretty tired. When I see someone who gets to stay home I want to tell them to take advantage of that time because not everyone is lucky enough to do that.

I empathize with that. I've been trying to get a couple of side projects off the ground too, and it hasn't been going that well. I'm luckier than most in that I can do much of my work from home, so I don't waste time commuting or getting ready for work, etc. But still, after a whole day of coding, the last thing I want to do with my free time is write more code. :(

I'm thinking of taking some time off in the future to focus on those projects and see if they take off. And I recognize that I'm incredibly lucky to even have the option of considering that. But it's also a tough call to make - the projects might not end up being profitable.

I also hope the OP takes advantage of the free time she has to work on her future.