Recovery: my personal journey

Honestly when I think about it everyone has been through hardships in their lives, I am not saying my situation is special, I just would like to share it! Okay so when I was 15 I was a confident, charming, and happy young man. I like to think I had the world by the "balls", but over that year I fell into a horrible depression out of no where. Having never felt this way before, I became extremely paranoid, and ended up in front of a psychiatrist. He prescribed me a series of psychotropic drugs, because I was indeed "very bipolar". Keep in mind I was having suicidal idealizations and having extreme delusions at the time.

I even at one point was going to church and thought I was jesus reincarnated! (this was after I was on the medicine). Well as I spiraled further into insanity, depression, and anxiety filled sleepless nights, I ended up in a mental hospital. It was here that a nurse shined a light in my eyes and noticed my pupils would not contract! I was ordered an MRI, and what was revealed was extremely life changing. I had a brain tumor in the center of my brain the size of a lemon! I was completely distraught, but for some reason a deep peace fell over me. I knew everything was going to be alright for some reason. After the next year, (and 4 rounds of chemo, 30 rounds of radiation to the brain, and emotional turmoil), I was cured! However sadly the journey to recovery would not end there.

My depression and anxiety stayed with me until the present year. 2008-2014, and scary enough it all subsided when I switched out my anti sezure medicine, (I had only had 1 before so we thought I would be better with another medicine because I had liver damage.) Once on the new low dose of medicine, I had 3 more grand mal seizure this year...But with an upped dose of medicine and no depression and high spirits I am here to tell you I am a truly happy Man once again... However the fact remains that here at this point in my life I am alive and that is all that matters to me anymore!!!!!!- Zachary Grubbs 12/3/14.

• Like 1

Hi Zachary, I am happy to hear that things have turned around for you, and really hope that it continues on in this positive direction. :)

• Like 1
  • Author
Hi Zachary, I am happy to hear that things have turned around for you, and really hope that it continues on in this positive direction. :)

Thank you!!

• Like 1