Homeless in Rural Area

Hi guys, I'm new here. Let me explain my situation.

I don't know if anyone here has been homeless, but I live in a rural area...it's a small town of 1,000 people...with just a few backroads. There are very little job opportunities.

My mom is getting sicker, and it's unknown if she's going to make. and as she owns the house we live in, I lived with 6 other people who are family members. None of us have jobs, and not for a lack of trying. I'm in my early 20s. My mom is 70 with heart problems.

I worked in yards to make some cash, but for 5 hrs of work, I only was paid 10 bucks. Townspeople are very poor and redneck-ish here.

The nearest urban area is 150 miles away in Birmingham, Alabama. I do not have a vehicle or money at this point. So I'm currently in a self-conflict here.

My town's rural and jobs are near impossible to find. I've been here for years since coming back from college. Only thing I have to my name is this laptop, some clothes, a blanket and an EBT card. I do not have a car. (everyone in our family is on food stamps, but feeding 6 people on 400 dollars a month, is difficult)

I currently do not have a home. Or money, other than this fs card, that's all I have.

I wanna leave and search for work in a more prosperous area. I understand that times are tough and it' shard for everyone, but that's what upsets me...there is little opportunity here. I want to work my way up while I'm still young.

Anyone ever lived in a town so small there was only 3 traffic lights in the whole town, 3 grocery stores and 15 churches? Were you ever homeless in these towns? Did you migrate to larger cities?

I honestly do not know if walking 150 miles to the nearest city is the best idea. I'm having doubts. I don't have a sleeping bag, money, or a tent. Just a lot of blankets.

We're dirt poor in this area. I just feel hopeless. Doctors say my mom could die at any time. She dies and the house is gone.

What should I do? Should I take the leap of faith and walk all the way to the city?

Or should I wait it out and hope things get better.

Here is where I live Butler, Alabama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have you reached out to any church groups? They may be able to help at the holidays.

Since you are receiving some sort of government assistance, ask your case worker to get you some sort of career counseling.

Make sure your mom's affairs are in order so that if she does pass, you will know who is to inherit the house assuming there is some equity. Make sure that inheritance will not disqualify you for any other benefits you are receiving.

I do hope your mom is OK

Edited by d0nnivain
  • Like 1
  • Author
Have you reached out to any church groups? They may be able to help at the holidays.

Since you are receiving some sort of government assistance, ask your case worker to get you some sort of career counseling.

Make sure your mom's affairs are in order so that if she does pass, you will know who is to inherit the house assuming there is some equity. Make sure that inheritance will not disqualify you for any other benefits you are receiving.

I do hope your mom is OK

Thank you. We had already taken care of said affairs. The property will be going to my brother...who is autistic.

I was thinking of going into the military, however.

That's a good idea. Maybe you can get some job skills and an education. If you get deployed you can make good money tax free. Then after you get out you will be hired more easily as a veteran.

Wait till the weather is better before heading to a recruitment center. Meanwhile since you have access to a computer, google the requirements for all of the armed services and pick one that appeals to you.

The property will be going to my brother...who is autistic.

How will he be able to take care of a house? Sell it when your mom dies and pay for him to live with a relative as caretaker. Or move with you to the city. Autistic people get social services and many can do simple, repetitive jobs that normal people hate.

I was thinking of going into the military, however.

That actually sounds like a good plan. However, when you are ready to be discharged do two things in preparation: have a job or education plan for civilian life and have copies of all your military medical records. They will help later on if you need VA benefits. If you were not given skills that translate easily to civilian life re-enlist rather than coming out to no job. Also look into getting some college credits or vocational training. The world will always need mechanics, plumbers, electricians etc.

Where are your friends from college?

Go to one of their places and start a new life in the city they are in.

If you went to certain parts of FL or new york city, I have jobs, but not housing available.

• Author
That actually sounds like a good plan. However, when you are ready to be discharged do two things in preparation: have a job or education plan for civilian life and have copies of all your military medical records. They will help later on if you need VA benefits. If you were not given skills that translate easily to civilian life re-enlist rather than coming out to no job. Also look into getting some college credits or vocational training. The world will always need mechanics, plumbers, electricians etc.

I'd go technical...I want to get a job that'll always be in demand.

I would have loved to be an accountant but I have to be financially sound right now...

I can always get the CPA in the future. I'm glad you guys are giving me ideas here.

And to the last poster...I just want a JOB. I'm 23 and my resume is practically empty. -_-

I can do without the housing. I'll figure it out.

I can join the military. I only have one spot on my record: an arrest back in June over a domestic dispute....I was kept in jail overnight and the charges were dropped against me.

But my rural area doesn't leave many liveable options, and with my mom getting sick...I'm afraid of what could happen.

Selling the house? I could totally do that and use the money to move. I know of a few places my autistic brother could go...he's a very hard worker who's very good with his hands.

I'd have to kick out my niece and nephew, but they are in their 30s and never lived on their own before. Being that they are both users...it would be a PLEASURE after years of misery.

Edited by LiveorDie57

Well you guys have the luxury of internet that runs what 80 to 100 bucks per month if you turn that off it will free up more money for food or travel money just an idea...

Edited by TigerLilly78

Do you have a college degree? Why don't you look for a job that also provides housing -- i.e. on a cruise ship, oil rig, teaching English overseas, Peace Corps, resort work, WWOOF, etc.? I also agree that the military seems like a good option for you.

In the meantime, in Butler the McDonald's, Dollar General, and CEFCO convenience stores are all hiring. Have you applied to all of those places? If you can't find a job, your only option seems to be to leave. Are there any charitable organizations that can help you get a bus ticket or other transportation to Birmingham? There was another homeless guy in a very similar situation to yours who also happened to live in Butler, AL, and if I recall correctly, he got a lot of advice about charitable organizations and other things he could do to improve his situation. You might run a search to look up his threads.

I don't understand the house situation. Why does your brother inherit it? How is that going to work since he is autistic? Can he even have a house titled in his name? Does he get SSI?

• Like 1

You do need to make sure that the inheritance won't interfere with any benefits your brother gets now. You may also want to look into getting a guardianship for him. Talk to your local ARC.

• Like 1
  • Author
Do you have a college degree? Why don't you look for a job that also provides housing -- i.e. on a cruise ship, oil rig, teaching English overseas, Peace Corps, resort work, WWOOF, etc.? I also agree that the military seems like a good option for you.

In the meantime, in Butler the McDonald's, Dollar General, and CEFCO convenience stores are all hiring. Have you applied to all of those places? If you can't find a job, your only option seems to be to leave. Are there any charitable organizations that can help you get a bus ticket or other transportation to Birmingham? There was another homeless guy in a very similar situation to yours who also happened to live in Butler, AL, and if I recall correctly, he got a lot of advice about charitable organizations and other things he could do to improve his situation. You might run a search to look up his threads.

I don't understand the house situation. Why does your brother inherit it? How is that going to work since he is autistic? Can he even have a house titled in his name? Does he get SSI?

Yep...all of them.

Btw, that guy that posted..is me. My account got removed...I wouldn't be surprised if they removed it again. Loveshack loves doing that. So I couldn't give anyone a proper update.

Btw, our library's closing next month.

Same guy who up until recently, had no ID. I had JUST gotten it back. Had to go ALL the way to NYC just to get my birth certificate.

He does not get SSI. Mom hasn't considered it. Same mother wanted me to file for disability for my ADD. I refused, instead preferring to get a job here.

CEFCO requires experience...sometimes I had to lie about my experience just to get noticed...I've been rejected 7 times at CEFCO

Dollar General does online interviews. Been there twice...rejected.

MacDonald's is fairly new. I've gotten interviews there but with my ID situation(which I repeat, is FINALLY fixed) they weren't able to hire me all those months ago.

The house is supposedly going to be in his name, since I have no interest in the house...what's the point in having it if there's no lights or water in it.

Of course, they'll have to be someone to "supervise" him. The original supervisor, my sister, is dead. My older brother is disabled from a stroke...so that leaves me...and then there are my niece and nephew.

I took your guys advice though. Found a Mormon church in Toxey near her and so far, guys have been helpful in giving me areas I can check out for further help. Sadly, those said areas are in the major cities of Alabama...Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, Mobile.

Other than that Mormon church, there are no charitable organizations. Imma keep applying to MacDonald's tho till I get another interview, but it does get frustrating, I won't lie.

But part time is better than nothing. Hoping I get an interview to have SOME money in my pocket. Small rural towns are really tough about hiring people who aren't in the "inner circle."

I'm doing my best though. :)

• Author
You do need to make sure that the inheritance won't interfere with any benefits your brother gets now. You may also want to look into getting a guardianship for him. Talk to your local ARC.

He doesn't get any benefits.

-_- Not a single one. We're adopted. I believe until we turned 21, mom collected a check due to our adoption.

He needs it though. For now though, I am MORE than happy that I have my ID back. That was one heck of an ordeal.

He doesn't get any benefits.

-_- Not a single one. We're adopted. I believe until we turned 21, mom collected a check due to our adoption.

He needs it though. For now though, I am MORE than happy that I have my ID back. That was one heck of an ordeal.

Well then help him out. If he has certain conditions he may be eligible for SSI. Go to The United States Social Security Administration & apply on his behalf. If he's taken care of, then you will have one less burden. But if he gets SSI he can't inherit the house unless the proceeds go into a special needs trust. You should be able to find a pro bono lawyer or a law student at a clinic to create one for him. Call the state bar association for help.

I'd go technical...I want to get a job that'll always be in demand.

I would have loved to be an accountant but I have to be financially sound right now...

I can always get the CPA in the future. I'm glad you guys are giving me ideas here.

And to the last poster...I just want a JOB. I'm 23 and my resume is practically empty. -_-

I can do without the housing. I'll figure it out.

I can join the military. I only have one spot on my record: an arrest back in June over a domestic dispute....I was kept in jail overnight and the charges were dropped against me.

But my rural area doesn't leave many liveable options, and with my mom getting sick...I'm afraid of what could happen.

Selling the house? I could totally do that and use the money to move. I know of a few places my autistic brother could go...he's a very hard worker who's very good with his hands.

I'd have to kick out my niece and nephew, but they are in their 30s and never lived on their own before. Being that they are both users...it would be a PLEASURE after years of misery.

If you're for real, send me a private message or let me know how to reach you. I do have jobs. They are my companies, so I make the decision on who works. You'll be fired instantly if you mention this website to anyone though! lol

• Like 1
  • Author

you can email me....

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
No posting of personal emails publicly......especially when you are a PBM for trolling threads.
Yep...all of them.

Btw, that guy that posted..is me. My account got removed...I wouldn't be surprised if they removed it again. Loveshack loves doing that. So I couldn't give anyone a proper update.

Btw, our library's closing next month.

Im sure the mods had a reason for closing your other account there is no mention of the butler library closing on their web site or any of the other two in your area..edit to add out of 15 churches in your area only one would help you? im sorry not trying to be a downer here but somethings not adding up..