The Root Source of Lies and False Accusations

I've slowly begun to realize something about lies and false accusations. When you actually get into the mind of whoever says them, what you NEVER find is a person who feels as if he or she is outright being mean, deceptive, or wicked. This never happens. What's always the case is that the person believes one of two things: 1) they aren't lying at all, or 2) they are just shading some information because there is some "greater good" which they believe they are "nobly" trying to achieve.

Socrates and the Bible both say that all of a person's ways are right and good in their own eyes. Combine this with the fact that there is CLEARLY evil and deception in the world. What do we make of this?

My ex and her family falsely accused me of various things during my divorce proceedings. I am fully convinced that, not only do they think they did nothing wrong, but that they believe they did what was noble. Why? They were preserving "the family", the almighty family. And, of course, in their minds, their family is the center of the world. You cannot harm anyone when you are preserving the chosen family, of course.

This is true with all lies. We put something, or someone, above the fact that we are lying, to justify our lie.

• Like 1