What are the benefits of having Facebook?

Copelandsanity

Not many. Multiple studies have found that spending time on Facebook - and likely with all social media - has negative effects on you. The

The biggest benefit I've seen is that people organize events there so if you're not on Facebook, you won't be invited.

• Like 1
Not many. Multiple studies have found that spending time on Facebook - and likely with all social media - has negative effects on you. The

The biggest benefit I've seen is that people organize events there so if you're not on Facebook, you won't be invited.

I'd go with that. It does seem to me that the only thing you may miss out on are any events planned on there, that's it. I've been off it for a year and have never missed being on it.

I don't want to know what my work colleagues dog had for it's dinner, and I doubt anyone wants to know that I've went cycling, chilled with some music and washed my car this weekend either.

It's all about putting on a show.

Very little benefits to me personally.

I only activate mine when I want to find someone I want to reconnect with. Then I send them a message with my email, tell them to get in touch with me, and close it down. These social media sites are riddled with land mines if you are in a relationship. If you aren't in a relationship, I can't see many benefits at all. It seems just like a giant waste of time. But hey, we are all different.

I love FB. It serves its purpose well, which is to keep me in touch with people who are far away and I might not see as often as I'd like.

Sure, in the middle of that there's a lot of stuff I have no need for, but I can just hide the things I'm not interested in. All in all, I think it's a great tool. I don't think it is essential, mind, so the benefits from it will vary wildly, but for me, it works a treat and I don't plan on ever closing my account.

• Like 1

I joined because many of my friends at the time just put all their photos on facebook and if I wanted a photo, that was the easiest way to get it.

I mostly leave it up so if I need to contact an acquaintance or they want to contact me, they can. I don't want everyone knowing my phone number.

Aside from that, not many benefits. It can be interesting to see what people do on there sometimes. I've heard that post-sex selfies are a thing now? Thank goodness nobody on my newsfeed does that.

SincereOnlineGuy
Haven't used Facebook for about six or more years,thinking of opening my account tonight,what are the benefits?

Well its like this... decades ago, I used to see this guy, who (probably didn't get a fair shake in life, between his ears)...

Now this guy wasn't especially inappropriate, and he didn't seem to break any laws, but he just seemed to BLURT-out nearly every thought that crossed his mind. (when around women, this was extremely likely to begin with earrings)

When around random women at the bus stop, he would just blurt: I see you're wearing Koala Bear earrings (or whatever kind of earrings they might be)... and on good-for-him days this would lead to a longer-than-deserved conversation about earrings, or Koala Bears, or whatever. On bad days, the women would just be annoyed, yet would keep on their game faces, because he never seemed to mean any true harm, and because they had some compassion for the guy.

Facebook effectively causes everybody to approach life that way, communicating every mundane bit of the absurd in their heads, and YOU invite it from each of the people whose wor(l)ds you follow there!!

So in the end, youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu brought all of that absurdity upon yourself, and the internet served as no more than a video game pitting you against all of the other foolish players as a car-racing video game might pit one coin-paying customer against two others at the arcade. (all that so that the machine itself didn't have to serve up a quarter's worth of entertainment).

• Author
Thegreatestthing

That guy sounds very interesting,so far im really enjoying stalking my exes on Facebook,last time I was on there no way did you get this much info,posts,photos everything is there for you to see.

Standard-Fare

The biggest benefit to Facebook is being able to keep track of everyone's birthdays. I miss so many now that I don't use FB anymore, and it makes me feel like an a*shole. I need a new system.

It's also much easier to miss "big news" in your friends/acquaintances' lives, i.e. engagements, babies, or even deaths of loved ones. For some reason Facebook has become the #1 mode for conveying that type of news, which I think is troubling. But I've found that the important stuff I need to know does make its way to me eventually, even if I'm sometimes a couple days late.

And as someone else mentioned... a lot of events/invitations get posted on Facebook. I don't know if I've missed anything... I feel like I get word of the stuff I'm naturally supposed to be attending.

Other than that... I can't see any benefits. Facebook consistently inspired a range of negative emotions for me. I'm much better without it.

i don't use it at all. but, i have noticed that workmates will sometimes say 'see it on my fb' and obviously, i cannot. or, my friends seem to know more about each other and what each one did over the weekend than i do, because they post photos of events and etc. they were at. i am sometimes the last one in my circle to know about something. and work people seem to get to know each other that way. but i don't feel i am missing out and don't use it at all.

The biggest benefit to Facebook is being able to keep track of everyone's birthdays. I miss so many now that I don't use FB anymore, and it makes me feel like an a*shole. I need a new system.

It's also much easier to miss "big news" in your friends/acquaintances' lives, i.e. engagements, babies, or even deaths of loved ones. For some reason Facebook has become the #1 mode for conveying that type of news, which I think is troubling. But I've found that the important stuff I need to know does make its way to me eventually, even if I'm sometimes a couple days late.

And as someone else mentioned... a lot of events/invitations get posted on Facebook. I don't know if I've missed anything... I feel like I get word of the stuff I'm naturally supposed to be attending.

Other than that... I can't see any benefits. Facebook consistently inspired a range of negative emotions for me. I'm much better without it.

This is pretty much how I feel about it.

I closed my account a few months ago as it was just too much stress. All these vindictive groups sprouting up, good people seeming to think it was ok because its only on the internet and not "real life".... and my stalker was using it to follow me around. I just thought sod it. I haven't missed it all that much although I do still get emails/ calls from people telling me that they miss me on there and want me to go back. The last words I typed on there were F*** Facebook! So for someone who was normally posting silly (cheer you up) stories, recipes, ideas and inspiring thoughts of the day it was bit of a shock for many. I just exploded.

I will eventually go back but I will be changing my name to a false one to protect myself, I will be deleting a whole load of people off and also making sure that everything is set to friends only, changing search options etc to max out on my privacy as much as possible.

Its going to be quite a bit of work for not much so I haven't bothered yet.

I had a rule that if I wouldn't have someone in my house for a cup of tea they would not be my FB friend. I am now upping the anti to if I wouldn't mind them looking in my knicker drawer...

I do miss seeing all of my friends pictures and stuff though. It is harder to keep in contact with out FB, well worth the effort though as I talk to them more rather than have a false sense of contact through FB...

Nikki Sahagin

The positives are being able to see a window into the life of those you care about when you are far away. All in all I think FB is destructive; it creates a false sense of closeness and intimacy with people whom you usually are not close with in reality. I like using it to keep in touch with my family and friends, although I mainly use Viber and Whatsapp for this purpose because I prefer calling to messaging.

I didn't get many positives out of it and stopped using it almost a year ago. I feel like a jerk bragging about my life so I rarely posted anything. I also found that some of my close friends were exaggerating their lives to an absurd state. It's almost as if people have a different personality on there and I prefer their "real-life" personalities.

I went through all my friends' birthdays one day and put reminders on my phone so I can call them to wish them a happy birthday rather than facebook it to them. Responses have been very positive.

• Like 1

I joined for this first time in August of this year. I had a social/workout group that posted updates and questions. So I joined for that and its been good to have it for this.:)

And then got in a bad habit of stalking people I should not....:eek:

If not for connecting to the group or two I am involved with - I would have never have joined.

My wife has been on it forever, and in the beginning it was negative on our relationship, but its tolerable now.

Nikki Sahagin
I joined for this first time in August of this year. I had a social/workout group that posted updates and questions. So I joined for that and its been good to have it for this.:)

And then got in a bad habit of stalking people I should not....:eek:

If not for connecting to the group or two I am involved with - I would have never have joined.

My wife has been on it forever, and in the beginning it was negative on our relationship, but its tolerable now.

I used to stalk on it a lot too.

I'd get thoughts like

'Damn, she's prettier than me'

'My boyfriend said his ex was Lisa - I wonder what she looks like. Oh ****, I can read the comments he used to write to her'

'I wonder how Jim from PS is doing. Oh damn, he's doing better than me'

I found it had a bad impact on me but this might just be reflective of my own issues rather than a side effect of FB. I do think FB is a bit of a Pandora's box. Unless you are VERY secure and not too curious, most do get sucked into stalking, at least at some point with someone; exes, crushes, your boyfriends exes etc, your high school sweetheart. I would say I think it's better to keep the box closed.

• Like 1
Haven't used Facebook for about six or more years,thinking of opening my account tonight,what are the benefits?

I use mine to keep in touch with family and friends that lives back home in Europe. Its also good to reconnect with people you lost in touch with