I don't like talking on the phone. It may have something to do with my adhd and that phone conversations require more focus than I'm comfortable with. On top of that, I have several family members who do not understand the concept of a quick phone call. It's next to impossible to end the conversation with them, so I avoid their calls altogether. I feel that this has negatively impacted my relationships with friends, family and even romantic relationships. People seem to think that I don't care about them because I don't want to sit around for an hour with a phone pressed up to my ear yapping about who knows what. I even had a family member go on a rant about how I am so cold and ungrateful because I don't show that I care since I rarely call.

Texting I am fine with. I can communicate and respond at my convenience and it doesn't prevent me from doing other activities at the same time (except for driving of course). Spending time in person is great too. Obviously can't do that too often with with people who don't live nearby.

Should I just suck it up? Or do people need to just let me be who I am?

Have you tried incessant pacing?

Sitting still while talking on the phone is torturous for me, but once I get my legs under me the conversation tends to go a lot smoother.