Im sick of this will it ever end

TigerLilly78

So this is something that's been on my mind off and on ever since my mom passed away years ago I deal with depression it comes and goes. Most times I can ignore it but lately the waves are getting worse.

Ive been on antidepressant meds once before for a few years it was ok I didn't feel depressed most of the time I didn't feel anything is that how your suppose to feel on those things?

I pulled myself off them eventually cause it seamed like the right thing to do but now im wondering if I need them again. I really don't want to feel depressed but I also don't want to feel like a numb robot going thu each day like the last.

Some times I think this will never stop and im sick of havering head problems. The funny thing is by all rights I should be happy right now everything is going well in my life. I don't know I guess tomorrow my mood will shift and it will all be ok again..

I have never been on antidepressants, but I have several friends who have been on them for years. They all say that the meds make them feel even. I think that is what you describe as numb. They just always feel OK and don't swing up or down.

I'm sorry you're struggling with this.

• Author
TigerLilly78
I have never been on antidepressants, but I have several friends who have been on them for years. They all say that the meds make them feel even. I think that is what you describe as numb. They just always feel OK and don't swing up or down.

I'm sorry you're struggling with this.

Thank you for the reply yeah see that's what I want to avoid I don't want to just feel OK 24/7! I mean I do but yeah not like that. I don't know if all meds do that or if its just you have to find the right one for you.

Of course if I ask a doc they will tell me what they think I need to hear rather then be 100% honest and I don't want to get onto something like that again it was very hard to ween myself off of..

Thank you for the reply yeah see that's what I want to avoid I don't want to just feel OK 24/7! I mean I do but yeah not like that. I don't know if all meds do that or if its just you have to find the right one for you.

Of course if I ask a doc they will tell me what they think I need to hear rather then be 100% honest and I don't want to get onto something like that again it was very hard to ween myself off of..

It's hard too because doctors unfortunately don't always have our best interests at heart - they are getting money from certain drug companies and so on.

It wouldn't hurt to see a GP and take it from there. Have you ever been in therapy? Did that help at all?

• Author
TigerLilly78
It's hard too because doctors unfortunately don't always have our best interests at heart - they are getting money from certain drug companies and so on.

It wouldn't hurt to see a GP and take it from there. Have you ever been in therapy? Did that help at all?

Yeah I know what you mean about the kick backs...Yeah my entire child hood was one long endless counseling session..I dunno maybe as an adult it might make more sense and be more helpful now...

Try meditation, especially if you can be initiated in kriya, which is the most ancient form of meditation. Check here to see if there is a local group. It's really helped with my insomnia, depression and anxiety.

• Like 1

What are you on? Regular AD isn't supposed to make you feel numb but balance serotin levels (though they all have loads of side effects, so maybe chance the drug or dosage). But anti anxiety drugs will make you numb and are often prescribed in times of stress/grief. But these are not supposed to be taken for years even though it happens far too often, but weeks at the most.

Ninjainpajamas

The problem is that when people are on medication, they think they feel fine and are doing much better now and don't need them (because of the medication) so they decide that they no longer need the medication and stop taking it...after a while of being off the medication, guess what happens? they experience another situation and sends them spiraling down again, and now again, they have to get back on the medication...maybe this time another medication.

Rationally, not feeling anything is better than feeling depressed, it at least makes you functional...gives you some control over your life....however, I don't think medication solves the problem either and it will affect your life, but without having learned any other techniques or ways of coping and dealing with your issues that cause the depression or influence it...I don't see how the depression will go away on it's own.

I can understand how frustrating doctors must get watching people go through this same cycle over and over and not be able to do much put prescribe medication...if they could get in your head and fix your issue then I'm sure they would, but with psychological issues if you don't do the self-work then no one is really able to help you, unless they're helping you recognize the issues so that you can fix them...but all too often people desire that doctors work miracles and just magically fix them, or therapists just wave a magic wand and it just goes away, ultimately you have to unlock the doors that are causing your or influencing your depression to at least help alleviate the triggers.

Medically speaking however, you might realistically need some medication if there is just a fundamental chronic issue to fix whatever imbalance there might be. So I would try out medications that feel best for you.