Not sure when or if to go to grad school

So I graduated from college with my BS last year in Business and I've been doing marketing for about 3 years now. I got laid off a decent job 3 months after I graduated due to the company filing bankruptcy. I have another part time job now and I've been doing contract work and second jobs on the side through temp agencies the past few months. I get plenty of interviews, even a few offers, but I have been selective as I want my next opportunity to be long term and I don't want to jump around. Anyhow, I already have student loan debt coming up to pay off and I'd like to go back to school for a MBA, but I'd rather establish job security and a better paying job before taking out more loans. So my question is, is a MBA beneficial in my situation? Or should I spend a few more years building up experience in my field? The last thing I want is to take more loans out and make minimal money. I definitely want to go back to school for the MBA someday, but my question is whether or not it would be beneficial right now or when I have more experience. I've found that employers value experience over education, but education is a big plus. Thoughts?

Well, if you're not sure about timing for getting an MBA there are a couple of things you can do to help you decide. First, choose a university or college in your city that offers MBA programs. You can either audit a course in an MBA program to get a taste of it (by audit, I mean that you can take a class as a non-degree seeking student), or attend an info session and chat with staff at the info session.

Then, you can also do informational interviews with prospective employers about their hiring processes. Ask them how much they value work experience over higher degree, but you'll most likely get different answers. There is no one-way to do things in life.

If you want to get an MBA to add to your portfolio then by all means do it. I do know that some financial employers do reimburse their employees with tuition remission, so there is that to consider too. You may want get a job where your employer will reimburse your tuition fees, if the employer thinks your degree will enhance your job skills.

To recap:

• Audit a course in an MBA program as a non-degree student
  • Attend multiple info sessions for different MBA programs
  • Ask your current/prospective employers about the value of an MBA degree
  • Do informational interviews with fiancial institutions but be prepared for different answers/opinions
  • Talk to a Dept Chair of an MBA program to see if doing the program now will benefit you more than later based on your career path goals.

• Like 2

Congrats on wanting to pursue grad school :).

First and foremost, I'd take things slow. There's no real need to rush into such a big decision. I can't tell you how many people I know who have pursued a higher education degree, and don't end up using it. Make sure it's the field you want to be in. You were in marketing previously...is an MBA the best degree for that field? Or are there other things you desire to do with an MBA?

If you haven't worked in the area of business that you desire to, I would recommend finding a job first, and getting more experience before committing yourself to the education.

Also, I think finding a job will allow you to save up the money you need for the degree. I really don't recommend loans.

But, if you are adamant about loans, make sure to calculate out the cost-benefit. Will the cost of the degree actually make a profitable return? Please don't go crazy with the most expensive education! I find, in my own career, that experience and networking weigh more heavily than where I graduated from.

Again, I really stress paying for your degree as you go, or saving up beforehand. I think student loan debt is so awful. :(

Anyway, best of luck! I think it's something great to consider, just don't rush into anything :).

• Like 1
  • Author
Congrats on wanting to pursue grad school :).

First and foremost, I'd take things slow. There's no real need to rush into such a big decision. I can't tell you how many people I know who have pursued a higher education degree, and don't end up using it. Make sure it's the field you want to be in. You were in marketing previously...is an MBA the best degree for that field? Or are there other things you desire to do with an MBA?

If you haven't worked in the area of business that you desire to, I would recommend finding a job first, and getting more experience before committing yourself to the education.

Also, I think finding a job will allow you to save up the money you need for the degree. I really don't recommend loans.

But, if you are adamant about loans, make sure to calculate out the cost-benefit. Will the cost of the degree actually make a profitable return? Please don't go crazy with the most expensive education! I find, in my own career, that experience and networking weigh more heavily than where I graduated from.

Again, I really stress paying for your degree as you go, or saving up beforehand. I think student loan debt is so awful. :(

Anyway, best of luck! I think it's something great to consider, just don't rush into anything :).

That is a really good idea. I actually scoffed at the idea of someone taking 10 years to get their bachelors by paying on their own, but you're right it is probably better than getting into more debt. I've been in marketing for 3 years and would like to do an MBA in marketing as to move up and be in a position with more seniority. I think also employer tuition reimbursement is a good idea too. I will consider paying as I go for an MBA...that way I can get my degree sooner while avoiding more debt, even if it's one class at a time.

• Like 3