Assist Me with My Future Career.

At age 28 I have decided to go after my dream career, opposed to the degrees I did because they were "easy" to pass and "safe".

To begin with: have been too scared to go after a slightly more demanding degree because I thought it was too late at my age. Which is silly, since I did get high distinctions in chemistry and biology in my higher school certificate, which gives you the ATAR you need, the score in which you gain entrance into University courses; my ATAR was 92. Dietetics, a four year degree, requires 88 ATAR. Where as law requires 90, and nursing and teaching require in the 60's and 70's.

I am well aware that I cannot just go after my passion 100%, as the degrees that fulfil me academically may yield too low prospects, so I will likely have to compromise; find something I like, and battle out a few subjects I dislike such as math and physics.

I need honest feedback. I am passionate about science relating to humans and also plants and anything surrounding geography or meteorology. I have a broad range of interests which I am hoping will serve me well, and allow me to have at least ONE option of a degree that isn't totally dire in its prospects! I am spending until December extensively researching my area of passion academically speaking; health science based degrees OR anything earth science. Then I will submit my semester 1 2015 admission.

I would like people to give me honest feedback about people they know who have dabbled in degrees or subsequent careers in anything: health science or earth science. I want a realistic depiction of just how hard it is to get a job in the fields I am naturally passionate about studying.

I want to go after the degree and career that I would still opt to do if I won several million dollars.

Ideally, if I had unlimited funds, I would still want to study:

- a health science based degree as I love biomedical subjects that are offered in some health science degrees like dietetics and occupational therapy and of course biomedical science degrees. I do not love math or physics and I am not willing to do more than a year of soft to medium level of either subject. Health science degrees at the most, contain math for ONE semester, so 6 months. There are no hard math or even any physics for health science degrees, although I am guessing physiotherapy would contain ample physics....

- A degree centred in earth science, such as environmental science or earth science, on the path to becoming a geologist or meteorologist. Anything to do with human or the environment around me, I always have a natural interest in since I am learning about things that directly apply to me, or the world around me and also in the scope of science (where my interest is dominant compared to other areas)

- a degree that takes a year longer than the typical three year bachelors degrees, but that is more technical; for instance, a dietetics degree opposed to doing a plain old food science and nutrition degree. OR, to be an occupational therapist -I want to BE someone, I want to become an expert in a specific thing, opposed to a broad health sciences degree....Which you obviously have to do a masters/post grad studies to get anywhere in.

Picking my Bachelors degree...Narrowing it down.

- so far, a four year bachelors of dietetics or occupational therapy are the two degrees which I feel will fulfil my passions academically speaking, as they are heavy on biology an chemistry, my strong points.

- they are also very specific degrees so the degree alone is solid enough to NOT warrant a masters just to get a job.

- there is a strong growth predicted for both jobs in the future but sadly, there is a predicted LOW employment rate for dieticians, and a moderate to low employment rate for occupational therapists.

I am not sure why there is strong growth predicted yet without the resulting job prospects to match? Of course I have heard from medical students that THEY think dieticians will start to dominate hospitals more and become a go to consultant for most doctors and health experts.

There is a third and fourth degree I would be academically passionate about and would light my academic fire very nicely.

Biomedical science are subjects I am passionate about and love studying, and a medical laboratory assistant gets average to above average pay, there are average to low predicted positions available and it sounds reasonably promising; it will not get me a job as fast as a nursing degree would and it is not growing in the rapid pace nursing is, but it is not dire either.

- sadly, I think that biomedical science grads will ONLY ever work in a lab, and will never progress career wise UNLESS they do further studies, aka, a masters in pharmacy or physiotherapy OR get a PHD (no thanks! A masters is attractive, though).

Geology, meteorology, earth science or environmental science ARE ALL areas that stimulate be to no end.

I am also going to research these degrees.

My hobby right now, and actually I started when I was a child, is studying weather. I love hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.

It sounds like geologists , according to the government website that outlines job prospects for each profession, earn A LOT, 2900 a week, HOWEVER; obviously they all have PHD'S to get that sort of money! NO new earth science grad would get anything like that!

I am sick of studying degrees I am not fired up about and I where don't feel accomplished, where my academic fire is not lit, and where I am only doing it to "get a degree" and not because I actually want to be a "social worker" per say.

• Author

So Geologists get paid a crap load and there is a high percentage of full time workers in that industry however, I am SURE you need an earth science degree PLUS a masters to become a geologist. PLUS it is not growing, but rather, declining, and there is low job openings.

Also, to become a meteorologist, which is centred in the natural and physical sciences, the pay is good but it is not rapidly growing in terms of employment, but rather has a steady rise with low job openings predicted.

Lastly, environmental science has a far more positive outcome in terms of getting a job and the income: income is above average, better than that of a dietician or occupational therapist, and it is a growing industry with an average number of jobs available.

These figures are from the Australian Government webpage, I believe it is one of the more accurate sources of job growth and employment predictions into the future for Australia.

• Author

Environmental Scientists have an above average proportion of full-time jobs (84.1 per cent). For Environmental Scientists working full-time, average weekly hours are 39.3 (compared to 41.1 for all occupations) and earnings are above average - in the eighth decile. Unemployment for Environmental Scientists is average

Agricultural and Forestry Scientists have a high proportion of full-time jobs (87.2 per cent). For Agricultural and Forestry Scientists working full-time, average weekly hours are 42.8 (compared to 41.1 for all occupations) and earnings are above average - in the eighth decile. Unemployment for Agricultural and Forestry Scientists is below average.

Other Natural and Physical Science Professionals have an above average proportion of full-time jobs (81.9 per cent). For Other Natural and Physical Science Professionals working full-time, average weekly hours are 40.2 (compared to 41.1 for all occupations) and earnings are high - in the ninth decile. Unemployment for Other Natural and Physical Science Professionals is average.

As for health sciences..

Dietitians have a relatively low proportion of full-time jobs (45.9 per cent). For Dietitians working full-time, average weekly hours are 41.1 (compared to 41.1 for all occupations) and earnings are high - in the ninth decile. Unemployment for Dietitians is average.

Occupational Therapists have a below average proportion of full-time jobs (63.5 per cent). For Occupational Therapists working full-time, average weekly hours are 36.4 (compared to 41.1 for all occupations) and earnings are above average - in the seventh decile. Unemployment for Occupational Therapists is below average.

Medical Laboratory Scientists have an average proportion of full-time jobs (73 per cent). For Medical Laboratory Scientists working full-time, average weekly hours are 39.0 (compared to 41.1 for all occupations) and earnings are above average - in the seventh decile. Unemployment for Medical Laboratory Scientists is below average.

Medical Technicians have a relatively low proportion of full-time jobs (58 per cent). For Medical Technicians working full-time, average weekly hours are 37.8 (compared to 41.1 for all occupations) and earnings are low - in the second decile. Unemployment for Medical Technicians is below average.

Science Technicians have an above average proportion of full-time jobs (79.6 per cent). For Science Technicians working full-time, average weekly hours are 36.2 (compared to 41.1 for all occupations) and earnings are below average - in the third decile. Unemployment for Science Technicians is above average.

• Author

Well I picked poditary.

It is located near where I live..other degrees are two hours away.

There are enough jobs available.

The pay is reasonable.

I looked at at all the subjects and they are all biology / anatomy / phisiology based.

Only basic physics and chemistry.

I love that it is a very specific degree too. That was the number one criteria I was looking for..... A special science based degree.

Whats more, my good friend did it. She has told me a lpt about it....new grads apparantly got jobs. It is a hard degree from year two but its not as awful as pharmecy or radiography would be in terms of the level of difficulty.

I am thrilled with my choice. And it is so close to home! Only law snd prestiege degrees are where employers actually care what university you went to.

I am told it isnt important what uni you graduate from for most degrees... Your makes and relevant work experience is what counts.

It took me a long time of very intensive research to pick this degree. It is the sort of degree I believe I would enjoy living and breathing... As I get a good taste of medical subjects enjoy, while getting to focused on a very specific area.

I tend to do best when I focus on leaning a lot in one small area.

I very much "Feel" thrilled to be an upcoming poditary student.

As in podiatrist? What exactly would the job entail? Just curious; in the states they are doctors.

• Like 2

What did the career counselor say? Didn't you have an appointment to talk to one this week?

Podiatrist is a big jump from where you were. Are you sure you want to deal with people's feet all day? I actually worked as a receptionist/secretary for a foot doctor when I was in high school and a lot of the things he had to deal with were pretty gross.

Glinda.Good

I am not able to follow you, Leigh. A few short weeks ago you shared your true passions with us. And now they have changed to … being a foot doctor?

In the years you've been posting here you have never mentioned an interest or ability in science. But today it's your grand passion?

If it's switching every day or two, IT IS A WHIM. Not a PASSION.

Honestly, I feel that you need to step back from making plans for your future for a while.

I think that you need to go to school in September and STAY YOUR COURSE.

More than any subject matter in school, you need to FIRST learn how to stick to something.

• Like 8
As in podiatrist? What exactly would the job entail? Just curious; in the states they are doctors.

Here it is a four year degree with a lot of clinical practice. I have never come across a PhD in podiatry but I am sure they are out there. It is like being a physio or a speech pathologist - so considered an allied health profession here.

I used to have an office next to the high risk foot clinic. Mostly diabetes patients.

But I am not a massive fan of feet or ankle physiology, hopefully Leigh is!

But I also find the saga a bit difficult to follow, does a week count as extensive research?

Having said that, I choose my undergraduate degree of television so I am not one to cast judgement!

• Like 1
  • Author

I have always been more Interested in science. It is my favourite area to talk about in real life, I just havent talked about it on here? But yes, I always get my teeth stuck into science based topics of discusion.

I always assumed you needed a PHD in anything science to have a proper career in science. Which is still true for general science degrees.

I always jumped into degrees without thinking. I only did the degree for the sake of having a degree. Not because I was thrilled about the actually qualification at hand.

This past month or two I have taken a different approach. I want to go for good and a do the very degree and become a professional in the very thing I would STILL choose to to. Something that matches my intellectual abilities.

If I won forty million dollars I would still obtain a degree because I will get immense satisfaction from becoming an expert in something scientific.

I have very extenively researched every Health science, medical driven degree possible. I spent days researching each degree. With social work I just assumed I would love it because I am passionate about wanting to help homeless people and animals. I thought I wasnthat sort of a personal that would be suited to social work.

This time around, I have studied the degrees I am Interested in long and hard.

I am thirsty and enthused about becoming a professional in a very specific science based field. Poditary and radiography therapy as well as occupational therapy were the degrees with which I would get to really dig my teeth into a science related degree and then get to focus on a very specific area.

From those three degrees I picked poditary ; my good friend did it there is work in the field for graduates and the starting salary is always around 50 K. It is medically driven and specific.

Note: medically driven and specific of a degree. Based on my areas of passion and natural strengths, poditary was the best fit. My good friend has told me exactly what her poditary job entails, the starting salaries for her and her follows graduates and what the actual degree entails.

I have consulted the course hand books and viewed every single course offer for e ery semester of the three year degree. Although there are difficult and sucky but of most degrees, the a actual topics at hand being studied are areas I am driven to learn about.

I am definately geared towards a technical medical / health specific degree and poditary is it. That or radiography therapy is my second choice. Occupational therapy is Third.

At the end of the day, I want the degree that, if all jobs were paid equally, I would STILLA most want to do due to wanting to BECOME that person. Now I am introverted, love science and anything medical (I can enthusiastically talk about these areas for hours) and I do well obsessing over specific technical things opposed to general topics.

The career therapist told me that I already knees more than her about the degrees on offer since I have already researched the starting salaries, predicted growth and the campus offereing it.

• Author

So I was looking for:

A medical/ science directed degree

A very specific health related science

While nothing is certain, a degree that has a good thanks record of landing grads full time work

A degree with decent pay prospects

Something different.... I dont easily run into a lot of poditarist. I wanted to do something very specific, focused on one area and that just felt like a good fit for me.

IMPORTANTANTLY: poditary is offered at my local campus. Other degrees like occupational therapy or radiography (therapy) are located two hours away, one way. My university has one maintenance campus and small part of the uni located an hour and a half south.

So it worked out well. It is close. All the other degrees would have amounted to five hours travel per day. Radiography and occupational therapy have a more saturated job market than poditary.

Plus poditarist do a specific job and liason with other Health professionals. Radiography has two degrees above it that requires high marks to gain entry into:

There is: radiography ( theraputic) which needs just 78 to get into.

Then there is radiography ( diagnostic) that asks for 88 to gain entry.

Then there is another more advanced one.

So I feel getting into the easier less in demand radiography degree would out me at the bottom of the loss of reduced. Like nutrition students who have many dietetict AND nutrition grads with higher qualifications vying for positions.

Poditary is local, medically based, specific, technical and there are enough jobs to go around.

My good friend thinks I am very well suited to it since she knows me well and did the degree herself.

I have spent literally hours upon hours researching any which degree I thought I could have an affinity for.

With the other two degrees I tried, I just went in without much thought. I was passionate about social work in terms of the good work grads get to do but I was not academically stimulated.

I want to be challenged, stimulated and to enjoy the degree and resulting career enough to want to do it purely for the process title and learned abilities. What professional job would give me the most personal satisfaction?

I know I would get a lot of fullfillmemt in solving as well as memorizing medical and scientific material. I always feel great the more I learn about science in my daily life. My academical fire is lit.

I think the confusion from posters surrounding my choices is understandable. Lets just say, I wouldnt have still chosen to become a social worker if I won lotto. Yet I WOULD still want to Become someone career wise, irrespective of how much money I won in lotto lol

I am going for good now rather than just do an " Easy" degree for the sake of having a degree.

I didnt think a masters aged student would just do what they truly wanted because it would be too difficult. Which a poditary degree is in stared but only from the second year. First year us easy and just anatomy and the like. My friday year one is easy and I could tell from the courses offered that it wouldnt be terribly trying. But from year two I can say Goodbye tonfree time lol.

I

Poditary first choice with a 71 requirement score, follows by an advanced radiography degree with an 88 entrance score, follows by..... Either occupational therapy, oral Health (hard to get into with an 89entry) snd the easier to get into radiography theraputic degree.

I have three choices. I think I stand a fairly chance of getting into poditary since it is not in demand by students with a 70 is entry requirement.

I got 92 and I got into an 88 entry level course. Social work. It was so in demand by students that the high entry requirement = fierce student competition to get jobs.

I also want something local.... And it so happen poditary was local. The only other local degree of interest is oral health.... Which requires an 89 to get in and so my 92 may not cut it, if it is in demand. And Im unsure of the job prospects with the bachelor in oral health.

Radiography is of much more Interest to me than oral Health but is offered nearly two hours away. Same goes for occupational therapy.

Location, job prospects, feedback from students and course material were all deciding factors.

• Author
I am not able to follow you, Leigh. A few short weeks ago you shared your true passions with us. And now they have changed to … being a foot doctor?

In the years you've been posting here you have never mentioned an interest or ability in science. But today it's your grand passion?

If it's switching every day or two, IT IS A WHIM. Not a PASSION.

Honestly, I feel that you need to step back from making plans for your future for a while.

I think that you need to go to school in September and STAY YOUR COURSE.

More than any subject matter in school, you need to FIRST learn how to stick to something.

I have moved back to my flat.

There is an actual university campus there which is better than online studies.

I have missed out on semester two for my local universities. I am starting in semester one of next year. Putting my offer August. Finding out in Jan.

I dont want to do online uni for the community development bachelor of arts degree. That was the one starting in September.

I want a specific science degree that is very technical.

I have since a child always been better at math and science and always got my kicks from it. I simply havent done math for over 15 years and therefore I assumed it was too late for me to re to re learn math or physics for a science degree.

Luckily, poditary contains no math courses and only very basic chemistry and physics (snd only for a year or less) and is dominated by anatomy, musculoskeletal mechanics and human biology and biomedical subjects.

In the past I went for passions that I considered easy to achieve and "safe".

I have never before considered the dream degree and career as I limited myself with the level of difficulty I was willing to overcome.

My friends and family who know me best also agreed that I am more suited to a technical and specific science based degree as I tend to be mwnjc about certain areas and can easily obsessing over small areas of interest.

I know in my heart that I would live and breath both poditary and any radiography degree. I am just that kind of person.

I find out early next year whether or not I get in and what I get into!

• Author
Here it is a four year degree with a lot of clinical practice. I have never come across a PhD in podiatry but I am sure they are out there. It is like being a physio or a speech pathologist - so considered an allied health profession here.

I used to have an office next to the high risk foot clinic. Mostly diabetes patients.

But I am not a massive fan of feet or ankle physiology, hopefully Leigh is!

But I also find the saga a bit difficult to follow, does a week count as extensive research?

Having said that, I choose my undergraduate degree of television so I am not one to cast judgement!

My good friend did it. We talk a lot about her job. I would love it. Yes all jobs get tiresome and nothing is sunshine and roses all of the time.

There are some phds of poditary. I met one. And there is an advanced poditary degree that enables you to do the operations.... That is not offered anywhere in Australia besides in Western Australia.

There is enough score to further your poditary studies, however, you certainly don't need to do post grad qualifications as a poditary degree is a salon enough stand alone degree.

I am the type to want to go for further study eventually but I would like a solid enough degree so I dont HAVE to do post grad.

You get do liason with doctors, physios, nurses and other health professionals. Your job is a stand alone job and you dont need a higher up person to dlcarry out the majority of your work except the actual surgery itself ( of which you can assist snd become qualified for if you are very driven to take another step forward career wise)

A foot expert or radiography medical imagine technician are very " me" type sounding jobs.

Even though nursing contains literally all courses of study I enjoy, I just dont get the right feeling when I think of myself as a nurse.

I really am so confused Leigh. You are now saying you enjoy math and that you are good at it yet not so long ago there was a thread on here where you were really unhappy with so many degrees requiring you to do math. Plus you say you have not done math in over 15 years. Now if my math is correct, that would have made you no more than 13 when you stopped doing math. That to me would mean you were either doing very basic math..... Or your math is not so good (:)) and you stopped doing math around 10 years ago.

• Like 5
  • Author
I really am so confused Leigh. You are now saying you enjoy math and that you are good at it yet not so long ago there was a thread on here where you were really unhappy with so many degrees requiring you to do math. Plus you say you have not done math in over 15 years. Now if my math is correct, that would have made you no more than 13 when you stopped doing math. That to me would mean you were either doing very basic math..... Or your math is not so good (:)) and you stopped doing math around 10 years ago.

I stopped math in year ten. O was about 15.

I assumed all science degrees had intensive math. I thought it was too late for me get a science degree (which I truly wanted) and go after a more easy to get degree that wouldnt require me to have to re learn math. Which would take about one year to re learn 11 and 12 math crammed into one year.

I then hate doing degrees that to me, were second best...not the ones I most felt good about getting.

I decided I was willing to put the work in to re learn math. It was worth it if it meant doing a degree that would lead to a career more to my liking in terms of the area it was geared towards (since no one can say for sure if they will end up enjoying their job)

I then got a please surprise when I looked at each individual course on offer within each degree, and discovered that there were either no math courses, or only the most basic " foundations of math" for degrees like dieteticts, radiography and the like.

Poditary has literally no math courses but it has some light math and physics contains within another course... They teaching you the math pertaining to poditary without having to teach you a widely enough breath of math to warrant its own individual course)

Basically, I am going after what I truly want even though it will be hard, opposed to picking my favourite degree from degrees that WERE NOT my first choice.

Science degrees are hard. I am nearly. 28. I havent studied math since year ten. I was scared of science degrees because I didnt think I had what it took to pass. I have no idea why I didnt believe in myself.

• Author

I was an average math student when I did no study but I did well when I studied ( got As and Bs).

Leaning math after dropping it in year 10 is quiet daunting. If poditary doesnt accept me and I instead, get into radiography then there is a basic math courses the first half of year one.

Since I have tried humanity degrees I am very sure that I would much rather re learn math since I am not below average at it fromy records, and then enjoy a career more suited to my personality, opposed to skipping math and limiting myself to degrees I merely " enjoy the subject matters" of yet am not at all enthused by ( I dont feel academically driven by social work yet I enjoyed the material. I didnt like the employmemt prospects and I would rather work in a lab or just anywhere in the science field 100 times more than I wanted to be a social worker).

I believe I can go after my dream career within reason, so obviously not medical as that is reserved for academically brilliant folks......

I have a math and physics processer willing to tutor me. He thinks I will do well in a science based degree. Just need a bit of extra assistants with math and physics However basic OT may be)

• Author

My parents are thrilled as they think I am very well suited to science based courses.

Parents have urge me to only work part time if I really want to. Second year onwards in podiatry is tough according to grads and my parents have urge me to study and focus on that only.

I think I have a great chance since, unlike most students, I dont HAVE to juggle work with full time study. I think that, and the fact I have a tutor right around the corner from me, is pretty sweet. The tutor said he would reduced rates since he doesnt have to travel for to me and it is only basics I need taught to me.

• Author

Please I only want support advice.

I have a real shot at doing well and attaining good marks, and going on to a reasonably fulfilling sciences based profession.

I have spent this entire year researching degrees and career paths. Yes it is confusing to ready but I have truly either tried first handedly a couple of degrees, or I have gone and done intensive research which Included me asking people in the field exactly what their jobs entailed.

I am not walking into this degree blindly. I have read the description of every course provided in SEVERAL degrees. There will be no surprises in terms of what to expect.

Stay positive or alternatively, give the pros and cons of poditary opposed to a degree yiubfeel I would be better suited to and has better prospects.

Keep this thread about degree suggestions or on positive remarks.. I worked hard in high school and am proud that I can now pick a degree exactly to my liking. Even if it means hard work and re leaning things.

Before this year I was not willing to work hard for a degree. That line of thought has since shifted.

Please I only want support advice.

I have a real shot at doing well and attaining good marks, and going on to a reasonably fulfilling sciences based profession.

I have spent this entire year researching degrees and career paths. Yes it is confusing to ready but I have truly either tried first handedly a couple of degrees, or I have gone and done intensive research which Included me asking people in the field exactly what their jobs entailed.

I am not walking into this degree blindly. I have read the description of every course provided in SEVERAL degrees. There will be no surprises in terms of what to expect.

Stay positive or alternatively, give the pros and cons of poditary opposed to a degree yiubfeel I would be better suited to and has better prospects.

Keep this thread about degree suggestions or on positive remarks.. I worked hard in high school and am proud that I can now pick a degree exactly to my liking. Even if it means hard work and re leaning things.

Before this year I was not willing to work hard for a degree. That line of thought has since shifted.

You've kinda tied our hands here, haven't you?

Help me, but only give me positive advice. Either support this choice, or suggest something better.

Nobody on here knows you anywhere near as well as you do, so it's really up to you. I would suggest that you be clear that it doesn't seem like you are looking at a degree that will make you an "expert in a scientific field" - at least as I think of it - but rather one that will train you to be a medical technician in a specific field of treatment.

And if that works for you, then fantastic! I would suggest that you spend some time thinking what your life will be like after you graduate and enter your proposed field.

It's not about what we think of podiatry - our validation won't help you in the least two years from now when you're in the middle of a course of study that you've committed to. And it's not even how easy or hard that degree might be for you, which we can't know anyway.

What it's about is what happens after? Will you be happy in a career that this degree qualifies you to be in? As others have pointed out a "Podiatrist" is a full doctor, so I have to imagine that a Bachelors degree would qualify you to be basically a therapist (like a Respiratory Therapist) who delivers treatment under the direction of a doctor, or a technician (like a Radiographic Technician), again, working with patients, but under the direction of doctors. Please correct me if I'm not correct - I hope you have studied this issue carefully, and you probably already know much more about it than I do.

The important thing - which we can't give you - is that you have a clear an honest view of what this career looks like. Not just how many math courses you can take or avoid, and what the job and salary prospects are (which may be important, I'm not knocking that) but ultimately, is this a career that you want to be in?

You talk about your passion to do something in science, but you speak of it very broadly. Now that you have settled on a proposed path, do you think this path will satisfy that passion?

We can slap you on the back and throw out "you go girl!", but you're the only one who can look yourself in the mirror and answer those questions.

• Author

I am undecided between a bachelor of poditary, a three year degree, or a bachelor of medical radiation science (radiation therapy) degree, also three years.

I am leaning more towards poditary. Since it is offered locally, I am Included towards that.

I have read a great deal about both fields. I am not going to read about what a day in the life of a poditarist is version that of a radiation therapy grad.

A problem with radiation therapy is that there is a " higher regarded " degree that is idenitical but it contains four years rather than three years. Hence twice as many student grads.

Radiation, diagnostic = a four year degree in which you need a mark of 92.3. My mark is APPROXIMATELY 92.3. Literally.

Radiation therapy = a three year degree with a much loser required mark to gain entry into. Albeit still a little higher to get into than poditary.

I think, while just as fascinating as poditary, radiation therapy will be too saturated for me. Poditary still seems less saturated in terms of student interest.

• Author

I enjoy discusion a widely range within the science arena. However, I want to study one very specific branch of medical science.

Both poditary and medical radiation therapy or diagnostic degrees would allow me to indulge in nice and specific areas of study.

When I " say" or " think" poditary radiation therapy, I light up and it feels right to me, based on my entire life of study and where my strengths and weeknesses lie. And also what personaly drives me.

I have read a great deal about both fields. I am not going to read about what a day in the life of a poditarist is version that of a radiation therapy grad.

Good gravy - isn't that exactly what you should be basing your decision upon? Those "days in the life" are going to be your life, if you commit to one of these courses of study and stick with the hard work for several years to get there.

In a sense, I think you're focusing almost too much on the mechanical details that are right in front of you, at the expense of the big picture: what do you want your life to look like in the long run?

I enjoy discusion a widely range within the science arena. However, I want to study one very specific branch of medical science.

Both poditary and medical radiation therapy or diagnostic degrees would allow me to indulge in nice and specific areas of study.

When I " say" or " think" poditary radiation therapy, I light up and it feels right to me, based on my entire life of study and where my strengths and weeknesses lie. And also what personaly drives me.

Well, those sound like good, big picture types of considerations, so that's good. And does the patient care aspect of it attract you as well? Because in medicine, especially, you can either go in the treatment/patient care direction (which is very interactive and people-based, of course) or you can go more in the research/lab direction. It sounds like you are more in the direction of patient care and treatment, yes?

Leigh I think you should give it a go and see how you find it.

But podiatry has 1000 hours of clinical practice so just make sure with any part time job you have the flexibility to get time off as you may not be placed locally.

I can provide a few comments on your other choices - Diagnostic Radiography and Radiation Therapy as my undergraduate degree is medical radiation science - but form Sydney rather than Newcastle.

Both these degrees run pretty much the same in first year. The semester of maths is common to many degrees including OT and physio and it is the equivalent of year 12 4 unit maths condensed into one semester. So I would recommend a maths bridging course as there is an expectation of knowledge beyond "basic" maths. There is a fair bit on integration and differentiation so you need solid algebra skills.

Radiography has the equivalent of year 12 physics in the first semester and then moves into instrumentation for the rest of the course.

Radiation therapy has three years of physics. You need to like and be good at physics (and some maths) for this course. You will do physics every semester. Just to reiterate, lots of physics including labs and simulations.

Just so you know what to expect :)

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks.

I heard that physics for radiation therapy is minimal, only the equivalent to year 12 physics plus a bit of a kick.

Anyway, I think poditary fits my bill more as I LOVE the patient care aspect of the medical profession.

Plus poditary is located nearby and you do not have to be good at physics to do it.

I have looked at the day to day goings on of a poditarist and the daily workload and routine is attractive to me. I can see myself enjoying it.

I can also, after ten or so years as a poditary, see myself wanting to advance my career and branch out u to perhaps performing operations on patients. In WA there is a school of poditary which teaches you and qualifies you at a much higher level and authorises you to actually perform the surgery or at least assist surgery more intensively.

So while I really like the description of the day to day life of a poditarist, I also like that there are ways to advance your career. I would like to assist surgeries Asap after graduating so will just work very hard and impress.

My poditarist friend and her class mates had to experiment with needles used for the operations. They each had to inject each other with massive needles that put there feet completely asleep.

My friends partner hit a nerve and bone when they administered the needle. I am not looking forward to that part of the course. Maybe I can be " sick " that day.

Thanks.

I heard that physics for radiation therapy is minimal, only the equivalent to year 12 physics plus a bit of a kick.

I have no idea who would say that and I would genuinely question their knowledge of the course or the job. With increasingly complex procedures the maths and physics requirements are increasing. I never had much to do with multiple material attenuation coefficients there 3D photon beam modelling in year 12 physics but I had lots to do with them at uni and at work.

The criticism of Newcastle grads (MRS and medicine mostly) is that they lack the hard knowledge and skills of the basic sciences required as a graduate due to the problem based learning methodology that they use in health sciences.

You can be sick that.... and probably not pass the course :) We all had to learn to take blood. No pass, no degree. Bam! They get you somehow.