Today is my birthday and honestly it's not worth celebrating. I am very very depressed. I have made some bad choices in life and can't seem to build up my self-esteem again. Everyone around me is making nice gestures because of my b-day I am appreciative but I am having a hard time pretending to be happy. I really don't feel like I should be celebrating being alive. I am not looking for sympathy but I could use some advice on how to rebuild a self esteem?? I am currently trying motivational Cd's and books but they only seem to work temporarily. I tried counseling but that has not helped either. Does anyone have any suggestions?

First, Happy Birthday Joyce;)

Secondly, If you've tried counseling and other self help avenue's and they have not helped, then you really need to seek medical attention Joyce.

You may have a chemical imbalance that can be treated with medication.

• Author

Thanks for replying. I was hoping to avoid medication but I guess if it is a chemical imbalance that would be the only way to fix it. I thought my therapist would have suggested that maybe I will make another appointment and ask about it.

Happy Birthday!!!! Listen, I know how you feel. Wellibutrin finally helped me out. But mainly, the quote that I carry in my posts says it for me.

We've all made bad choices in our life Joyce......there isn't much you can do about them now. Today is the first day of the rest of your life.......use those bad choices as learning experiences and get on with life.....you've got a lot to do!!!

Joyce you're welcome;)

There are a lot of folks who need medication Joyce to even out thier levels and make them okay, and there isn't anything wrong with that.

Don't continue to suffer in silence... seek medical advice Joyce there isn't any shame in it, and as Moose say's, you really do have a lot of livin to do!

Take care of yourself Joyce

happy birthday, Joyce, I hope this day gets better and you find the one bright spot in your day today. :cool:

don't dismiss the idea of medication to help control your funks or depression -- a while back, moimeme posted an excellent link about how if your body chemistry is out of whack, your body responds by going into depressive or manic states, and medication can restore it to its normal levels. Sorta like how you've got to keep the fluids topped in your car so that the engine works properly.

like Moose, I'm taking Wellbutrin to help bring my blood chemicals back into balance. I don't think I've hit full-out depression, but I have gotten into some pretty bad funks this past year and the medication really has made a difference.

I'll look for the link to moi's post, it really puts chemical imbalances into perspective.

Happy Birthday!:) Yours is just a few days after mine.

I agree with the other posts. If nothing else seems to be working, medication may be the answer. It really does help.:)

#1) Try God! If you're religious, get involved in church.

#2) Thank your lucky heavens you're having another birthday - it sure beats the alternative!

#3) Happy birfday to you!