Improve my communication skills

curiousGeorge2

I am not sure if this is the proper place to ask this, or this has been discussed before.

In any case, I found it difficult to communicate with others. Many of my friends, former classmates, and coworkers all indicated that they wish that I had better communication skills. From my end, I can hardly read what people (especially women) are thinking, though I often make it up by logical reasoning but it has its limits, and find it even more difficult to express my feelings.

Just wonder about those who were in similar situations but have improved from there, how did you manage to improve your communication skills? Any books to read?

There are many carpentry books out there and yet these books have no applicable purpose until somebody actually lifts a hand to attempt a technique...

Communication can be learned like any other skill. But at some point you need to put yourself out there to practice. The best way to practice is to put yourself in social situations and have a few conversations.

Sometimes there are workshops. A commercial company called Dale Carnegie offers seminars. There's a wonderful group called ToastMasters you can join.

AmberWalander

Hi George! I was like that too when I was still at University. The best way to improve your communication skills is to practice, practice, practice. Try talking with the one who sat beside you on your way to and from home. Talk in front of the mirror and record your voice. Ask your friend to help you polish your communication skills by asking him to be your communication partner. You can try taking a course on good communication skills too.

Whatever way you choose, knowledge is power. Read a lot and keep yourself updated so that by having the confidence of knowing what you are talking about, you can communicate fluently.

one of the quickest ways if by creative writing and basically to start writing...don't resist whatever comes out of your brain, don't think about it, just write, write on a paper, you computer screen, don't worry about mispelling or anything that happens to drift accross randomly, and doing will create new ideas that spur creativity and how you actuall feel about certain things, like doing a first draft and not caring what anyone else says because they don't have to read it...if you want to speak better find someone or a pet and just starting talking to them randomly about something, don't resist what you are saying, allow your subconcious to flow and happen naturally, don't think..if you have to think about doing this thinking about breathing instead and just go with it.