Laser Hair Removal: Does the hair grow back after pregnancy?

nomadic_butterfly

Ok, so I'm want to do laser hair removal pretty much on everything from the neck down in a few months. I've been researching it and some people say hormonal fluctuations associated with pregnancy often makes the hair grow back.

My ex bf's sis did it like 8yrs ago and has had 3 kids and hers hasn't grown back. She was kind of hairy lol. I am not a very hairy girl, it's pretty fine/light in most places (I'm about Kerry Washington's complexion) and it's brown like my skin. I barely have any at all on my legs. I've done fraxel laser before for other stuff and my skin responded well to it so I'm not afraid of it as a person of color and think I will respond well.

Have you or anyone you know done laser hair removal? How was it after pregnancy?

I am NOT planning on being pregnant any time soon, but I'd be pretty annoyed if I spend all this money on laser hair removal only to have it all come back should I pop out a few kids in the VERY DISTANT future lol. This is a serious investment. If it will come back I'd rather save up for electrolysis treatments because they are guaranteed unless the

Although pregnancy promotes hair growth, successful lasering destroys the hair follicle. I don't believe your body can create new follicles. Any stray hairs that were missed may grow more due to hormonal changes however.

I've had a lot of laser work; it's awesome. My bigger concern would be about the effectiveness of it on your fine/light hair. The best candidate for laser is dark hair on light skin. The darker the hair, the better it absorbs the laser's energy (I swear I could feel those babies frying!) I have stray pubic grays that the laser just wasn't going to kill.

Hopefully you can find a place that will be upfront and honest about whether you're a good candidate. What areas of the body are you most concerned about?

• Author
nomadic_butterfly
Although pregnancy promotes hair growth, successful lasering destroys the hair follicle. I don't believe your body can create new follicles. Any stray hairs that were missed may grow more due to hormonal changes however.

I've had a lot of laser work; it's awesome. My bigger concern would be about the effectiveness of it on your fine/light hair. The best candidate for laser is dark hair on light skin. The darker the hair, the better it absorbs the laser's energy (I swear I could feel those babies frying!) I have stray pubic grays that the laser just wasn't going to kill.

Hopefully you can find a place that will be upfront and honest about whether you're a good candidate. What areas of the body are you most concerned about?

Ok, yea when I said light, I meant my brown like skin complexion, rather than dark brown like my head, pubes, underarms; not like blonde or anything. I know laser is trickier on African American skin but my skin was very responsive to other procedures and I am more of a medium shade (Aisha Tyler, Kerry Washington, Keri Hilson) , rather than a darker one (like Whoopi or Wesley Snipes). Hopefully the fact that the hair on my legs are so sparse (haven't had to shave it in a few years; my mom's legs are completely hairless) will be a bit advantageous.

I need to get on this ASAP. I had a few stray grays down under too LOL, but no where else (touch wood). Very ironic. Thanks for the input!