I'm a long-term sufferer of depression. I have struggled with it since I was a teenager. I had hopes that anti-depressants might help but most have had side effects that have made me ill in one way or another. I've given up on these now but there is no hope of any other treatment that works.

I've had counselling and that helped while it lasted but I soon sunk back down again. I have talents and I know I could have achieved something with my life, if it hadn't been for this damned depression that steals my energy and makes everything feel pointless and such hard work. I feel my life has been wasted.

It has dawned on me now that it's not going to get better, that I'm stuck with this for life, yet it's only half a life. I go to work, work hard, I'm worn out afterwards and can't face a social life. It's a pointless existence. Every so often, I make an effort and go out, spend a bit of time with people, but then I run out of energy again.

I'm always looking for new ideas for things can might help. I've had vitamin supplements (tons), change of diet, counselling, meds, read loads of self-help books. Nothing works and the future looks bleak. People don't realise what it's like to live like this. If anyone has any new ideas about what might get rid of depression, I'd love to hear them.

I think your part of the way there already, you've realized it's not going to go away any time soon.

It's all about learning to live with it now.

I've suffered depression since I was 5yrs old! I remember lining up all the bottles with the poison symbols on them and wanting to drink them at that age.

My parents sent me to counsellers, I sent myself as I got older. My friends/bf's over the years have called me crazy.

I deal with it much better now days (I'm 42 now). I saw a very good CBT for a while a few years ago, who taught me to deal with things individually (I'd been overwhelmed with problems) and look at things differently.

This had a huge impact on me.

I know I'll always suffer at times, but now when I do, I refuse to let it rob my life.

Have faith...that the bad times will always pass.

• Author

I really appreciate your reply, but I feel I can't live with it. It's no sort of life. It's such a waste. I'm physically oversensitive. Everything feels uncomfortable or painful to me. I can't see the point in working only to fund an uncomfortable, miserable life. I don't enjoy life. I'd be happy if I didn't wake up tomorrow.

• Like 1
AShogunNamedMarcus

I was diagnosed with severe clinical depression. It's a bullsh*t diagnosis, IMO.

Depression is a response.

I'm going to guess you have a personality disorder(s). I do.

Talk therapy is useless. It will only waste your time and try your patience.

Look into CBT. I was thinking about it but I'm too f*cking pissed right now. CBT can suck it.

Get your hormones checked. You could be going through menopause or peri menopause and progesterone cream and/or an estradiol patch might be all you need.

Omega 3,6,9 oils

Exercise incl yoga

Mindfulness

Reiki/sound baths

LLLT light therapy

All worth giving a try, depends how open are you are to try these new things but helped me, a lot.

I'm a long-term sufferer of depression. I have struggled with it since I was a teenager. I had hopes that anti-depressants might help but most have had side effects that have made me ill in one way or another. I've given up on these now but there is no hope of any other treatment that works.

I've had counselling and that helped while it lasted but I soon sunk back down again. I have talents and I know I could have achieved something with my life, if it hadn't been for this damned depression that steals my energy and makes everything feel pointless and such hard work. I feel my life has been wasted.

It has dawned on me now that it's not going to get better, that I'm stuck with this for life, yet it's only half a life. I go to work, work hard, I'm worn out afterwards and can't face a social life. It's a pointless existence. Every so often, I make an effort and go out, spend a bit of time with people, but then I run out of energy again.

I'm always looking for new ideas for things can might help. I've had vitamin supplements (tons), change of diet, counselling, meds, read loads of self-help books. Nothing works and the future looks bleak. People don't realise what it's like to live like this. If anyone has any new ideas about what might get rid of depression, I'd love to hear them.

Hi

I too have dealt with depression for many years. What helped me is believe it or not

is singing about negative feelings or by some songs you like. Yogic breathing and yoga have helped. Forget self help books write your own. It is tough getting dates

Better to get a non addictive sleep medication so you can sleep better.

Take care Dave S.

• Author

Thanks for all your replies. I have to say I've tried the omega oils and it didn't seem to do anything. I've had anti-depressants for years, on and off. I've taken them for a few weeks and also periods of years. One had a dangerous side effects, others have had unpleasant side effects.

I've tried Yoga but find it boring. The trouble with depression, as you know, is that it makes life boring. Nothing seems worth any effort and physically I'm worn out without doing much. I've tried exercise but get faint easily. I haven't tried light therapy because it's expensive. CBT is a way of looking at things and changing one's view of them but mood is the problem.

All the above can help a bit but nothing takes away this constant battle of trying to avoid sinking further.

• Like 1
Under The Radar

Helping other people has always been a source of combating depression for me. When I know I made a difference in someone else's life it serves to dilute depression and I'm happier as a result.

• Like 2

Forgive me but you asked for suggestions and have shot them all down. Sure it's not easy, I've suffered depression, still am in fact but you can either push yourself a little and feel better or sit & wallow.

Personally the first is better option.

Yoga isn't boring but even if it is, are you saying it's more boring than sitting in wallowing & feeling depressed? Or do you think that perhaps you might feel a little better & that then spirals to feeling better because your doing something to help yourself?

If, like you say you cannot do hard exercise then more slower & gentle surely is the way forward so yoga, swimming, Pilates, walking. All forms of gentle exercise. Proven fact that exercise is best known cure for depression, google it you'll see.

Too bad we dont live close by, cause I feel what you need is a friend. Someone to just do things with and can help you out of this sadness. Cause I have been trying so much stuff. Even meds. Today I am in no mood and thinking of going to work just makes me feel more tired.

The problem with depression is that it saps your energy, takes away your mood and leave you down on the ground. Doesnt allow you to see the good in your life. It makes me feel cold.

Maybe you can try joining a support group. I tried. Or church. Joining a class. Somewhere were people are. I just wish it would work for me.

• Like 2
  • Author
Forgive me but you asked for suggestions and have shot them all down. Sure it's not easy, I've suffered depression, still am in fact but you can either push yourself a little and feel better or sit & wallow.

Personally the first is better option.

Yoga isn't boring but even if it is, are you saying it's more boring than sitting in wallowing & feeling depressed? Or do you think that perhaps you might feel a little better & that then spirals to feeling better because your doing something to help yourself?

If, like you say you cannot do hard exercise then more slower & gentle surely is the way forward so yoga, swimming, Pilates, walking. All forms of gentle exercise. Proven fact that exercise is best known cure for depression, google it you'll see.

Sorry, I wasn't intending to shoot anyone down. I've reached a point where I've tried so many things and nothing has worked. I have a fatiguing illness which makes exercise difficult, basically I have no energy beyond just coping with essential tasks. I have made plenty of effort, my life has been an effort in trying to cope and find ways of improving this, but nothing works. I was hoping someone might have a new idea, something revolutionary. The 'tried and tested' methods that have supposedly worked for others haven't for me.

• Author
Too bad we dont live close by, cause I feel what you need is a friend. Someone to just do things with and can help you out of this sadness. Cause I have been trying so much stuff. Even meds. Today I am in no mood and thinking of going to work just makes me feel more tired.

The problem with depression is that it saps your energy, takes away your mood and leave you down on the ground. Doesnt allow you to see the good in your life. It makes me feel cold.

Maybe you can try joining a support group. I tried. Or church. Joining a class. Somewhere were people are. I just wish it would work for me.

That's very sweet of you Mario. It does help if someone understands. That is exactly the way it affects me. Forcing myself to do things, take exercise, etc., doesn't help. I cycled to work every day for several years, 4 miles there and four miles back. I should have felt great. Instead, I ached and felt drained and worn out all the time.

• Like 1

I am one of them who was a sufferer of depression. Now I feel better and working hard as well. I got the way how to get rid from this situation. Now I am very much satisfied about my life and hope.

That's very sweet of you Mario. It does help if someone understands. That is exactly the way it affects me. Forcing myself to do things, take exercise, etc., doesn't help. I cycled to work every day for several years, 4 miles there and four miles back. I should have felt great. Instead, I ached and felt drained and worn out all the time.

Forcing yourself is at least something positive. If you find some revolutionary method, tell me.

You know what makes me feel good, sometimes. Just watching a movie, one that I know I have seen but at least will make me feel good even for a little bit, a distraction.

My psyche says that its our thoughts that cause this, and its within our power to change them. I know this, yet I dont know how, I react to everything with negativity. I try to tell myself, patience, acceptance, compasion and peace.

Thats all I got.

• Like 1
  • Author

Well, I really hope you feel better soon Mario. I hope we all do, that there is some new breakthrough in this field. It's sorely needed.

Well, I really hope you feel better soon Mario. I hope we all do, that there is some new breakthrough in this field. It's sorely needed.

Sorely indeed. Im on a med called Luvox. I hope it helps. Will update once a month has gone by.

Have you asked your doctor to test you for other illnesses that have similar symptoms?

I mean if you've tried everything there is and nothing worked, maybe it's not depression…

Thanks for all your replies. I have to say I've tried the omega oils and it didn't seem to do anything. I've had anti-depressants for years, on and off. I've taken them for a few weeks and also periods of years. One had a dangerous side effects, others have had unpleasant side effects.

I've tried Yoga but find it boring. The trouble with depression, as you know, is that it makes life boring. Nothing seems worth any effort and physically I'm worn out without doing much. I've tried exercise but get faint easily. I haven't tried light therapy because it's expensive. CBT is a way of looking at things and changing one's view of them but mood is the problem.

All the above can help a bit but nothing takes away this constant battle of trying to avoid sinking further.

Have you ever been diagnosed with any kind of digestive disorder that could impair your ability to absorb vitamins and nutrients?

I guess I ask because you sound a lot like me until I started getting B vitamin shots. I have gluten intolerance and ended up getting pretty badly depleted, I think I lost most of my ability absorb B vitamins and much of my ability to absorb other nutrients. I can fight through and work through all the physical symptoms pretty much.

But get me in that B vitamin depression and nothing is worth doing. Nothing is worth trying and I can't make my mind see it any other way no matter how hard I tried.

Have you ever been diagnosed with any kind of digestive disorder that could impair your ability to absorb vitamins and nutrients?

I guess I ask because you sound a lot like me until I started getting B vitamin shots. I have gluten intolerance and ended up getting pretty badly depleted, I think I lost most of my ability absorb B vitamins and much of my ability to absorb other nutrients. I can fight through and work through all the physical symptoms pretty much.

But get me in that B vitamin depression and nothing is worth doing. Nothing is worth trying and I can't make my mind see it any other way no matter how hard I tried.

Sorry, I wasn't intending to shoot anyone down. I've reached a point where I've tried so many things and nothing has worked. I have a fatiguing illness which makes exercise difficult, basically I have no energy beyond just coping with essential tasks. I have made plenty of effort, my life has been an effort in trying to cope and find ways of improving this, but nothing works. I was hoping someone might have a new idea, something revolutionary. The 'tried and tested' methods that have supposedly worked for others haven't for me.

As I've said exercise is tried & tested, maybe your choice of cycling isn't the best choice for you if it makes you feel that way. So try something else.

I think it's about your mind set, either you wish to beat this & are willing to try anything & everything or you give up. I've always been a fighter and open minded to try anything. Even reiki & sound bath, just to feel better.

BlessYourCottonSocks

The thing about depression is there usually isn't anything to necessarily "fix" or become more aware of and work on healing as it didn't stem from anywhere. It's different then experiencing depression from a breakup, loss of loved one, money issues, family/friend issues etc. Depression usually comes on for no reason at all. You're life could be exceptional and you could have depression.

It's a chemical imbalance. Which makes it even more difficult to just change.

Since I was very young, my doctor told me I had a chemical imbalance. I was always the kid that was quite and introverted, suffered with eating disorders most of my life and just always felt suicidal. I often dream of my death as if a normal person were dreaming of their life to come.

I've tried Zoloft, Viibryd, Celexa, Lexapro and then pretty much gave up after that. I hated how they made me feel: lethargic, sick and out of my frickin mind.

To make matters worse, with depression you are more aware of life's subtle pitfalls. Any little stress can magnify the depression you already have, causing you to handle it in a different way than a normal person would without depression.

The sad thing is it's really hard to see the light when you are beneath rock bottom.

Sometimes it's just nice to know that you aren't the only one. Ever think about going to an animal shelter and volunteering? Or a senior home to volunteer? Or maybe a cancer ward?

Usually when someone is depressed, everything is hopeless so even mentioning ways to cope and heal are worthless. It's a sad reality. As someone who is on/off with depression, I understand the brutality of it. It's a completely helpless disease.

Just know you aren't the only one.

• Like 1

I have something to say about medication…

I hear a lot of people say that medication leaves them feeling 'differently' (I'm using this term generally because everyone has their own little adjective here.

It's true that anti depressants affect your mood. It numbs the 'lows associated with depression but it also numbs the super happy feeling. So a lot of people stop taking their meds because of this.

However, what people don't realize is that taking anti-depressants doesn't have to be forever. You can take anti-depressants for a year, a year and a half while you are fixing your lifestyle to help with the depression and one you've found a healthy balance, you just gradually stop the meds and can control the depression in a more natural way.

Sure you are a little numb for a year or two but it beats being depressed for 10+ years…

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks for your thoughtful replies. I do agree that antidepressants can help some people over a bad patch. When the bad patch is most of your life though, it's a different story.

To say it's a mind set implies a person has a choice about how they feel. If someone has spent a lifetime trying to change their own mind to be more positive and trying things to help, it's not fair to imply they are not really trying.

Thanks for the link Mario, I will look at that.

I know I'm not alone, but I'm sorry for anyone who has to live like this.