Anxiety/depression meds

Anyone have any experiences with different medications for anxiety (mainly) and some depression? what is the best out there that will NOT cause weight gain?

I don't know, but if you drink any caffeinated beverages, I would try eliminating them first, then if there is no success with that, then stick with the meds. Caffeine can really, really magnify anxiety. The reason we don't think it can, is because caffeine is so acceptable in our society. It is no big deal when we see a person buying a cup of coffee. Good luck with your anxiety, as it can be a real pain in the neck.

• Like 1

There are lots of meds out there that can help with depression and anxiety. The problem is that side effects vary from person to person.

I take Wellbutrin (Bupropion), although on a hiatus on it for the moment- I've taken it twice in my life, it's eliminated my anxiety, lifted my mood- and I lose weight. Other people on the same med sometimes gain weight.

Many meds will also increase depression and anxiety in the first little bit, until you settle in.

The best thing to do is to talk to your Dr, discuss your needs and concerns, and figure out a plan of action.

A psychiatrist would be able to give you informed opinions on almost any medication. You could also ask a pharmacist, ask on an online discussion forum, or ask people in a peer support group.

The Benzodiazepine family of drugs is very commonly used to treat anxiety, and they cause little or no weight gain. Some antidepressants are notorious for weight gain, and a few even help lose a little weight. But note that there's a wide variance in peoples' individual experiences.

I don't know, but if you drink any caffeinated beverages, I would try eliminating them first, then if there is no success with that, then stick with the meds. Caffeine can really, really magnify anxiety. The reason we don't think it can, is because caffeine is so acceptable in our society. It is no big deal when we see a person buying a cup of coffee. Good luck with your anxiety, as it can be a real pain in the neck.

yes yes yes, you're so right.

I'm on lexapro for depression and anxiety, never knowing cafeine was the cause for my anxiety.

i used to drink atleast 5 cups a day, quitting cold turkey with the meds combined caused my anxiety to GO AWAY.

i had anxiety where my stomach would do 360's every few seconds, this alone was very depressing and painful.

anyways, im on lexapro for 3 months now, havent gained nor lost weight. but ive always been stable as in weight. so idk, ive heard people lose and gain weight from this med.

good luck