LostGirl11

My doctor gave me 14 tablets of Diazepam for my anxiety attacks then saw me again and put me on Propranolol. Today has been pretty bad, I've had two attacks and I've got that horrible knot feeling in my stomach again. The Propranolol done absolutely nothing. Didn't help at all! They're used to slow down the heart rate, yeah right! My heart was pounding so much I thought I was going to take off.

I have an appointment tomorrow, she's the kind of doctor that doesn't like giving out medication and makes you feel like some kind of druggy :( But I can't handle this anxiety! People tell me that YOU tell the doctor, don't let the doctor tell you, but I don't know, I guess I'm not very vocal. Feel like utter crap and dreading tomorrow...

I remember having panic attacks in my teens. But only a hand full. It was horrible. I had no idea where they came from. I didn't see a doctor. Diazepam does quite a good job. Many armies use it to counter heart rate effects of medication used to prepare for attacks with chemical weapons. Did diazepam not work? Good luck!

Have you had any sort of blood tests or blood pressure tests? Maybe you are hyperthyroid.

Cut down on the caffeine -- cola, tea, coffee, chocolate.

Maleficent

You poor thing. I had one huge panic attack once and it scared the hell out of everyone in the house.

*hugs*

Has your doctor explained to you what is happening in your body when you're having a panic attack? I mean the physiology of a panic attack? It helped me understand one very important thing about panic attacks - I will be okay! Let me know if you want me to explain it to you. :)

And Fitchick, I know you are really just trying to be nice. I'm sure her doctor already ruled out all other options and quite frankly - the last thing she needs right now is one more person implying that what she is going through isn't real.

No offense...

• Like 2
  • Author
LostGirl11
You poor thing. I had one huge panic attack once and it scared the hell out of everyone in the house.

*hugs*

Has your doctor explained to you what is happening in your body when you're having a panic attack? I mean the physiology of a panic attack? It helped me understand one very important thing about panic attacks - I will be okay! Let me know if you want me to explain it to you. :)

And Fitchick, I know you are really just trying to be nice. I'm sure her doctor already ruled out all other options and quite frankly - the last thing she needs right now is one more person implying that what she is going through isn't real.

No offense...

They're happening every single day now. And nope, my doctor didn't explain a thing.

Yeah, I've had loads of blood tests, everything seems to be normal....

Feel free to explain :)

No offense...

Not all doctors know what they are doing and many try to save money if they work for HMOs.

How much tea, cola, coffee, chocolate, energy drinks do you take, OP? The side effects from those are very real, not imaginary.

My doctor gave me 14 tablets of Diazepam for my anxiety attacks then saw me again and put me on Propranolol.

Did you ever use the Diazepam? Did it yield the desired results? Did your doctor explain to you why he changed the medication?

Diazepam and Propranololm are completely different types of medication. The first is used to treat panic attacks, as a sleeping pill and to treat other psychiatric symptoms. The latter is a beta blocker and used to lower blood pressure. I'd find out why your doctor is treating high blood pressure because in one of your posts you say that you did blood tests and that the results are ok. What's your actual diagnose? Usually your doctor should inform you about it. Maybe you can find it also on the recipe if you got one.

• Author
LostGirl11
Diazepam and Propranololm are completely different types of medication. The first is used to treat panic attacks, as a sleeping pill and to treat other psychiatric symptoms. The latter is a beta blocker and used to lower blood pressure. I'd find out why your doctor is treating high blood pressure because in one of your posts you say that you did blood tests and that the results are ok. What's your actual diagnose? Usually your doctor should inform you about it. Maybe you can find it also on the recipe if you got one.

She took me off the Diazepam because she doesn't like giving them out and doesn't want me becoming dependant on them. Yeah, it's a beta blocker but is used to treat many conditions including anxiety/worry, it slows down the heart rate. They're crap.

Edited by LostGirl11
pink_sugar
Have you had any sort of blood tests or blood pressure tests? Maybe you are hyperthyroid.

Cut down on the caffeine -- cola, tea, coffee, chocolate.

I think I have this problem. My anxiety peaks when I drink coffee....

People with anxiety take shallow breaths. Found this website with natural ways to combat anxiety, including breathing but also diet and exercise and other techniques. I've bookmarked it for future reference just in case.

They're happening every single day now. And nope, my doctor didn't explain a thing.

Yeah, I've had loads of blood tests, everything seems to be normal....

Feel free to explain :)

Alright.

Essentially, a panic attack is your brain reacting just like you had met a bear in the woods. Your sympathetic nervous system is fired up and telling you to be ready to defend your self - or get the hell outta there. It's called the fight or flight response.

It has kept human beings alive for thousands of years...

Thing is in your case, your sympathetic nervous system gets fired up for no reason at first.

The best thing I can suggest is take your medication and go to a therapist.

And I'm sorry to say anxiety stays forever. You only learn to control it with time.

I'm sorry I don't have better news...Be strong!

xo

Not all doctors know what they are doing and many try to save money if they work for HMOs.

How much tea, cola, coffee, chocolate, energy drinks do you take, OP? The side effects from those are very real, not imaginary.

I get that.

But I think it's pretty clear her anxiety attacks don't come from eating chocolate ...

Like I said, I know you're just trying to help...but you are telling her what people don't know what it's like are.

And from experience - it's not things you want to hear.

Just sayin'

• Like 1

But I think it's pretty clear her anxiety attacks don't come from eating chocolate ... I know you're just trying to help...but you are telling her what people don't know what it's like are.

Did she say she eliminated all caffeine sources from her diet? I must have missed that post. Very common reaction these days with all the Starbucks.

Some things are within your control and anxiety is Nature's way of saying "You need to change something." I recommend getting out of situations that cause anxiety, like a bad marriage, a bad job, a bad neighborhood.

No, you don't have anxiety "forever." That's what BigPharma wants you to believe so they can keep making money. I used to have it when I was unemployed for a long period and in debt. Normal reaction to that situation! I also got a guided meditation/relaxation CD which I did when I felt overwhelmed. Never took pills. Couldn't afford a doctor so I was forced to find alternative means, thank God.

People are too eager to label and pigeon-hole these days and if someone doesn't want to be labeled, they are shamed for it and handed a pill to shut them up.

Did she say she eliminated all caffeine sources from her diet? I must have missed that post. Very common reaction these days with all the Starbucks.

Some things are within your control and anxiety is Nature's way of saying "You need to change something." I recommend getting out of situations that cause anxiety, like a bad marriage, a bad job, a bad neighborhood.

No, you don't have anxiety "forever." That's what BigPharma wants you to believe so they can keep making money. I used to have it when I was unemployed for a long period and in debt. Normal reaction to that situation! I also got a guided meditation/relaxation CD which I did when I felt overwhelmed. Never took pills. Couldn't afford a doctor so I was forced to find alternative means, thank God.

People are too eager to label and pigeon-hole these days and if someone doesn't want to be labeled, they are shamed for it and handed a pill to shut them up.

People are also really quick to say «that's what pharmaceutical companies want you to believe»

People are also quick to diagnose themselves with a mental illness they were able to «treat» themselves.

There is a hug difference between being overwhelmed by too many thing happening at once and having a diagnosed mental illness.

For someone with an anxiety disorder, not drinking coffee will not heal.

Anxiety can be controlled - but the anxiety 'kick starter' (for lack of a better word) never entirely goes away. Kind of like an anorexic never gets rid of her body image issues.

There are one or more underlying beliefs causing the anxiety. Eliminate them with a certain Method and problem solved. It won't mean you won't have bad things happening in your life ever after, but you won't react to them the same way.

Of course I understand how some people like to be thought of as victims because they don't have to take responsibility and they like the attention of other people feeling sorry for them. I see this all too often.

Maleficent, I find your username very apt. I believe you if you say you are mentally ill.

There are one or more underlying beliefs causing the anxiety. Eliminate them with a certain Method and problem solved. It won't mean you won't have bad things happening in your life ever after, but you won't react to them the same way.

Of course I understand how some people like to be thought of as victims because they don't have to take responsibility and they like the attention of other people feeling sorry for them. I see this all too often.

Maleficent, I find your username very apt. I believe you if you say you are mentally ill.

What a stupid and bitchy thing to say to someone who simply doesn't agree with you.

I am not mentally ill. I study psychopathology.

Diazepam is Valium. Your doctor may behind the time in prescribing that. There is Buspare with is not addicting and neurontin. Valium is kinda primitive and is intoxicating. Xanax and Klopin are more specific to anxiety. Diazepam makes me want to drink with it and get a real buzz with Xanax calms me down and just says it's time to go to bed.

Change your life style. Avoid excessive internet use, avoiding watching tv. Go outside and get some sunlight, no hat or sunglasses. The sunlight will help you calm down. Eat fresh vegetables and some fruits into your diet. Avoid as much as possible processed foods.

Another easy way is to take a nice cold shower as long as you can it will help with your anxiety as least temporarily. << This is very important if you go cold showers for anxiety you will see positive experiences with this. You should do it for at least 2 minutes.