Coping with Many Chronic Illnesses?

I have been sick my entire life. I am not a normal and healthy 31 year old and it makes me very sad. Sometimes I don't know what I did to deserve all this.

I have so many diseases and illnesses, along with weight gain which come from all the medication and my ailments. Exercising is very painful and exhausting; my heart beats so fast that I feel like I'm going pass out and my joints ache. My doctor says that I need to start very slowly; I'll never lose weight like that!

I have bipolar disorder, a liver tumor that I am going to see a surgeon about, impaired thyroid function, asthma, arthritis and HPV. I also see a therapist for emotional problems from physical, emotional and sexual abuse.

How can I cope with not being healthy? I feel like I am 70 years old! :mad:

Try some meditation- and anything else that improves your mental state. (Qi gong could be good- it's minimal exercise and should give you some energy).

I've always found that I feel physically less well when I'm emotionally or mentally in a bad place, and maybe that's something you can work on.

I've read about fish oil supplements being a natural way to improve brain chemistry and mood- including bi-polar disorder. It may also help with your join pain, as it's an anti-inflammatory. I think you're meant to take a high dose for that- probably a couple grams a day.

It's very hard to be physically disabled. I think the trick to getting through it is developing a rich imagination and internal life.

Good luck!

• Author

I eat vegetables at dinner every night and I drink fruit smoothies about four times a week.

I've heard of fish oil, but I can't have it because I am deathly allergic to fish, as well as coconuts.

I listened to the author of Honest Medicine on the radio last night and plan to ask my doctor about one of her recommendations for treatment of autoimmune disease.

Look at this list. Do you have any of these diseases or conditions? Then low dose Naltrexone might help you. It's FDA approved but has to be prescribed differently.

Here is more information. Read through and then print it out for your doctor. If he isn't interested in helping you, find someone who is an MD but into integrative medicine.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I wish I could help. I've been dealing with exhaustion for years, and aches and pains, then dizziness, vomiting and more. I've had the experience a few times, of exercise making my heart beat too fast, some years back, first in my early twenties.

I still rarely exercise, but I need to try as well. Coconut oil has been helping me, but since I have the stomach issues, it didn't do much for me until I was able to eat it right off the spoon (when liquified). Have you tried coconut water in your smoothies? I've sarted to take bee pollen with the oil, too, but I have no problems with that - some people do.

... and I just read your comment about coconuts. So much for that. Something is on the tip of my tongue. Do you add greens to your smoothies? I've been reading about how great collard greens are, and kale. That wasn't what I was trying to think of - I'll get back to you if it comes to me. B vitamins are in nutritional yeast, vitamin E is good for the heart, as is Hawthorn and CoQ10.

amaysngrace

Ground flax seed has the same health benefits as fish oil...omega 3 fatty acids plus its rich in linigans. I add it to oatmeal and smoothies.

Soy milk is good too. I use vanilla Silk in smoothies too.

And if you like blueberries, Naked makes a killer one if you're on the go and need a healthy boost.

I don't know where you live Nyla but if there is fresh produce stands maybe you should buy your produce there. I'm vegetarian now and the only milk I buy is organic and same for the meats for my boys.

Our foods are suppose to nourish us but there is so many things at the market that can exacerbate certain conditions. Read the labels. The more ingredients there are, the worse it probably is for you.

• Like 1

I've been getting help with my stomach issues from a book called Beauty Detox Foods, and a few recipes from the author's previous book. I wonder if that, or The PH Miracle, would help you.

You can get PH water from the health food store, to raise your PH level, although greens and fruits should do that, too.

I was thinking about flax seeds, and then there are chia seeds, too. They are supposed to be very good for you. You can add them to smoothies, or make puddings with that and almond milk, banana, etc. It thickens whatever it's added to, and I grind them first, otherwise they get stuck in my gums.

Edited by Anela
Feelin Frisky

I can identify. I was injured at 19 and I have not had a moment without pain since 1974. I've had to work through it and try to have a life anyway but no one can tell me exactly what is wrong. It's not as painful as it is annoying. I just feel like I've been picked up and dropped off my center of gravity. It effects the whole left side of my body from foot to neck. It makes sleeping a problem and I'll never have those years back and it seems I'll die with this. My whole life is shot and I'm about to cry right now. It's miserable. Good night. *tears*

Could you try this with sesame oe sunflower oil?

Oil Pulling - The Habit That Can Transform Your Health

I wish I'd known about this years ago. I occasionally do this with coconut oil and it makes my mouth feel so good, fresh and clean, and may have helped with sinus problems at the time (and making my right ear better).

the book I mentioned before, is an anti-inflammation diet, too.