"life is what happens while you're busy making other plans" is damn true!

just a week ago, i had a billion plans - a contract elsewhere for the summer, a trip to europe, another contract for the fall, a degree to do after that. then within several hours, everything changed (for reasons too long to type out). now i only have a contract for the summer, and a degree to do right after that... on top of that, my least fav't relative who i was hoping not to see this summer is coming to visit. needless to say, i'm :( :( :( things were just looking up for me, i felt like i was finally starting to do what I want to with my life, and BOOM, tada, stop right there; back to doing what's proper and reasonable and not bad but not rlly exciting for me... i know i'll just have to make the best of it. just a rant.

-yes

HokeyReligions

[font=century gothic][color=red]GRRRARRRUUUGGGHH!!! [/color][/font] I'll scream out loud with you! I know that frustration and disappointment! I thought I had a position until July 2005 and I found out recently that it will probably end in late summer or early fall this year!

You said you felt like you were going to do what you want with your life, then you said you were going to have to do what is proper and reasonable. Um, just what was it you wanted to do that was improper and unreasonable? Curious LS'rs want to know! :p

• Author

Hokey: thanks for screaming w/ me! What I wanted to do wasn't improper or unreasonable at all - it was going away for the summer to work, taking half a year off before going back to school, taking the trip to europe, etc. Normal things, really. But I can't do them. I'm left with a contract and going back to school in Sept - which is fine (i.e. proper and reasonable) but not rlly what i wanted. This is what i meant :)

-yes

Well, you never know what may happen next. I hope BOOM, tada, something fantastic is waiting for you just around the corner :)

• Author

thanks meanon :) indeed, i've just been accepted to another school for grad studies - now I have choice, which is very nice. This school is also in a very nice city where a language I'm not fluent in is spoken - so i'd have the benefit of becoming trilingual if i went. meanwhile, I'm also trying to find out if I can still take some time off before going back to school.

it took me a couple of hours of being all upset about it to begin thinking abt what to do next, and now i have some ideas. i won't just sit here and do what i don't want to... i'll do my best to do what i'd like to!

-yes

Thinkalot

Good for you! That's the spirit. You only live once. :)

Pretty much, yes, this is a chance to begin learning to roll with the punches. I've lost count of the plans I've made which life changed for me without my permission. I pretty much gave up planning because it began to seem futile. Some of us take a direct path to our destiny. Others seem to have to navigate a lot of S-curves and dead ends.

I keep thinking of myself as a rather benighted lab rat who can't quite manage the maze without smacking my head into the maze wall at the end of every dead end LOL. This may not be your fate, but just in case, be sure you're equipped with a real good sense of humour and a suit of rubber so you can bounce off whatever happens and head off in a new direction :D

• Author

merci merci, thinkalot ;) i'll try to keep it up. my friends are all laughing cuz every time we talk my future looks very different.

-yes

Thinkalot

LOL! My plans have changed many many times over the years also!

• Author

Glad you can relate! It takes a lil getting used to, to hang up in the air like this, with so many changes, but I'm a lot cooler about it now that I was when I first had to make choices and explore various options.

-yes