it is not meant for everyone

my parents didn't really agree (and still don't) with my decision to go into engineering school. They think that it's too much hard work and I would likely not be able to get good grades.

My first semester, I got 3.75 of gpa, and I FAILED 1 course the 2nd semester because I wasn't aware of my physical limits and I pull too many all nighters before getting really sick during the final. My gpa dropped to 3.3.

This semester, I have 2 courses that I am struggling with. I FAILED my midterms in both of them and my grades are BELOW averages. When I talked to one of the prof today, he told me that "there are people who are smart, there are those who are average and those who are not. Engineering is not meant for everyone."

That message wasn't specifically for me, but he was referring to people who failed his class in the past. He mentioned that everyone should take personal responsibility, and that STUDENTS are the ones failing THEMSELVES. which I agree with.

Even though I know this person knows nothing about me and the fact that i am working my way through college because my parents are going through a tough time financially since a couple of years. and that I am one of the most responsible person that I personally aware of at my age. I still feel terribly hurt by this statement.

Partially because I think what he says might be true. I am surrounded by very smart people who get 3.4 and 3.5 of pga without failing any courses in engineering. For them 3.5 is a descent gpa, not extraordinary.

I feel so discouraged because I know that I would have a very easy time getting As in sciences or business since I took electives in those fields, and I keep wondering if my parents were right about me. I was so hurt by the thought that "I am not smart enough" that I cried like a crazy person on the way home. Must not be fun to watch.

I don't plan to give up, there are still finals and projects. But I am so discouraged, I have never felt this unconfident about myself before.

Maybe I AM NOT smart enough for engineering because I am getting grades below average and I feel everyone surrounding me is smarter.

any similar situations and advices that you want to share?

I am a practicing civil engineer, and I've been out of school (thankfully) for 4 years now.

I can definitely sympathize with what you're going through, and I had those same moments and thoughts myself (tears and all).

One thing that your professors might not necessarily have perspective on is the "real working world" (though some of them might, who knows). All I know is that you can't necessarily take what they say regarding your worth as an engineer to heart blindly. Some of them may have only ever dabbled in engineering as a profession; some have built their entire careers within the confines of the academic community.

Basically what I'm saying is that just because someone is a good student doesn't mean that they're going to well suited to the profession, which involves, I hate to say, a LOT more than what most engineering school curricula encompass.

I don't know what type of engineering you're going for, but don't discount your writing skills and your interpersonal skills as desirable/marketable/highly necessary traits. A lot of people think engineering is all about being a technically minded egghead, but your ability to operate within a business environment will make or break your ability to progress, not your technical prowess.

Don't get me wrong, technical knowledge is important, especially conceptual understanding. However, keep in mind that practicing engineers most often make use of standardized technical manuals/procedures, computer models, etc.

That's my take on it. I'm only one person, seeing it from one side of things, but I hope this helps. I failed a couple of classes too. You just have to get up, dust yourself off and keep going. School is basically a bunch of hoops you have to jump through. You'll get through it! It does end someday! :)

Infomercials

Do you love engineering? I assume so, but you never said anything. My brother's an engineer, and so I started out school in EE. I did okay, but I hated it. I'm a teacher now, and I loved those classes and my job now. If it's something you love and are passionate about, I'd say fight for it. If not, figure out what makes you feel that way. I'd be the most miserable engineer in the world! And I'd really be careful about what your family says...mine told me I was stupid because I was taking a major that wouldn't make as much money. I'm happier now because I didn't listen.