Did I just act social??

Yeah so those who have read my other threads probably know I have social anxiety. Last night I did something that surprised me.

I went to an event. When I arrived, I only knew one person. But I picked up a good vibe from the other people, so I was okay. I was shy at first but eventually began to talk a bit more and had some short conversations with one or two people.

Later on we went to dinner. There were more people, a few that I knew but most of them I didn't. There were 20 people at least. I know that I spoke to at least 10 new people. And I don't know how this happened but I jumped from group to group. I started at one table. Spoke to a girl who seemed really cool. She jumped over to talk to some other people. I moved down a chair and joined in a conversation. Once it felt like it had gone dead I got up and sat beside some other people. Again, these were people I had just met that night. I spoke to them for most of the night and it went much better with them. They seemed genuinely interested in me, even though I'm pretty sure I came across nervous and weird.

At the end I spoke to a few of the people I knew already. I didn't say much to them, since two of them are girls I don't like. And then I went home rather than join them for the rest of the night.

Did I just act social?? I haven't been in a large group like that in a long time. It reminded me of the way I used to make friends with people in highschool. I would jump around from different groups and speak with people briefly rather than just stick to one spot. I don't like restricting myself to only a couple of people. I prefer to try and get to know everyone. Eventually once I'd found a group that I liked, I would spend more and more time until I sort of melted into it. I think that might be what I'm doing again now?

I guess the other thing that surprised me was the two girls who look down on me didn't jump around as much as I did, they just stuck to their own little group where they all knew each other already. I don't understand why they think they are better than me? In a weird way I feel like I have some sort of advantage they don't? Like because I've been on my own for so long, and have been joining other groups and clubs where I don't know anyone, I'm just getting used to striking up conversation with strangers.

Basically this is a bragging thread now that I think of it :)