Want to stop $%^*ing swearing!

My language is far too filthy. Even when I make a conscious effort not to swear, at least one word ends up slipping out. When I am angry or I accidentally hurt myself, a string of cuss words flow from my mouth. It offends people and it has to stop.

The funny thing is, I am very polite when I need to be and people often compliment me on my diction. I just can't seem to stop swearing. Perhaps its because I grew up being sworn at?

Any suggestions? I don't think a swear jar would work because I would lose all my money. :laugh:

Haha. :) When I decided to stop swearing, I just had to make the conscious decision to stop. It was hard at first... when you make the decision to stop, don't look at the one or two cuss words that come out as a step backward, or a mistake, look at it as vast improvement! What made me want to stop is that my 3yo started repeating some words. I want my children to keep their innocence, and I don't want "that" kid who says cuss words at an early age... but whether you have kids or not, I think you'll see that you are more positive in general when you stop cussing. My cussing stemmed from anger, so it took changing my general attitude about things to stop. Some days I still have the mouth of a sailor if I'm having a bad day, but it's gotten better. One thing that has helped me with anger is reminding myself that "this moment is as it is." Meaning, I just accept the moment, and stop looking at the negative aspects of it. If the moment is happening, there isn't anything I can do about it. I have to stop working against the moment, and start working with it. Does that make sense? For instance, a few days ago my 3yo got into a bottle of lotion and he and my 1yo had lotion all over. Instead of losing it, I just reminded myself, "this moment is as it is." I worked toward creating a "better moment." I cleaned them up, explained to my son why what he did was wrong, and believe me, it was a lot better than losing it and getting angry. A lot less stressful for everyone. :)

Swearing is a habit, a learned behaviour and it can be unlearned. it takes effort, thought and practice.

Give yourself one word. Instead of the f word, say fricken instead of "f....". Say shoot instead of sh.t.

It's one thing to swear when one stubs their toe (only word for that is the F word) it's another to just say the F word all the time.

• Like 1
skydiveaddict
My language is far too filthy. Even when I make a conscious effort not to swear, at least one word ends up slipping out.

Me too. My language is horrible. It's embarrassing for me at times, it's so bad.