How can you forgive yourself for stuff you've done?

ImperfectionisBeauty

So I am really wondering about this, it just kind of hit me today I suck. I mean I just have made decisions that are so bad and it's like I can't believe I have done half the stuff I did, especially since this time last year I was a totally innocent person. I just feel really bad about my decisions, I know that I am working really hard to not make the same mistakes. So far I am doing ok, it is just hard. I wish I could just go back in time and not done half the stuff I have. I feel so slutty and gross, I know that everyone has a past but I just feel like really horrible about it. I feel horrible now because even though I know I'm trying to avoid doing the same stuff over again what if I do? Then I will be a super **** up. I just want to forgive myself and not feel bad about it anymore so I can move on but I can't. I can't forget what I did and I can't get over it I just feel like.. ew.

Everything happens for a reason, and you know not to make those mistakes again. Therefore you've gained experience, and experience is never wasted. You're better off putting your mistakes down to experience and accepting that they happened so in the future when a similar situation happens you can go back and use that experience to make good judgements. You can't change what happened in the past.

That's the way I see it, I have no regrets about anything I've done and tbh I don't really care if those mistakes were stupid etc, its experience for me and it taught me something.

• Like 2
  • Author
ImperfectionisBeauty
Everything happens for a reason, and you know not to make those mistakes again. Therefore you've gained experience, and experience is never wasted. You're better off putting your mistakes down to experience and accepting that they happened so in the future when a similar situation happens you can go back and use that experience to make good judgements. You can't change what happened in the past.

That's the way I see it, I have no regrets about anything I've done and tbh I don't really care if those mistakes were stupid etc, its experience for me and it taught me something.

That's true.

I just have to avoid the same mistakes, that's hard. Not impossible, but hard.

Everyone has made stupid decisions, and everyone has regrets. The fact that you're evaluating your decisions and mistakes shows a pattern of maturation on your part.

One of the worst things a person can do, in my opinion, is to learn to ignore your "gut feeling" of what is right and what is wrong. That little voice in your head is there for a reason. Don't let it keep you from living your life to its fullest, but never stop thinking through the consequences (both good and bad) of your actions.

Also, while it's good to look back and evaluate, at some point, you have to forgive yourself and look forward! You show me a perfect individual, and I'll be happy to sell you some prime real estate on the Moon.

For me....Steps 8, 9 & 10.... 10 being the most relevant in my life today

8) Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9) Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10) Continued to take personal inventory, and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.

and then the serenity prayer helps in many cases too....

• Like 5