Finally going back to college - where to go for financial aid?

So I am 30 years old and finally ready to finish my degree. I dropped out of college after 2-years, had kids & a decent job so it didn't seem important to finish my degree. Now I realize that not having a degree bothers me, plus I could have some better employment options with one. I also miss school - the assignment challenges and learning new stuff.

My question is for those out there who also took a break from their higher education and then went back. What are some good resources for financial aid? And also Online vs. Brick & Mortar colleges - what do you think?

Mostly I need financial aid advice, but would like to hear your opinions too. Thanks!

skydiveaddict
Mostly I need financial aid advice, but would like to hear your opinions too. Thanks!

I think you would easily qualify for student loans and even perhaps some grants/scholarships.

If you plan to split your degree requirements between institutions, learn about articulation agreements. Repeating course credits is costly in time & expense.

I was just on a site about community college (I am looking into starting some online courses this spring), and it hit upon 2 points that Balzac mentioned - Articulation Agreements & FAFSA - site has a step-by-step guide to filling out the application & info about grants, scholarships and financial aid.

What is Community College? Helping, Students, Understand, Community College, Choice, Transfer Students, Student information, student guides

It really has a lot of information and may answer your questions - plus the site did not try to sell me anything! Good Luck!

• Like 1

As part of accepting a student a University must offer enough financial aid to pay for the tuition. This is done through Federal Stafford loans which are not reliant on credit. There are two types of loans: Subsidized and unsubsidized. Subsidized loans will accure interest from the moment you take them out, whereas unsubsidized loans will not begin to accure interest until 6 months after you graduate. These are your fail safe.

Apply for the FASFA and see if you can get any Pell Grants. Grants.gov is another great place to see what you qualify for. I applaud your effort and wish you the best of luck!