I've been feeling really down in the dumps lately. I've made an appointment to see my therapist. This has been by fart the most stressful and worst year ever with financial constraints, worrying about ending up homeless, relationship issues, moving, dealing with school so I can graduate next summer, a micro-managing boss who really enjoys making us all feel stupid as well as dental health issues and bills. I've always had anxiety and depression issues and sometimes I've been feeling like things will never get better. I'm trying to hold my head up...I get my bachelors next summer and I'll have more job opportunities with my experience level. But sometimes it feels like I've ruined myself forever...I have credit card debt and medical bills that I cannot really afford.

I'm glad you have support in the form of a therapist, Sugar.

Everyone needs someone there for him or her.

There's a book by Anne Lamott called Bird by Bird.

It's only the title that's applicable here, but it refers to taking things slow, one item at a time, rather than looking at the whole, the enormity of which can be overwhelming.

When your thoughts turn to panic or you feel yourself sinking into depression, stop.

Take a breath.

Break that train of thought and change course by not taking it all in.

Focus just on the bird of the hour.

If you haven't already, consider breaking the issues in bite-sized pieces.

Organize and group them if possible and then break them down further into small steps leading to resolution.

Small victories, making any progress, is very energizing.

Forward movement, no matter how tiny, will motivate you to keep going.

Also,

Consider ridding yourself of extras that are only adding strain (bad relationships for instance): you need your strength for the core issues.

And don't underestimate the need to be taking care of your body through good nutrition and sleep.

Your health heavily influences how hopeless or hopeFUL things appear.

I know this from first-hand experience.

Give yourself every advantage by taking care of yourself holistically.

Mind, body, and spirit.

• Like 2

It's this time of so many (including myself!) feel blah, down and out. With the weather changing, losing that extra hour of light and setting the clocks back an hour, it affects some people more than others.

Just know it'll pass and you'll feel better. Try not to think you're heading for a deep depression. Keep busy with projects and spend time with friends, family and most of all, reach out to people! Sometimes talking about it really helps.. Physical activity, yoga, brisk walking can help ward off the yucky feelings.

• Like 1

I went through the EXACT same thing about this time last year, every situation you mention was the same, I had lost so much weight I looked terrible, my grades dropped so I had to let school go for the time being...I had really been feeling depressed for a few years and finally hit rock bottom... ugh, I felt so bad I couldn't get off the couch or out of the bed and finally I called a therapist.

It helped me so so much (I literally had a nervous breakdown in his office). Though I suffer from GAD, Mild to Severe Depression and SAD, it hasn't been near as bad this year. I was, however, prescribed an anti depressant though...

Exercise, eat good, love yourself and light therapy really helps this time of year. I wish you the best, just remember your emotional/mental health is just as important as your physical.

Sometimes when we become overwhelmed with what life throws at us we just need an extra push to get back on the horse without quitting or just giving up. So hang in there, better days will come. :)

I forgot to add - Triple dose your Vitamin D. We don't get enough of that vitamin in the winter time and loading up on it helps with S.A.D symptoms.