Girls Harsher Critics Of The Female Body?

I want to speak about something I've seen a lot of, and see if anyone has experienced the same, and maybe open some dialogue as to the psychology behind it.

When I hear women talk about other women, it is without question much more shallow and superficial than any negative thing I've heard a man say about a woman. Most men I know, they'll do the usual boobs are too small/too big, ass is to small/too big, she has an ugly face/butterface, and just leave it at that.

When I hear women talk about women they don't like, it's much more cerebral, and thought out. Things like "Eww you like her? have you seen her fingers? her pinky is almost as long as her ring finger! Some of her nails are uneven, she's so gross!" or they'll look at a 100 pound girl and say "Wow look at that slut. She definitely shouldn't be wearing a dress like tight, look at her rolls! Um, here's a hint honey, white is not your friend. It makes you look fat sweetie. Next time wear black so guys don't notice those rolls you have"

There was a thread here (I believe it was here) where a guy posted a picture of a girl with her face blurred and talked about what he found physically attractive about her body (her tan, her boobs, her slim waist, etc) and some women came in and did a total deconstruction as to why she wasn't as attractive as the OP claimed.

Sometimes when guys talk about celebrity women, jealous girls will go to extreme lengths to discredit her physical appearance in an effort to bring her down a few notches.

It goes on and on. It's just a total physical deconstruction. When guys don't like a girl for physical reasons, in my experience, they make one comment and move on. "Ehh her ass is flat, I like girls with booty", and move on. But girls are much harsher critics of their own gender.

It makes me wonder, these physical pressures that women have; this belief that they're chasing unrealistic standards in magazines, are they trying to just please men? or is part of it them trying to avoid being harshly judged by their peers?

We always talk about men being shallow and whatnot, but boy, when a woman feels her beauty is being outshined by another women, she will annihilate the opposition in ways I don't think any man could ever do.

They'll find microscopic flaws in women and just dig at them. I've also heard some of torture tactics women use in sorority initiations. Things like circling rolls on a girl with a marker and calling her flabby and fat etc in front of other pledges and mocking her appearance. Just really brutal stuff.

I understand part of it is because they're judging women they don't like, so they may feel anything goes, but even when men bully other men over appearance, it's still minimal. If a guy has a problem with a shorter guy, he'll just say "that dude is so short, he's never gonna get laid being that short", and move on. He wont look for smaller details and continue to rip the guy; calling him short is enough for him.

Is this just something I've seen/experienced. Are girls harsher critics of female looks?

• Like 2

This is funny since I just saw a video where Christina Hendricks who is gorgeous keeps getting grilled about her weight by a woman interviewer.

The fashion has almost no straight men making the decisions in it and it is by far the worst offender in promoting the anorexic look. Most men really are not into stick figures.

• Like 1
  • Author
This is funny since I just saw a video where Christina Hendricks who is gorgeous keeps getting grilled about her weight by a woman interviewer.

The fashion has almost no straight men making the decisions in it and it is by far the worst offender in promoting the anorexic look. Most men really are not into stick figures.

That's kind of what I'm driving at here. Who is setting the pressures on the female body? Because neither me nor any of my friends are into stick thin, unhealthy looking girls. But then I'll hear girls call Kim Kardashian or Hendricks a cow; women who are nowhere near cows in my opinion. Who is setting the image here?

todreaminblue
I want to speak about something I've seen a lot of, and see if anyone has experienced the same, and maybe open some dialogue as to the psychology behind it.

When I hear women talk about other women, it is without question much more shallow and superficial than any negative thing I've heard a man say about a woman. Most men I know, they'll do the usual boobs are too small/too big, ass is to small/too big, she has an ugly face/butterface, and just leave it at that.

When I hear women talk about women they don't like, it's much more cerebral, and thought out. Things like "Eww you like her? have you seen her fingers? her pinky is almost as long as her ring finger! Some of her nails are uneven, she's so gross!" or they'll look at a 100 pound girl and say "Wow look at that slut. She definitely shouldn't be wearing a dress like tight, look at her rolls! Um, here's a hint honey, white is not your friend. It makes you look fat sweetie. Next time wear black so guys don't notice those rolls you have"

There was a thread here (I believe it was here) where a guy posted a picture of a girl with her face blurred and talked about what he found physically attractive about her body (her tan, her boobs, her slim waist, etc) and some women came in and did a total deconstruction as to why she wasn't as attractive as the OP claimed.

Sometimes when guys talk about celebrity women, jealous girls will go to extreme lengths to discredit her physical appearance in an effort to bring her down a few notches.

It goes on and on. It's just a total physical deconstruction. When guys don't like a girl for physical reasons, in my experience, they make one comment and move on. "Ehh her ass is flat, I like girls with booty", and move on. But girls are much harsher critics of their own gender.

It makes me wonder, these physical pressures that women have; this belief that they're chasing unrealistic standards in magazines, are they trying to just please men? or is part of it them trying to avoid being harshly judged by their peers?

We always talk about men being shallow and whatnot, but boy, when a woman feels her beauty is being outshined by another women, she will annihilate the opposition in ways I don't think any man could ever do.

They'll find microscopic flaws in women and just dig at them. I've also heard some of torture tactics women use in sorority initiations. Things like circling rolls on a girl with a marker and calling her flabby and fat etc in front of other pledges and mocking her appearance. Just really brutal stuff.

I understand part of it is because they're judging women they don't like, so they may feel anything goes, but even when men bully other men over appearance, it's still minimal. If a guy has a problem with a shorter guy, he'll just say "that dude is so short, he's never gonna get laid being that short", and move on. He wont look for smaller details and continue to rip the guy; calling him short is enough for him.

Is this just something I've seen/experienced. Are girls harsher critics of female looks?

I do think women are harsher judges on themselves if anything.....it starts young and hasnt changed much since i was a teen...my girls have gone through the female bullying realm.....two of them anyway....the younger one is a total sports freak so she doesnt cop it much the other two yes..its hard to watch..and hear about....makes me extremely sad....i cant stop it , cant control it can tstop other girl sfrom saying nasty derogatory things and no matter how much i build them up a school yard can change it one day .....its a constant media puts pressure on girls from a young age to conform.........deb

• Like 1

Yes, I think women are harsher critics, partially because women aren't turned on by women's bodies as men are. Women see a fat butt and think "fat butt"--whether it is her own or another woman's. Men see a fat butt, and many think "yum...."

Women see a bad dye job and think "trashy", while men are still looking at the yummy butt :)

• Like 3
  • Author
I do think women are harsher judges on themselves if anything.....it starts young and hasnt changed much since i was a teen...my girls have gone through the female bullying realm.....two of them anyway....the younger one is a total sports freak so she doesnt cop it much the other two yes..its hard to watch..and hear about....makes me extremely sad....i cant stop it , cant control it can tstop other girl sfrom saying nasty derogatory things and no matter how much i build them up a school yard can change it one day .....its a constant media puts pressure on girls from a young age to conform.........deb

That's very unfortunate and I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully they'll be able to get through those things without serious body image problems.

I just find it ironic that men are labeled as being shallow and superficial, which they are in many ways; but in my opinion, not to the extent women are when it comes to judging other women.

I have had several friends with daughters who almost had to pull them out of school because of bullying.

I read something once that said "Women are always in competition with each other, in one way or another". Perhaps this is just natural competition? *shrugs*.

• Like 2
I read something once that said "Women are always in competition with each other, in one way or another". Perhaps this is just natural competition? *shrugs*.

People who approach life like that are sad.

• Like 3
  • Author

Perhaps--but why not just call her fat or ugly and move on? When a female tries to convince me that a woman I find attractive is in fact not so--the lengths at which they go are extremely detailed and shallow. Things like "Eww don't you know she has a birthmark on the back of her neck? It's so gross! She is not pretty at all!" They really go out of their way to find physical flaws in other women. It's quite sad.

todreaminblue
That's very unfortunate and I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully they'll be able to get through those things without serious body image problems.

I just find it ironic that men are labeled as being shallow and superficial, which they are in many ways; but in my opinion, not to the extent women are when it comes to judging other women.

its too late they already have the insecurities but in saying that most women do.......they still have me here when those girls fade off into the past......but it i sinterestign too note that from school days its not the boys who normally attack a girl ....its the girls....and often it is girls who have something special....two of my girls carry extra weight.....but have striking facial features....almond eyes tanned skin......gorgeous girls actually......they dont have trouble attracting boys or boys finding them pretty...whole different set of problems..woudl prefer them to have close girlfriends tryign to get them involved in church at the moment......my rottweiler is going to be put to use soon.......but girls....different story.....so this cyclic thing happens where they get affection from boys instead of forming close friendships with girls....which would be preferrable to me and my rottie having a very meaty diet in the future ....boy only diet..........deb

Perhaps--but why not just call her fat or ugly and move on? When a female tries to convince me that a woman I find attractive is in fact not so--the lengths at which they go are extremely detailed and shallow. Things like "Eww don't you know she has a birthmark on the back of her neck? It's so gross! She is not pretty at all!" They really go out of their way to find physical flaws in other women. It's quite sad.

Do you really think it is less harsh to call her fat or ugly? I don't.

As a woman, the little detail stuff comes across as pure jealousy, and hits like a feather instead of a brick (now that I'm an adult).

Being called ugly would hurt.

Besides, they don't call her fat or ugly because they know she is neither.

• Like 3
I've encountered women like this and their insecurities shine through like the morning sun. When someone goes out of their way to put someone down, it's most often due to jealousy. They will try and find anything to comment negatively on, about the woman they're targeting. In my experience, they will try and reinforce their insults through repetition. They'll use any excuse to insult their "competition" just to ensure that they've done all they can to hinder your attraction to this woman. Most women aren't like this, the one's who do engage in this type of behaviour are usually mild (in that they'll mention it once and then let the power of suggestion take effect). There are a few that go that one step further though. In my experience, the more insecure, the more they insult. My $0.02.
  • Author
Do you really think it is less harsh to call her fat or ugly? I don't.

As a woman, the little detail stuff comes across as pure jealousy, and hits like a feather instead of a brick (now that I'm an adult).

Being called ugly would hurt.

Besides, they don't call her fat or ugly because they know she is neither.

I didn't say being called fat or ugly is a compliment, but you can try and chalk that stuff up to girls being jealous or whatever. The more specific and detailed their criticism, the harder I'd imagine it to be to let go. Beyonce apparently has a freckle on her lip. In extreme, up close, high def pictures, you can kind of spot it--I would imagine if girls in school teased her about it, that would bury her confidence. To my knowledge, she's the only one who's noticed it and spoke out about it; I don't think she ever got teased for it. But I've heard women dig into other women with small stuff like that all the time. It cuts deeper than just being called "ugly" in my opinion. Ugly is a general, broad term. Specific stuff means the person really went out their way to do you harm.

I'm a woman.

OP, you're totally right. I'm surprised you even have to ask -- I thought it was common knowledge. I'm not trying to sound rude so don't take it that way. :)

Women are horrible to each other. It's about feeling threatened.

I wish I could say I was above all that but I used to be quite guilty of it myself. I'm 39 now and when I was younger, like 20, if a guy said another girl was hot, I'd feel threatened and offended or something. Seriously! Now my first instinct is still to feel like that but then I'm like 'whoa, kraftdinner...she IS hot and it doesn't mean you're chopped liver!' Haha.

In fact, when I met my boyfriend last year, we were at a club and there was a super hot chick in front of us and I said to him (we had just started chatting randomly) something like 'wow, she's hot' and he was like 'you're cool!' And actually that's when he actually looked at me and was like, 'hey, you're really pretty yourself and have nice eyes' haha, so not acting jealous scored me a great fella!

Take note, ladies! ;)

• Like 5
I didn't say being called fat or ugly is a compliment, but you can try and chalk that stuff up to girls being jealous or whatever. The more specific and detailed their criticism, the harder I'd imagine it to be to let go. Beyonce apparently has a freckle on her lip. In extreme, up close, high def pictures, you can kind of spot it--I would imagine if girls in school teased her about it, that would bury her confidence. To my knowledge, she's the only one who's noticed it and spoke out about it; I don't think she ever got teased for it. But I've heard women dig into other women with small stuff like that all the time. It cuts deeper than just being called "ugly" in my opinion. Ugly is a general, broad term. Specific stuff means the person really went out their way to do you harm.

I've been on the receiving end of a few insults from women. For every small thing a woman has said about me, a man has complimented the same thing (sometimes that is why women cut it down). It's easier for me to disregard than a general "ugly" comment.

Standard MO for the misogynists and PUA types is to attack women about their weight, age, lack of interest in mercy dating, having a vagina instead of a penis and pretty much anything, including being gold diggers if they expect the guy to pay for their first date.

I'm unable to see how anyone can realistically compare the above as being the lesser of two evils. At least women target individuals instead of broad brush stroke 50% of the Earth's population.

• Like 2
  • Author
Standard MO for the misogynists and PUA types is to attack women about their weight, age, lack of interest in mercy dating, having a vagina instead of a penis and pretty much anything, including being gold diggers if they expect the guy to pay for their first date.

I'm unable to see how anyone can realistically compare the above as being the lesser of two evils. At least women target individuals instead of broad brush stroke 50% of the Earth's population.

I'm curious--have you ever been burned by a pua in the past? Like severely burned? Serious question.

I actually have never experienced this. Women if asked have given their opinion but I can't remember women tearing other women down for details as much as men do.

So yeah, I can't really relate to this topic.

• Like 1
I'm curious--have you ever been burned by a pua in the past? Like severely burned? Serious question.
I brought up PUAs and misogynists because of the profusion of them on LS and how thread after thread attempts to disenfranchise women.

In order to suggest that "women" as a category are harsher on other women than categorical "men", you're going to need to include these two segments of the male population.

Or maybe you need to broach it in this way:

Some women are harsher critics on other women, than some men are on women.

• Like 1

It's not about attacking. (there are people who misuses anything anyways)

It's about not getting affected by their looks.

will you act like a dog in front of rich guy OR act like you don't care about money?

Anyways, girls 8+ take sarcastic jokes very well about their looks since they know they are hot. 'hey you are kind of short for my taste' 'laugh oh yeah?' I wouldn't do a joke with 7 and under.

Threebyfate, you do have a point.

I guess I don't pay much attention to guys like that so I've excluded them from my response.

I find most guys to be pretty decent. But yeah, some dudes can be unnecessarily harsh and it can be a lot more hurtful than the Mean Girls comments. CAN be...not IS, necessarily.

• Like 1
  • Author
I brought up PUAs and misogynists because of the profusion of them on LS and how thread after thread attempts to disenfranchise women.

In order to suggest that "women" as a category are harsher on other women than categorical "men", you're going to need to include these two segments of the male population.

Or maybe you need to broach it in this way:

Some women are harsher critics on other women, than some men are on women.

You didn't answer my question.