Am I having a Nervous Breakdown?

Since April this year I have been on an emotional rollercoaster. I feel on the verge of tears all the time and like I'm ready to leap out of my skin and very shaky all the time. I'm hyper-senstive to sound, light, ect. A lot of stuff precipated this, way too much to put down here, but while things have calmed down somewhat instead of feeling better I'm actually feeling worse. I really feel like I need a good cry to get all this stress chemical released from me but I can't make that happen on demand and when I feel like bursting into tears I'm usually at work or some public place. I feel emotionally unstable. I don't know what to do about this and feel that I can't go on feeling this way much longer. Can I be having a nervous breakdown? Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to feel better besides going to a doctor and getting meds, which I don't want to do.

How old are you? Is this the first time you've experienced something like this? Can you think of anything that happened in April that may have triggered these symptoms?

I don't understand how you would rather feel this way than seeing the doc and getting meds which could make you feel better.

You should definatley see your doc, explain to him/her what you've explained on here, and he should be able to help you, he may suggest therapy, meds, or something else.

• Author

Over the past several years I've had to deal with the nightmare of caring for my terminally ill mother. After her death I sold my house, which was in a rural area and only there because my mother lived in that area too, and moved to a small city, which I love. The move wasn't easy and lots of stress but I weathered it. I was feeling optimistic in the beginning of the new year but in April met a bad guy who totally messed with my head. It was a total yo-yo relationship - I love you, I don't love you; I need you, I don't need you; I want you, I don't want you. He not only sucked the life out of me but also my confidence in myself. I also found out that while he always proclaimed he would never lie to me, was lying through his teeth about practically every aspect of his life, including multiple relationships with numerous women. I know this is a stupid thing that I allowed someone to do this to me but for some reason, while I no longer care about him anymore, the damage he did to my psyche is immeasurable. Just wish I never met him in the first place.

Brooklyn, it sounds like too much almost as if you went from one traumatic situation (your moms illness) and rolled through selling the house and changing your environment and then rolled right into a bad, yo-yo relationship without any real time to breathe!

I think it would do you a lot of good to talk to a therapist or counselor and take some "me time" for a bit. I'm not sure you've really had time to deal with everything because it sounds so close together.

I know the yo-yo type. They're immature and can really do a number on you for a while. Takes time away from them to go back to being a nice, stable person again, doesn't it?

You don't sound like you're having a nervous breakdown (sounds like lots of anxiety) but you're probably on the verge of one! Before you really lose it, maybe just slow things down for a while to a better pace for you, give yourself time to have some peace (with no yo-yo around) and finally deal with all these changes you've had to go through.

Not sure if you're open to the medication route like Ross suggested but if you are, it would help in the short term while you find someone you can talk to.

• Author

Thanks guys for all your advice. Just started a new job and unfortunately the boss is a very high stress person which is only adding to my stress. But, my home life has calmed down considerably with no yo-yo in sight (lol) and I'm trying to take one day at a time.

My goodness, you've been through a lot!

You know, I am of the belief that what you're feeling (anxiety) is a pretty normal reaction to so much stress. Yes...medication can be prescribed to alleviate symptoms. And it's not a bad thing.

But, I think masking all of the negative parts of life with medication prevents us from learning coping skills for the next difficulty we face. I definitely recommend trying an anxiety support group (I hope one is available near you :)) before resorting to medication. IMO, you are not someone with a pathological mental health problem...just someone who's faced quite a bit lately, and could use some support and understanding.