Having a full time job I'm passionate about has changed my life

As some of you may recall, for the past four years I have been a part-time teacher. It was the best of both worlds, or so I thought. I could teach some hours here and there, yet have plenty of free time... to do whatever I wanted. Play video games, watch Netflix movies until 3 AM... sometimes I'd even watch two NF movies in a row. Start at midnight, end at 3. I would surf the net for hours. Repeat the cycle. etc. It wasn't a healthy lifestyle, and I knew I was just delaying adulthood. I knew sooner or later I would have to change my ways, or suffer the consequences of delayed and stunted growth as an adult.

I finally got my act together (and still am constantly trying to further get my stuff together... after all we never stop growing, and the day we do, is the day we die inside). It wasn't sudden though. Like most things, it didn't happen overnight, but it happened gradually as I took faith step after faith step. Granted, they were VERY SMALL faith steps at times, but they were a step FORWARD nevertheless. That's the key. Keep moving forward -- one foot ahead of the other.

Over this past summer I earned myself a full time teaching position. I now teach lower elementary school FULL time... and this has been my first week in school. I'm loving it. The kids are on my mind 24/7. I used to be the kind of guy who would hopelessly crush on girls and just be that friend zone guy. I no longer think or operate in such circles. Now I'm no longer idle. Whereas the past four years I had an EXCESSIVELY stupid amount of free time, now I'm putting in 7 AM-7 PM hours.... my students are on my mind 24/7... and my mind has changed. Something has changed deep within my heart. Do I still desire a GF? Yes. Am I still desperate for one? Not anymore, thank God. And ironically, as I stopped trying so hard, and my confidence rises internally rather than focusing on external praise, girls are seeing me in a new light and are contacting me more. Goes to show you what a little confidence and living for something in life bigger than yourself or merely getting a GF truly is in the eyes of women. It counts for more than we may ever know.

Having a full time job you're passionate about makes all the difference. I just wanted to share with everyone the latest chapter in my journey. I feel so blessed to be where I am. It may have taken four long years, but I always kept believing, and I never allowed myself to give up on my dream of one day becoming a full time teacher.

Dream beyond the opposite sex, work hard and discover who you are in the process. The rest, as it so often does, will somehow take care of itself in due time.

It just feels really good to be swimming with the current for a change, as opposed to against it. So much better. I wish everyone who is struggling here could experience the breakout that I have in recent months. Living a life of purpose that goes beyond yourself and girls is an incredibly attractive force.

Now it's time to go out there and become the best teacher that I can become.

• Like 2
HeavenOrHell

That's great :)

Doing voluntary work changed my life (in my case caring for animals), started it many years ago and it turned my life around.

I feel lucky to have a purpose when many people don't.

• Author
I feel lucky to have a purpose when many people don't.

Very true.

I also feel very sad when I see some posters here always complaining and making the opposite sex life and death. There's so much more to life than just having a girlfriend. Ironically, it's their very intense single-minded goal that most often impedes them from actually... you know... taking that next step in their lives. Instead, they remain stuck in the mud for years and years. It's quite sad to see.

So thankful I broke free outta that mental death trap over the years.

• Author

Had a very nice moment at Jamba Juice earlier today.

So, tonight was Back to School parent night. I dressed up real sharp, tie and all. Had my teacher badge on... decided to swing by Jamba Juice while I had a moment to myself.

Behind me in line was a young man and woman. The girl was quite cute. I overheard them talking about my old college, so INSTINCTIVELY I just jumped in. I didn't hesitate and take that moment to analyze or ask myself "Well should I?"

I just went off impulse and CONFIDENCE.

I was also dressed my best. I also had a Back to School night function later that day. In other words, I was... as some folks may say... "BALLING."

3 months ago, I doubt I would do that. I can be a slobby dresser (just lazy) and sometimes, I can really shy away from engaging strangers in chit-chat.

Now, I have a purpose in life (or rather I went from daydreaming and not doing anything to actually living it out through hard work and persistence), I was dressed sharply, I had an actual "resume" under my belt, and I truly felt like I mattered beyond what I did last year; now using my gifts to serve my community.

What followed was some nice banter with them. Turns out they're 18... so I was 11 years older than them. They were super cool and I could see by the look in their eyes that they saw me as a "cool guy," which is something I am not used to. I gave them feedback about classes to take and they were eating my words up.

They also thought I was 25... which made me feel good. (I just turned 29). It was just a nice little conversation and it's amazing what confidence, living a purpose-driven life and not overanalyzing can do for a person.

Live well.

Dress your best.

Live in the moment.

So simple that people make it more complex than it needs to be.

Eternal Sunshine

After a nasty break up, taking up extra work has literally saved my life and helped build my confidence up :)

Not to mention that extra $$$ helped with making a more comfortable lifestyle for myself.

• Like 1