How to work from home?

What could I do and how would I go about it??

Well, that depends. What are you interested in doing as an entrepreneur?

First you need your idea. Do you want a business partner? Do you want to offer a service to an organization as a consultant? These are important questions to ask yourself, when you think being an entrepreneur may be good for you.

Then, take your idea to a non-profit organization that helps entrepreneurs, and find a business mentor who will help you with all the start up necessary.

Maybe ThaWholigan could help you, since he's in the process of entrepreneurship too. He posted in the OTT thread about working on his marketing plan. Since you are both in the UK, he may know where you could start.

I also suggest getting books from the library about being an entrepreneur.

I found this link. Maybe it will help?

I copied the part that gives advice about how to start up your own business.

It's a UK link too. Considering starting up? | Business Link

• Like 1

It's always easier if you have an area of expertise. Other than small business owners, the majority of work-from-home people are contractual/freelance writers, programmers, designers, and such.

Honestly, though, it depends on your reasons for wanting to work from home. Some full-time jobs have positions that allow you to work from home sometimes but you would still be an employee of a company, with everything that it entails. On the other hand, if you are a freelancer or own your own small business, you have full autonomy, but you would usually need to socialize/network and put yourself out there MORE than if you worked outside the home for a company, if you want to be successful. You have to pitch yourself to customers/contractors to get business and face a lot of rejection. Also you have to make sure you have sufficient income from SOMEwhere to tide you over when you're not getting much business.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to work from home too, and am doing all I can to make it happen. But you need to know your reasons for wanting to do so and whether or not they would be realistic.

• Like 1
  • Author
Ross MwcFan
It's always easier if you have an area of expertise. Other than small business owners, the majority of work-from-home people are contractual/freelance writers, programmers, designers, and such.

Honestly, though, it depends on your reasons for wanting to work from home. Some full-time jobs have positions that allow you to work from home sometimes but you would still be an employee of a company, with everything that it entails. On the other hand, if you are a freelancer or own your own small business, you have full autonomy, but you would usually need to socialize/network and put yourself out there MORE than if you worked outside the home for a company, if you want to be successful. You have to pitch yourself to customers/contractors to get business and face a lot of rejection. Also you have to make sure you have sufficient income from SOMEwhere to tide you over when you're not getting much business.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to work from home too, and am doing all I can to make it happen. But you need to know your reasons for wanting to do so and whether or not they would be realistic.

The reasons for me wanting to do so are because I couldn't cope with having to work at a crappy job out of my home.

Maybe you could do some informational interviews with small business owners, too.

Here's a news article about young UK entrepreneurs: Britain's new entrepreneurs: young guns go for it | Business | The Observer

I just found another about.com article that discusses work-at-home jobs. Types of Work From Home Jobs

Here's a UK link to start-up businesses: Entrepreneurs | Startups

• Like 1
  • Author
Ross MwcFan
Well, that depends. What are you interested in doing as an entrepreneur?

First you need your idea. Do you want a business partner? Do you want to offer a service to an organization as a consultant? These are important questions to ask yourself, when you think being an entrepreneur may be good for you.

Then, take your idea to a non-profit organization that helps entrepreneurs, and find a business mentor who will help you with all the start up necessary.

Maybe ThaWholigan could help you, since he's in the process of entrepreneurship too. He posted in the OTT thread about working on his marketing plan. Since you are both in the UK, he may know where you could start.

I also suggest getting books from the library about being an entrepreneur.

I found this link. Maybe it will help?

I copied the part that gives advice about how to start up your own business.

It's a UK link too. Considering starting up? | Business Link

Thanks for the link, I'm reading some of it now, it's taking all my strength to do so though, since I've got zero morale, zero will power, and feel in a really bad way.

The only things that I can think of that I'd be interested in doing is selling my art, or working on the computer.

I don't want a business partner, unless it's just someone who I only contact over the Internet.

I don't understand what offering a service to an organization as a consultant means.

Pick up a skill that is most conducive to working from home. It may take a while, so you may have to tough things through for a bit, but it'll be worth it. Google freelance website links for ideas on what skill may suit you. Perhaps sell some art on the side to supplement.

Thanks for the link, I'm reading some of it now, it's taking all my strength to do so though, since I've got zero morale, zero will power, and feel in a really bad way.

The only things that I can think of that I'd be interested in doing is selling my art, or working on the computer.

I don't want a business partner, unless it's just someone who I only contact over the Internet.

I don't understand what offering a service to an organization as a consultant means.

I like your plan to sell your art or work on the computer. You could create your own website to market your artwork, and get grant money to do that. That sounds like a great idea. Why don't you pursue that idea?

The computer work sounds like an awesome idea too, very doable. You could take some classes for the computer work, get a certification, then become your own consultant.

I know the poster Betterdeal does that type of work. You should PM him about it. I'm sure he could offer you advice.

Great ideas Ross. Both are very doable and definitely capable of drawing a financial profit for you. I think you'd be happy with both. You could probably even do both, side by side.

Medical transcription is done by LOTS of morbidly obese women who aren't remotely presentable in public or the perennially shy who are incapable of handling office politics and human interaction.

With the advent of the need to digitize medical records, it is a growing industry.

I know two in the industry who make upwards of six figures.

• Like 1
StrangeBehaviors

Run everything by your therapist as well.

Working from home can be good for some. But it can also be incredibly isolating.

People, in general, need some social interaction with others. Just being around others at ANY occupation can be beneficial even if you hardly speak or not necessarily like them.

Tom Hanks was willing to risk everything to get off the island after awhile. ;)

A part time job might be good for your financial and emotional well being.

Good luck!

• Like 3
The reasons for me wanting to do so are because I couldn't cope with having to work at a crappy job out of my home.

Ross

I must admit I find this attitude frustrating. You know how much I want to support and encorage you but do you have any idea of how many people would love a crappy job out of their home because it means they have a job, that they are paying their way and that they are not dependent on welfare.

People do crappy jobs. They would love a great job but they do what they have to do.

• Author
Ross MwcFan
Ross

I must admit I find this attitude frustrating. You know how much I want to support and encorage you but do you have any idea of how many people would love a crappy job out of their home because it means they have a job, that they are paying their way and that they are not dependent on welfare.

People do crappy jobs. They would love a great job but they do what they have to do.

That's them. I'm not the same as everyone else.

That's them. I'm not the same as everyone else.

We are all different. I know people who have worked through tremendous stress including terminal illnesses. You do not get off working when someone else works just because you don't want to do a crappy job. Sorry Ross but you need to start doing, you need to act.

• Author
Ross MwcFan
I like your plan to sell your art or work on the computer. You could create your own website to market your artwork, and get grant money to do that. That sounds like a great idea. Why don't you pursue that idea?

The computer work sounds like an awesome idea too, very doable. You could take some classes for the computer work, get a certification, then become your own consultant.

I know the poster Betterdeal does that type of work. You should PM him about it. I'm sure he could offer you advice.

Great ideas Ross. Both are very doable and definitely capable of drawing a financial profit for you. I think you'd be happy with both. You could probably even do both, side by side.

The only problems about trying to sell my artwork, is for one, because I make mistakes and rub them out, you can sometimes still see them quite easily, it's like you can't get rid of them completely no matter how much you use an eraser on them. So I've already got loads of pics like that which I don't think I'd be able to sell.

But maybe on my future pictures, if I draw very lightly at first, it should mean that I'll be able to rub out the mistakes completely, and then I could go over the drawing again once it's finished but more heavier.

I doubt anyone will buy my art work. I think it's great, but I can easily see them not selling on ebay. Maybe if I could get the art work out to a much larger audience, I dunno.

I do have a Youtube channel where I display my art work, maybe I could use that to try and help sell my art. but I've only got about 10 subscribers.

As far as making a living from it, it's not looking good.

• Author
Ross MwcFan
We are all different. I know people who have worked through tremendous stress including terminal illnesses. You do not get off working when someone else works just because you don't want to do a crappy job. Sorry Ross but you need to start doing, you need to act.

I don't think you understand the situation.

Ross

I don't think you understand how much good it will do you to get out of your house every day and work, even at a crappy job.

• Author
Ross MwcFan
Ross

I don't think you understand how much good it will do you to get out of your house every day and work, even at a crappy job.

Yes because we can already see what good just knowing that this is what is going to happen is doing me already.

Sorry to be harsh but I'm in a really bad way.

The only way getting a job would do me good would be to get one that I enjoyed, or maybe one that I found 'bearable'. Getting that kind of job seems like an impossibility though.

Edited by Ross MwcFan

Ross, since you are an artist, perhaps you could contact art galleries, art studios, and art stores. Ask them if they offer internships (paid or unpaid, doesn't matter because you'll get great experience). Ask them if they offer entry level jobs.

Like, if you get a sales clerk job in an art store, at least you'll be making an hourly wage in an environment that supports creative endeavors. And you probably can network socially through that job as well.

Or if you intern at an art studio or art gallery, think of the cool artists you'll get to meet and what great experience that will be to add to your resume.

I also like your idea of showing your artwork on your Youtube Channel. I would forget eBay and I would find an easy HTML editor program that's free (or ask Heart of the Lion to help you, he seems pretty website savvy), where you can build your own website. What you can do is scan your art, and attach it in the website, etc. Then after you create your website, you can add a Paypal account where people can click on your artwork and order prints or whatever. The last suggestion, is to create a Facebook page for your artwork. Everyone is on Facebook.

You can cross market yourself on Youtube (direct people to your Facebook page and Website).

All you need are the resources, and a few people who can help you achieve this. I really think you should go the art selling route.

And for the short term, get a sales clerk job, part-time, which will get you out of the house, give you structure in your day, make you feel better about yourself, and still leave you time to work on creating a marketing plan to sell your artwork. I have faith in you Ross that you can do these things.

Hey man, what's going on?

I've been doing the 'work at home' thing since I was 28, so 25 years this year. The best bit of advice I can give you is to give up on avoiding the world by working at home. You just do the work there. The work comes from the world, in one way or another. It's all connected. Interacting with people is required at some level of the process, even if by telephone/e-mail. You need people skills.

I've probably missed what's going on of late for you so my apologies if the reply wasn't fully cognizant of that. Explain further and perhaps there are options to look at which respect it.

• Like 2

Interesting thread.

I'm looking to do art/graphic design as well. I also code some (javascript, a little PHP Rails etc) so I would do webpages, and I would love to do post-production (video editing, motion graphics/visual effects).

I hear you, OP, about making mistakes - I'm getting to the point where my stuff looks like an adult did it :( but you gotta practice. It's not easy, so you'd better love doing it.

I don't have a stellar portfolio yet so I'm on eLance, ODesk and other freelance websites looking for really bottom dollar work. I'm competing with third world freelancers who can underbid me to death, so that's not a viable long-term strategy. I live near NYC so I go to as many networking groups and classes as I can make time for, but it sounds like OP is dead set against doing that.

It sounds like you've got some level of depression - again, I can relate. Making a business can be brutal, and it takes a lot of heart and guts to build it to the point where you can be your own boss and make a reasonable living doing that.

Best of luck!

Edited by mario_C
to be clear
  • Like 1
Yes because we can already see what good just knowing that this is what is going to happen is doing me already.

Sorry to be harsh but I'm in a really bad way.

I'm very concerned about you at the moment, Ross. One thing I'd say is that you seem a fairly caring, patient sort of individual who would probably do quite well in a supporting environment. Caring for the elderly or disabled for instance.

Another thing to consider is setting up your own business. Perhaps trying to sell your artwork on a website. Here's a link to a useful site about setting up your own business.

Business support, information and advice | Business Link

This would provide you with opportunities to go on free business training days...which would get you out and meeting people in a friendly and positive environment. Setting up a website, marketing, all that kind of thing.

As far as the financial side of things goes, if you could show that you were working 30 hours a week or more on your business then you would be entitled to working tax credit even if you weren't actually earning anything from your pictures....but it wouldn't be much, so you'd have to budget.

A part time job (the support worker type role for example) would help sustain you, and could be added to the 30 hours per week you were working to meet the WTC requirement.

I realise it's a lot of info to take in at once, but this is a way forward for you Ross. Starting your own business and taking the various supports on offer would supply you with a (limited) income from working tax credit and it would also provide you with opportunities to meet other people on free training courses.

There are manageable options out there for you, and they don't have to involve you taking a job in a bullying environment and "sucking it up". However, it requires action on your part. The agencies offering support wouldn't keep chasing you to keep you on track in the way that people on LS try to do. You would have to start being proactive and organised...and this is something you could address in counselling (assuming you are getting counselling - and if you're not, ask your GP for a referral).

• Author
Ross MwcFan
I'm very concerned about you at the moment, Ross. One thing I'd say is that you seem a fairly caring, patient sort of individual who would probably do quite well in a supporting environment. Caring for the elderly or disabled for instance.

Another thing to consider is setting up your own business. Perhaps trying to sell your artwork on a website. Here's a link to a useful site about setting up your own business.

Business support, information and advice | Business Link

This would provide you with opportunities to go on free business training days...which would get you out and meeting people in a friendly and positive environment. Setting up a website, marketing, all that kind of thing.

As far as the financial side of things goes, if you could show that you were working 30 hours a week or more on your business then you would be entitled to working tax credit even if you weren't actually earning anything from your pictures....but it wouldn't be much, so you'd have to budget.

A part time job (the support worker type role for example) would help sustain you, and could be added to the 30 hours per week you were working to meet the WTC requirement.

I realise it's a lot of info to take in at once, but this is a way forward for you Ross. Starting your own business and taking the various supports on offer would supply you with a (limited) income from working tax credit and it would also provide you with opportunities to meet other people on free training courses.

There are manageable options out there for you, and they don't have to involve you taking a job in a bullying environment and "sucking it up". However, it requires action on your part. The agencies offering support wouldn't keep chasing you to keep you on track in the way that people on LS try to do. You would have to start being proactive and organised...and this is something you could address in counselling (assuming you are getting counselling - and if you're not, ask your GP for a referral).

Thanks for being so understanding of my situation Taramere.

I've clicked on some of the links that have been given on starting your own business, but I've not really been able to, or understood how to apply it to selling artwork.

I really don't think I could ever make a living from sellnig art work, but I will give it a go.

I already have a Youtube channel where I display my art work. I guess I could put links on there to ebay auctions if I end up trying to sell my stuff on ebay.

However I only have 13 subscribers at the monent. If I ever was to get really big on Yotube, there's a potential to making some money from sellnig my art.

Maybe I should start producing more stuff and uploading it onto Youtube to get more subscribers. One of the reasons why I've decided to mainly draw famous people, is because having their names in the the titles of the videos and in the tags and discriptions will pull in more viewers, and potentially more subscribers, and people who would be interested in buying my art work.

I've heard that creating a websit can pull in a lot more viewers/subscribers to your channel. But I'm not sure how true it is or how it could work.

I've uploaded all of my art work onto deviant art too, not sure what good that would do though. There's something on there about people being able to buy your prints, but I don't understand it at all.

Edited by Ross MwcFan