My mental health hasnt been great recently, and had a really strange experience on the train the other night. I have been crying a lot (maybe twice a week) for the last month or so.

The other night, on the train I started rushing. My legs were shaking and I have never ever felt so much energy in my body- it was like taking a really strong ecstacy tablet- very similar. I cant say it was unpleasant, just incredibly strange. The sensation probably lasted 4 hours or so.

I am depressive by nature, and am still recovering from a a long term break up 3 months ago. But has anyone ever experienced that rushing feeling before?

No, not experienced that but had depression on and off for years.

Maybe you should get checked out by your doctor for the depression and the rushing. Sometimes these things can be caused by chemical changes in the body and maybe there is something they should be picking up on, a change in the balance of thyroid hormones or something.

Another thing to bear in mind is whether you had any filter coffee shortly beforehand. Caffeine can do strange things in large quantities.

todreaminblue
My mental health hasnt been great recently, and had a really strange experience on the train the other night. I have been crying a lot (maybe twice a week) for the last month or so.

The other night, on the train I started rushing. My legs were shaking and I have never ever felt so much energy in my body- it was like taking a really strong ecstacy tablet- very similar. I cant say it was unpleasant, just incredibly strange. The sensation probably lasted 4 hours or so.

I am depressive by nature, and am still recovering from a a long term break up 3 months ago. But has anyone ever experienced that rushing feeling before?

Only when i feel threatened or a situation triggers a memory of being threatened where i was abused..... fight or flight response....and depends if that situation where i get an adrenaline rush comes with anger or fear if it is a memory trigger.... ...i choose to run or stand and fight with a real threat or with memory i do some deep breathing and re-enforce it is only a memory there is no threat now so i dont need to react...there are ways you can learn to deal with that rush that is right for you ....you have to seek advice from a professional........deb

whichwayisup

This sounds like anxiety. Adrenolin rushing through your body is normal but those who feel it as anxiety react differently to it and it makes you feel weird. Foggy head, dizzy, shakey.. I've been there. And I know how awful it feels.

Just know that anxiety isn't dangerous, even though it can mimick many other health issues, you won't die. You may feel like passing out or throwing up, but keep in mind, the anxiety is not going to kill you.

The key is not being afraid of it. Allow it to soar through your body and embrace it. Distraction can help, putting on music, do some cleaning up, or talk to a friend on the phone. Try to stay away from caffeine for a while and also drink tons of water. Exercise, do yoga, deep breathing and even write down your symptoms, when you feel that surging feeling inside you.

Oh yeah. Many times. Again, the key is not to let it take control over you and not be afraid of the anxiety.

The Tallest One

To me it also sounds like anxiety attack. Have had several over the years and there never pleasent. Had a brief but intense one this morning that really bothered me. I also suggest seeing a family doctor about this.

• Author

Thanks for the advice. I agree I have been very anxious recently and my legs shake at work. I used to take medication, but resolved to quit all medications two years ago - I function ok, but get relapses sometimes.

One thing I would say about this, is that it wasnt unpleasant (the rushing i spoke about) - I know that sounds strange, but I felt powerful, was listening to hip hop, and felt like i could take over the world. Before you ask i hadnt taken drugs but reminded me of taking speed years ago.

Mental illness doesn't exist.

Try and do case work with people with mental health issues - you would see that it does. Just like your body doesnt feel great when you have the flu, your body doesnt feel great when your brain is overloaded, or lacking in serotinin - its exactly the same. My best friend after the break up of his relationship and his brother commited suicide, went on a six day rampage where he set fire to a city centre shopping area - they sectioned him and found he was bipolar. He is the most functioning member of society now, and says medication prevented him from killing himself.

Just like people with heart conditions need help, so do those with brain functioning issues. While I dont take medication myself, the consequences of say a schitzophrenic going without can be incredibly distressing.

Red Arremer

4/10, good troll idea but the execution falls flat.

OP, if you've got a history of anxiety that would be my first thought. Anxiety is fun because it can mimic pretty much any physical symptom, up to and even including a heart attack if it's severe enough.

Feelin Frisky
Thanks for the advice. I agree I have been very anxious recently and my legs shake at work. I used to take medication, but resolved to quit all medications two years ago - I function ok, but get relapses sometimes.

One thing I would say about this, is that it wasnt unpleasant (the rushing i spoke about) - I know that sounds strange, but I felt powerful, was listening to hip hop, and felt like i could take over the world. Before you ask i hadnt taken drugs but reminded me of taking speed years ago.

Try and do case work with people with mental health issues - you would see that it does. Just like your body doesnt feel great when you have the flu, your body doesnt feel great when your brain is overloaded, or lacking in serotinin - its exactly the same. My best friend after the break up of his relationship and his brother commited suicide, went on a six day rampage where he set fire to a city centre shopping area - they sectioned him and found he was bipolar. He is the most functioning member of society now, and says medication prevented him from killing himself.

Just like people with heart conditions need help, so do those with brain functioning issues. While I dont take medication myself, the consequences of say a schitzophrenic going without can be incredibly distressing.

Why resolve to quit all medications arbitrarily as if they are all just the same? They are not. Do you have a bias against taking medication? If so, THAT is part of your particular brand of mental unwellness--i.e. denial, avoidance, rash judgementality, willful ignorance, thinking you are the exception to everyone else's rule. Whatever you think about medication there are excellent reasons why they exist in the forms that that do today. Scientists have labored long and hard to understand the physiology of the brain and mind and how that physiology manifests in behavior and feelings. The field of medicine in this area has changed from tamping down the symptoms through sedation or stimulation of the central nervous system--a "down stream" approaches that do not address the chemical component of the malady--to working as far "up stream" as it gets by augmenting the neurotransmitter system so that down-steam medications like sedatives or stimulants are unnecessary. There is also an "element" involved in brain chemistry often ledgered under "medication" but it is really a "mineral" that the brain may need to make it's electro-chemical functioning more normal. And that is lithium. Why reject an element you brain is shortchanged on? (if that be the case)

Who are you to just dismiss the wisdom and trials of science, experience and expertise? If you want to wall out possible deliverance because you think the rules don't apply to you, then expect misery.

What you described sounds like a brief episode of hypomania, which is not unusual after stressful periods such as a break up. The cause? Very hard to tell, but my guess is it may be something along the lines of you feeling good for a brief period after a long period of feeling down felt much more marked than it would to someone who's not stressed, so you noticed it more.

• Like 1
  • Author

Hey Feelin Frisky,

Thanks for your comment. Toward the end of my post, I actually credit medication with saving my best friends life from suicide - I dont for one minute think it doesnt work and as a case worker, I am pretty clued up on the benefits of medication.

For me though, I had to quit them - Im a former drug addict, hence avanza, xanax, valium, sleeping tablets were pretty damn nice to have on prescription. Within a short space of time, I was trebling my prescriptions and turned into a zombie. It wasnt pretty, and after a sucidie attempt, under the influence of avanza, I quit all medications and now do intense amounts of exercise, eat healthily and live an incredibly active life.

Your right - medication is a cure for a lot of people. But for me, it was a crutch and I needed to fix other aspects of my life to really start helping myself. My comment was directed more at jiloxin, whos responses seriously offended me.

I will get a check up. Thank you everyone for your input I appreciate it - I did wonder about hypo mania I have to say - I had been sleeping for 13 hours a night, and then would have nights where I stayed up all night writing full of energy. Up and down. Thanks again.