Considering Committing Myself

Yes, yes, it's all true. At the end of this month I'm going to go take a tour of an in-patient psychiatric facility that has a specialized program for people who are suffering from PTSD and are having a bad time of it.

I've been having... quite a bad time of it lately.

I'm talking with my psychiatrist before I go on tour - but I'd like to know what the peanut gallery thinks. May be good for yucks whilst exploring the compound.

whichwayisup

Do it if this is what you feel you need. I support you 100 percent! (I can't find the percent key on my keyboard tonight for some reason..)

Feel better soon.

I've thought about it in the past, but have never tried. I support you, too, if you think that it will help. I don't think that I would like being confined - I need to be able to escape to the woods, the bookstore, etc. That's what tends to help me at least in the short term.

Feelin Frisky

If you're considering admitting yourself to a psyche hospital then obviously you are have a seriously tough time and my sincerest sympathies on that. I don't think it can do anything but good. Sometimes it's just yielding to the restrictions of the institutions that can make one want to get back out and not take life for granted. There are probably therapies and techniques for PTSD which is more cutting edge than say, drug abuse or depression so you may benefit from that. By all means look into the sophistication of the treatment on your tour and don't settle for any half measures or casual attitudes if you have a choice on where you can go. Best of luck and come out well.

If it's a nice facility and you understand all their rules and guidelines before you commit yourself then I think it's a great idea if you feel it will help you. I know that PTSD is not fun to have because I had a case of it after my bike accident 12 years ago where the sound of screeching breaks would send me into hysterics, and I dreamt about my bike accident for about 2 years as though it was on a constant loop. Now 12 years later I can ride a bike and screeching car or truck brakes only slightly bother me. I didn't use antidepressants, but I did use a lot of cognitive therapy techniques to help me cope with my case of PTSD. Have you tried cognitive therapy yet?

Is there a PTSD center or recovery program you could enroll in? That would make more sense than just committing yourself to an in-patient hospital where they may not even treat your PTSD. You may want to investigate PTSD resources where you live before you decide.

Since you live in Colorado, here's a good link for PTSD resources http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/pages/treatment-ptsd.asp

Edited by writergal
  • Like 1
Yes, yes, it's all true. At the end of this month I'm going to go take a tour of an in-patient psychiatric facility that has a specialized program for people who are suffering from PTSD and are having a bad time of it.

I've been having... quite a bad time of it lately.

I'm talking with my psychiatrist before I go on tour - but I'd like to know what the peanut gallery thinks. May be good for yucks whilst exploring the compound.

Dude, sorry bro. You don't belong in the debate section arguing over religion if that's how you're feeling. That crap gets you down.

• Author
Dude, sorry bro. You don't belong in the debate section arguing over religion if that's how you're feeling. That crap gets you down.

you get ALL the lolcats. now go away.

• Like 1