What do you do when you're depressed?

Nikki Sahagin

* Go on message boards/google. It helps me to realise lots of people have the same problems

* Talk to my mum

* Dance

* Write

* I'm attempting to learn meditation, so I also lie down and listen to a meditation video on youtube, especially at night. It only helps if you really focus on the words and don't let your mind drift off. You also need to find a video you can take seriously

* Make myself a nutricious meal. It reminds me that if I'm not feeling mentally well and I don't know how to help myself, I can still look after myself in one way

1. Figure out which belief is being triggered and then eliminate it doing The Lefkoe Method.

2. Go for a long fast walk outside.

3. Watch old TV comedies like SCTV on youtube.com

If you're truly depressed, talk to your Doctor. You don't have to choose meds, but it would be good to discuss options (like therapy).

whichwayisup
Do you talk about it with people, vent about it or just keep it to yourself?

I'm not very good at hiding how feel, it's pretty obvious if I'm down, others notice and ask. Sometimes I white lie, say I'm fine, just have a bad headache, depending who it is I'm talking to.

I talk to those whom I'm closest too, people I can count on and trust. Posting about what you are feeling helps a lot. Having input is good.

First,

You probably need to define your depression. Like, are you seriously depressed all the time (clinical depression) Or, are you a normally happy person that gets depressed sometimes?

Obviously, if you think that you might have serious clinical depression you should check with a professional IMMEDIATELY.

Now, if you're looking for a way to deal with the emotion of sadness, then there are many different things you can do. Personally, I would recommend examining your diet. Believe it or not, nutrition plays a huge role in human emotions. If you're constantly fueling up on Big Macs and Red Bull, you will be depressed.

Feelin Frisky

I don't accept depression of myself. I work to keep anything like it at bay by taking my medicine and keeping my mind occupied mostly on positives. A lot of what is called "depression" is not really depression and the word "depression" is a baggage word that implies too many things that aren't necessarily so. I've spent a long time understanding my own condition which is called "dysthymia". It's called low level depression but it's not a sadness to me. It's just a sort of slow laxness that needs constant care. A "love interest" is the best medicine for it.

Desensitized

I'll talk with my REALLY good friends about it. But that's about it. I can't talk to family about it, because, well, they're not very empathetic. But, I'm starting to embrace the bad days as they come and bow my head to them. Knowing that they too shall pass; a better day will come :)

I do different things:

-Call up/meet up with a trusted friend. This is usually a same gender friend (it's healthier when it's same gender) and they usually help me through the process

-Play a video game (I especially like role playing games as they do a good job of whisking you away to a fantasy land... nice to escape reality every once in a while. I also play old childhood favorites, like back in the 16-bit Super Nintendo days... because that brings comfort and nostalgia of a simple, perhaps better time...)

-Watch a movie or program I enjoy

-Journal

-Drive around with music blasting

-Exercise/jog

-Replay various situations in my head where I was on top of the world... what I did to get there, recalling the breaks, the blessings etc. and knowing it will come again

-Read the Bible/pray/communicate with God through Jesus Christ

-Go to church/church small group/hang out with church friends

I find in my hour of need, Jesus really does comfort. I also sing praise songs to Him. Even when things are really crappy, He is still worthy of praise, and when I praise Him, my heart and attitude starts to change for the better :)

Sometimes I talk to friends or my mum, but only the ones who've suffered with it themselves, so can relate.

Sometimes I hide away and isolate myself because I don't want to bother other people with it.

I brood in my room. I'll put on hard fast music. A good example is GnR or Metallica. Then I sit there and make up fantasies in my head to make me feel better. Eventually it goes away :)

Do you talk about it with people, vent about it or just keep it to yourself?

I take 100mgs of Zoloft daily and I talk to a therapist. That's what I do when I'm depressed.:)