Natural remedies for bad PMS?

Ruby Slippers

As I have gotten older, I have experienced stronger PMS symptoms during the week before my period, and it seems to just keep getting worse.

This past week, I was the usual -- moody, emotional, and irritable. But I was also tired and unmotivated, and had a lot of fatalistic, hopeless, dark thoughts. I didn't want to go anywhere or see anybody. The times I did go somewhere, the whole world was getting on my nerves. It had a clear effect on my productivity and the quality of my work.

I was very relieved when I started it today, and I feel much better already. Yes, now I have to deal with the cramps and physical symptoms, but those are nothing compared to the emotional/mood symptoms.

Has anyone tried anything to deal with these symptoms that works? I already have a healthy diet, exercise, take supplements, do yoga. I have had bad experiences with BC pills in the past, so want to avoid those. And I don't want any pharmaceuticals -- natural remedies only.

Hah... I can totally relate to those feelings of yours.

I'm currently on BC, but when I was younger I took some natural supplements containing raspberry extract, and I remeber they were pretty helpful for my moods. I've also heard that supplements based on chaste tree berries are really good.

• Author
Ruby Slippers

OK, I see some supplements for PMS that contain raspberry extract. They even have PMS tea! Any other suggestions, I'd love to hear.

Black cohosh and chaste tree berries supposedly work.

They sure as hell didn't for me though.

If you are having fatalistic and dark thoughts though, a doctor would be a better bet. Pharmaceuticals are really not as evil as they are made up to be.

• Author
Ruby Slippers
If you are having fatalistic and dark thoughts though, a doctor would be a better bet. Pharmaceuticals are really not as evil as they are made up to be.

I am talking to my counselor this afternoon, so I will bring this up.

I understand that pharmaceuticals can be life-saving for many, and I'm glad they exist for that reason. But I am very sensitive to chemicals of any kind, and would consider them only as a last resort. I would want to exhaust every other avenue (nutrition, exercise, mental exercises, meditation, nutritional supplements, therapy, support groups, everything) before trying prescription medication.

I'm a guy so I am going by something I was told; picking some guy at random & beating him into the sidewalk often helps. Let me know... I'll be home :)

Star Gazer

Vigorous exercise. The blood rush will soothe aching muscles and cramping, sweating will flush some of the bloat (but drink lots of water too), and most importantly, the natural endorphins will boost your mood.

I'm a guy so I am going by something I was told; picking some guy at random & beating him into the sidewalk often helps. Let me know... I'll be home :)

Lol, man beating is good even if not on a period. I hear it is good for the skin and can double as part of an exercise plan. :p:laugh:

Take care,

Eve x

Afishwithabike

I don't have bad PMS, but I used to have really bad cramps with my period. I found that by increasing my intake of omega-3 fatty acids (I take a supplement), B vitamins and magnesium, the cramps are so, so much better. There have been times I've had my period without painful cramps.

Frequent orgasms. I'm not kidding you. Masturbation for me has been the most pleasurable and satisfying right before my period.

• Author
Ruby Slippers
Vigorous exercise. The blood rush will soothe aching muscles and cramping, sweating will flush some of the bloat (but drink lots of water too), and most importantly, the natural endorphins will boost your mood.

I'm pretty athletic and work out regularly and quite vigorously -- usually 1-3 hours 4-6 times a week. But during this last wave of PMS, I cut back on the exercise, as I was feeling really run down and crappy. I'm sure that didn't help.

I found that by increasing my intake of omega-3 fatty acids (I take a supplement), B vitamins and magnesium, the cramps are so, so much better. There have been times I've had my period without painful cramps.

Good to know. I started taking fish oil, vitamin E, a B-complex, and other supplements about a month ago. But during this down time, I haven't been good about taking them. I'll get back to that.

Frequent orgasms. I'm not kidding you. Masturbation for me has been the most pleasurable and satisfying right before my period.

I masturbate daily and have an average of 3-6 orgasms a day. It's usually great, but during the worst of PMS, it actually made the abdominal pain worse -- which sucked!

I just talked to my therapist, and she said the depressive-type symptoms were concerning. She said that, like me, she doesn't like to lean on meds unless absolutely necessary, but brought them up as a possibility. I said I would like to exhaust every other avenue before trying that, but I'll consider it a safety net option, just in case other things are not working.

She also recommended I get a full physical with bloodwork, just to make sure nothing is off. I'm overdue for my gyno checkup, so I will get this done then, too.

Thanks for all the ideas, y'all. I'm still feeling overwhelmed and pretty unmotivated, but I know there are things I can do to feel better. Now I just have to do them. I've had a lot of unusual stresses in the past month, and they have just kept piling on. Hopefully July is a better month.

• Author
Ruby Slippers

Being mean isn't my style. But I feel like I would give my right arm for a sweet guy to cuddle with for a while.

Feelin Frisky
I am talking to my counselor this afternoon, so I will bring this up.

I understand that pharmaceuticals can be life-saving for many, and I'm glad they exist for that reason. But I am very sensitive to chemicals of any kind, and would consider them only as a last resort. I would want to exhaust every other avenue (nutrition, exercise, mental exercises, meditation, nutritional supplements, therapy, support groups, everything) before trying prescription medication.

Consider however that a lot of those so-thought "naturals" are very non-specific and actually are small amounts of toxins that effect many of the body's and the brain's systems whereas a pharmeceutical can be just one well-tested substance that works only on one targeted thing. I'm not trying to sell you on anything--just advise that with the herbs it's always non-specific and always involves small amounts of toxins that have drug-like properties. Be well.

• Author
Ruby Slippers
Consider however that a lot of those so-thought "naturals" are very non-specific and actually are small amounts of toxins that effect many of the body's and the brain's systems whereas a pharmeceutical can be just one well-tested substance that works only on one targeted thing. I'm not trying to sell you on anything--just advise that with the herbs it's always non-specific and always involves small amounts of toxins that have drug-like properties. Be well.

Something to consider. But right now, the supplements seem to be doing me good. I have never had much luck with pharmaceuticals, though.

I'm sure it's all good and bad for you in some ways. Supplements just seem to fit better for me.

• 5 weeks later...

You could be perimenopausal. Go to Whole Foods and buy ProGest cream. It's natural progesterone. It should be able to balance your hormones. There are instructions on the label.

Otherwise, see your gyno and ask for a Female Hormone Panel of blood tests to know for sure what is going on.