"Being happy is a choice"

Silly_Girl

This came up in a conversation today. I suppose the old 'life hands you lemonades...' joke rears it's head here.

I never used to believe that happiness was an active choice, but as I grow older I find I am luckier and luckier, though in practice damned hard work and a positive outlook are probably much more the cause than 'luck' itself.

Just wondered whether anyone else feels that happiness on a daily basis is a question of perspective....

sadintexas

Have to keep it short because I'm terrible at typing on my iPhone but...I totally agree that much of it is down to perspective and priorities. Will comment more later but yes I agree.

This came up in a conversation today. I suppose the old 'life hands you lemonades...' joke rears it's head here.

I never used to believe that happiness was an active choice, but as I grow older I find I am luckier and luckier, though in practice damned hard work and a positive outlook are probably much more the cause than 'luck' itself.

Just wondered whether anyone else feels that happiness on a daily basis is a question of perspective....

Silly I think this is in the wrong forum unless of course you are continuing your debate from the "pathetic" thread and how long it should take someone to be happy?

I think it's definitely a matter of perspective, and I think it's a lot about being grateful for what you have. But I agree with Ross in the sense that some are born into more favourable conditions for happiness than others.

Being happy is most definitely a choice. The people I admire most are people who've overcome terrible situations to be a positive influence to others. It can be done. It's done all the time.

At a certain point, you simply decide how best to proceed in life. You put the past away and you realize you can author the upcoming chapters in your life.

Yes, it's really that simple.

Ruby Slippers

I agree that your emotional state is rooted in your mind -- inside you, not in the world out there. Sure, external factors affect us. But how we deal with and respond to those forces is entirely up to us.

Most classic reggae music was written and performed by poor, downtrodden people. Music is what they use to lift themselves up. Some of the best reggae is remarkably uplifting.

Here's an example.