Figuring out oneself....

It was very interesting as I read the responses from my last thread about "I hate living". Not sure who mentioned it but someone mentioned something really interesting about knowing who you are. I find that to be a problem, because don't really know who I am. I guess I build up negativity and deal with different situations and that is a portion of who I am and how I take care of things. But do you know yourself, like spiritually and mentally. I always wonder how someone can find oneself. Does anyone know.

I can't say this is THE roadmap to finding oneself, but for me, it involves digging up the causes behind my actions. Some of this involves reading about how people think and behave either in psych texts or any other sort of self-help type information (of course, not all of it is good - you have to choose good sources).

I start from the premise that a person's natural, normal state of being is to be peaceful and content. Any other feelings must have a cause - so I dig around to find the cause.

This is not a rapid process. I've been doing it since I was in my teens and only just in the last few weeks have I unearthed the probable cause of one of my thornier problems. Now I can set about repairing myself and solving that problem. And, of course, just when one thinks one has sorted oneself out, along comes someone to challenge you or to whom you really ought to explain something - or else you react unexpectedly to something -and you're off digging again :)

There are heaps of possible reasons for the ways you feel, react, and behave and it takes a fair bit of digging to sort these out. Some of the causes can even be physical; you really need to learn about how the physiology can affect the brain and vice-versa.

I didn't so much start out figuring myself out as trying to figure out why we all don't think alike - and I continue to be fascinated by everything to do with human psychology because many of the answers lead to even more questions.

Another part of 'finding oneself' is knowing one's values and ideals - again, this can take some time and requires big chunks of thought. When ethical issues come up, what position do you take - and what are your reasons for them?

In short, it's a long but very interesting and worthwhile process, IMHO.