How can I talk myself out of fear and have more confidence?

I basically have a test to take that determines my entire career. It's causing me to feel panic and isolated from others. I know a lot if information but my fear of failing is making my mind a mess. I don't know anyone whom I can relate with over this and I don't know how to talk myself through it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I wish fear didn't over power my mind and body.

I wish I could feel relaxed and confident when I do take it.

ShatteredReality

You have a few options...you can take kava root or some other natual relaxer until after the text. In college some of the tests I took were $125 each time I took them...to calm the nerves I would take a shot or two of frangelica and put it in my coffee and down it 20 min before the test...not enough to get tipsy or anything at all like that - just enough to take the edge off. As an FYI - I don't drink. So I would not normally recomment this...but it did seem to work for me at the time.

• Author
You have a few options...you can take kava root or some other natual relaxer until after the text. In college some of the tests I took were $125 each time I took them...to calm the nerves I would take a shot or two of frangelica and put it in my coffee and down it 20 min before the test...not enough to get tipsy or anything at all like that - just enough to take the edge off. As an FYI - I don't drink. So I would not normally recomment this...but it did seem to work for me at the time.

Oh I will look into this more. I know I migh need something to relax me. I wish I had a personality that let me think clearly for this test. It's anxiety and I have tried deep breathing but it doesnt help. I will look into those and what they do. Thanks for the tips! Ya my test costs a lot :/.

• Author

Thanks! I have been Tryin to do more positive self talk. It helps sometimes but I know part of it is a learned behavior..I got it from my parents. I have cone a long way though. Also have research some things to take and I found stress tabs! All natural. I am a tad stressed so It affects me physically and mentally. I just tried it today and it seems to help.

Positive thinking and stresstabs..

Restless_Journeyman

Get sunlight and eat some salmon. Both should help you with your mood.

When I took tests I always told myself that I was there and would do how I would do, no matter how much I worried. It made it a whole lot easier to stay calm.

What ever the test is I’m sure you are building it up bigger then it is. Just study small amounts for it each day and make sure you are resting, eating, exercising. Even if you fail you will survive. The shame won’t kill you. You’ll be aloud to take it again in months or a year or what ever. Even if you’re not aloud to take it again you’ll figure something out. You’re going to be fine no matter what happens so just study as little as you need to be confident and then relax. Even if you’re scared the day of you’ll feel better afterward. So what is the test? (feel free not to answer if its to specific)

Have you tried relaxation & stress reduction CDs?

My therapist recommended them and they've helped immensely.

Look on Amazon using the keyword "relaxation and stress reduction" and read the reviews. They're not simply the sounds of the ocean, forest, whatnot. They have techniques for you to exercise throughout your day.

Good luck. :)